**Interesting Info/Help Needed**JDM Slip Ring/Indicator Stalk Mechanism Different to UK

davidv10

Part 1:

So i recently had my slip ring in the steering column break which i have now replaced. The replacement was from a breaker off a UK Zed. My car is a JDM import, but i assumed the slip ring would be the same. And it is the same, to look at...

The indicator stalks are just pop in connectors and plug and play. So i connected up my JDM indicator/wiper stalks. Everything works fine except the indicator self cancellation!

When taking it apart and looking at it, the self cancellation is triggered by 2 protruding bumps on the slip ring that makes contact with the indicator stalk when the wheel turns to a certain point, clipping the indicator bracket and knocking the indicator off. Now these bumps are at about 2 45degree angles and not straight 180degrees apart. Which means with the indicators being connected on the other side, the indicators are not clipped and cancelled at the correct point. So when turning right the indicators cut off too early and when turning left they cut off too late (i.e. not until i start turning right).

Therefore it means that the JDM slip rings are different as they must have the protruding bumps in a different place. Why would Nissan make them different?!

So part 2:

The UK slip ring i bought came with the UK indicator stalks, so i thought i would swap my JDM stalks out for these ones, as they are the UK way around and so will self cancel correctly.

The only thing i had to do was to move the plug in cable a little that clips into the wiper stalk to the other side so i could plug it in there.

As soon as everything was reconnected the main beam came on straight away, until i turned the ignition off, and none of the stalk controls worked.

Does anyone have the faintest idea why the UK stalks in a UK slip ring wont work with the JDM car???

I cannot understand why the wiring loom would be any different for this?! As everything is exactly the same, just the connector is on the stalk the other side of the slip ring! And its not that the stalks are different, as the JDM stalks work fine in the UK slip ring...

Edited by davidv10

• 3 weeks later...

im not sure about your issue but i know some bits of the loom are diffrent a uk model without cc and audio button can fit it plug and play i fitted them to my import and had to splice some wires in to get them to work due to the lack of a connector.....

sorry doesnt help your issue but after stripping out my dash being told ide have a connector turn out so i dont so there are some diffrences in the looms

• 2 months later...

Im still just having to manually cancel off my indicator one way. As im using a UK slip ring on a JDM car. I am keeping an eye out for a JDM slip ring but until then there isnt much i can do... Apart from rip up the dash and look at changing main wiring looms. But that could cause a whole load of issues! So im just making do atm...

Edited by davidv10

• 1 year later...

Hi, very new here & this may sound daft but does the UK Spec Z have the indicator stalk on the left and is that how you have yours configured?

I'm looking at buying a JDM 350Z but before I plunge I need the indicator switch action moving to the left side (like most UK cars), could I do this with the UK Slip ring & UK indicator stalks?

Any help appreciated as I'd really like to have the 350!

Edited by KBZ
Reply notification set

4 hours ago, coldel said:

Any reason you want to do it? I have an import car (not a zed) and actually prefer the indicator stalk on the right, feels like it is in a much more natural position for some reason!

Yeah, I'm the same. It was a bit of a change for me when I got my 350z.

Aye, I've a bit of a damaged and duff right arm/hand, it works OK once it's on the wheel but lifting it to the stalk each time is a definite strain.

So, do the UK spec Zs have the stalk on the left? Will it need a wiring harness change to UK as well as the UK slip ring/stalks?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2019 at 17:57, KBZ said:

Aye, I've a bit of a damaged and duff right arm/hand, it works OK once it's on the wheel but lifting it to the stalk each time is a definite strain.

So, do the UK spec Zs have the stalk on the left? Will it need a wiring harness change to UK as well as the UK slip ring/stalks?

I know you will definitely need a UK slip ring with the stalks, but not 100% on the wiring loom. My guess would be not, as the connectors into the slip ring are the same. But thats only a guess...