How To ~ Boot Release Fix

Strudul

Originally tried the "penny" mod - stuck some hard leather discs in the boot poppers, but they've become deformed and I wasn't keen on the extra pressure inside. Took them out and instead moved the boot latch itself down a couple mill and now it's popping open perfectly again.

Didn't see a guide on this, so decided to make one (did just find one from 2013, but no pics, so hopefully this will still be useful to someone)...

1. Open the boot

May require two hands, but hopefully we'll soon have that sorted.

strudul1.jpg.f110e07f166e823213217bc66116287c.jpg

2. Pull the rubber seal strip up out of the way

This just makes it easier to get the trim off and on.

strudul2.jpg.0ea1f3d90cd42754471da29d9b4c0dc9.jpg

strudul3.jpg.cdc38b9edaf35ae70bb7421291913e30.jpg

3. Pull off the plastic trim

Get your fingers underneath at the edges and give it a jiggle up. Can be a bit stiff, but it's just held on with some clips. Work your way along and mind the interior light, it'll probably pop out itself, just don't go crazy.

strudul4.jpg.28c8bfad7b15055b76ff6f11e880fade.jpg

4. Lay the trim to the side and find the latch screws

Again, mind the interior light.

strudul5.jpg.6e52e1380d65a6a2be7159a604206a2b.jpg

5. Loosen the nuts

Highlighted by the red circles. I think it required a 12mm socket. A turn or 2 should do it, just enough so the latch can move up / down.

strudul6.jpg.b44508c1320b9804059e70584d5bd7ae.jpg

6. Re-position the latch

Initially I moved it all the way down, but it was popping up too violently for my liking. Turns out I only needed to drop it my a millimetre or so - you can see the mark on the metal from where the washer used to be on the RHS one. Your results may vary, it depends how springy your springs are and whether you choose to do this in combination with the "penny" mod.

7. Re-tighten the screws

Just do them finger tight and test it until it (hopefully) works. Once you find an amount that works, use your socket and tighten them properly.

8. Reattach all the trim

Don't forget to push the rubber strip back into place.

9. Go show off that your boot opens with 1 press

Hope it works for you, enjoy. :thumbs:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

i have also done this lowering the lock mechanism but I still need 3 washers in the poppers to get the lid to open. It opens better now but now I have more issues closing the lid, needs a couple of attempts to drop the lid from high enough to lock OR i press the lid down repeatedly til it actually does latch.

It's a rubbish design doomed to failure which is why no other manufacturer has this on their cars. Grrr