Advan AD08 or A048 anyone?

Rob350

Need new tyres soon, was thinking ad08s, Iv used a048s for a track car once and were really good,

Are the a048 more of a track version of the ad08s? Not the r specs.

They have a very similar tread pattern.

I daily the car, do 3 track days a year, and drive slow in the wet anyway so no concern about wet grip really.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Been googling a bit, a048s are reeeal expensive brand new.

So thinking ad08s or ad08r, there's only £15 difference per tyre,

Anyone used any of them?

Also, could I go 40 profile instead of 45 possibly? And 255 instead of 245?

If got standard rays

You should be able to go 40 profile all round with no issues to the TCS systems. Some people have, but they're a minority.

I'd always pick AD08R over the regular ones, I'm amazed you can still get thenon-Rs if I'm honest as they're very old spec and aren't even listed on Yokohama's website any more. What are you running right now?

What geo settings are you running? AD08Rs are fairly soft, you might find yourself replacing them more often if your settings are off.

The two rears are nankang ultra sport ns2 and 1 front is nankang ultra sport ns2 and the other is atrezzo zsr (budget tyre i think)

they came on the car when I got it in September, but there all near brand new, so I'll probably just sell them off as part worns on ebay or something,

I don't know what geo its got, I know iv got spacers all round and eibech lowering springs on.

I know a full geo needs doing I can see the rears have abit of camber, the the fronts look pretty straight though

in March I'm planning on getting all 4 tyres and alignment done probably to factory specs, unless you think a slightly different setup would be better?

Jesus, mixed tyres across an axle is a huge no-no! Please, get them changed like yesterday. Seriously, that's really dangerous.

If you don't know what you like then yes, might as well get it set to factory and go from there. Have the front toe set as close to neutral as you can though, and you don't really want more than 1deg of neg camber on the rear. But don't wait until March.

Cheers,

I absolutely hate having Mismatched tyres, its not too bad at the minute because I'm not doing any spirited driving at all with these on.

Also because its been wet and cold since I bought it so i am yet to find out how well the handling is and what the characteristics are of the car so I can compare it to my honda s2000 I had before this,

(which handled like a beast, light and nimble, massive grip and didn't really oversteer because there isnt much tourqe)

I had an ap1 so there was no traction control and 9k rpm, it only oversteered when you pushed too much really, unlike the z which can kickout easily with traction off, so ill have to change my fast driving style to suit I think, but dryer weather will be on its way soon and i cant wait to learn the limits of the car and take it for a good blast on the twistys.

Every sports car ive owned ive always changed the tyres to matching Oem tyres all round unless it came with some, so this will be the first time I'm trying non Oem tyres,

The reviews are really good for the ad08 and ad08r, just need a little bit of heat in them first before giving it the full beans, I'd rather have sticky performance tyres that need changing every 12 to 18 months than average tyres that last longer to be honest.

It's not your driving you need to be concerned with, it's when Doris The Blind pulls out in front of you and you need to make a rapid change of direction. That could be the difference between the car responding correctly and you putting it into the armco.

Tbh if you want decent tyres, I'd be putting MPSS or MPS4 on instead of the AD08R. You'll have 90% of the dry traction and 200% better wet traction, which you'll want if the TD is a wet one. Plenty of us on here run the MPSS on their cars, and there is no better road tyre available right now for 18" wheels. Trust me :)

What do think to mps 2s, 3s or 4s compared to mpss for slightly cheaper option?

I'm finding mpss at

245 45 r18 at £170 and

225 45 r18 at £150

And I need a full alignment done at £100ish

That's like 750 for tyres, byy eckkkk, (as the northerners say)

PS4S aren't out just yet, March (?).

I've been using PSS since 2013, one more set before going to PS4S.

Up to you what you want on there but I'll not use another brand\model unless it's just a set for track days.

Decent tyres = £

You'll just have other trade off's with cheaper ones.

MPS4S aren't available in 18", so irrelevant right now.

MPS2 are old hat, don't bother.

MPSS are utterly brilliant.

MPS4 are supposed to be significantly better, despite not being a successor to the MPSS. I'll likely be going to MPS4 or MPSC2 after my current MPSS.

You should go for the AD08R's you wont regret it, they are the control tyre for the sprint class at World Time Attack for a reason. Yokohama changed compounds for the "R" to work better in the wet. These can't even be compared to high performance road tyres, If you're doing 3-4 track days a year these are the right for the job, you'll destroy even the best "road" tyres like MPSS on track where as AD08R will take the high temps and loads with no problem at all.

Even in the wet they grip really well and more importantly they give up their grip really progressively and as a result on road they perform well too. The AO48 is a full on track tyre which is fine but probably a bit full on for daily/track use car such as yours and mine.

As mentioned the "R" replaced the previous tyre so any stock you can find will be quite old now and probably best avoided for such a small cost and drop in performance.

• Like 1

You should go for the AD08R's you wont regret it, they are the control tyre for the sprint class at World Time Attack for a reason. Yokohama changed compounds for the "R" to work better in the wet. These can't even be compared to high performance road tyres, If you're doing 3-4 track days a year these are the right for the job, you'll destroy even the best "road" tyres like MPSS on track where as AD08R will take the high temps and loads with no problem at all.

Even in the wet they grip really well and more importantly they give up their grip really progressively and as a result on road they perform well too. The AO48 is a full on track tyre which is fine but probably a bit full on for daily/track use car such as yours and mine.

As mentioned the "R" replaced the previous tyre so any stock you can find will be quite old now and probably best avoided for such a small cost and drop in performance.

Spot on. Have them on my car and I love them. Excellent tyre. Even at wet I'm faster then I was on sport tyres. Only dowside iz 0 conform. They have a very strong side wall and they are noisy. But the rest just word of praise

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I've just fitted Yokohama AD08R on my 313 ... 245/40/18 F & 265/35/18 R... So far they seem ok & inspire confidence?

Had AD048 on my Merc SLK... They stuck like the proverbial but didn't last long & are prohibitively expensive in comparison imo...

The A048 is old hat and discontinued and has been replaced with the A052.

I am trialing a set of the A052s at the moment and initial dry results are encouraging and superb in the wet.

Road legal.

Check it out here: http://www.tyrerevie.../Advan-A052.htm

They look more like gravel rally tyres looking at that tread!

Interestingly Yoko describe them as a 'street sport tyre' rather than the 48s which are a 'semi slick tyre'. Looking at their website I'd suggest they're leaving the 48s for the smaller track-focused cars (Caterhams etc) and the 52s are for more general-use larger cars. Certainly with the grooved bands all the way round they look more like a regular tyre and far more usable in the wet than than the 48/888 style tyres which were always a bit squiffy. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 52s coming in 19" and 20" sizes too, to try and compete with the MPSC2.

I am trialing a set of the A052s at the moment and initial dry results are encouraging and superb in the wet.

Road legal.

They look more like gravel rally tyres looking at that tread!

Interestingly Yoko describe them as a 'street sport tyre' rather than the 48s which are a 'semi slick tyre'. Looking at their website I'd suggest they're leaving the 48s for the smaller track-focused cars (Caterhams etc) and the 52s are for more general-use larger cars. Certainly with the grooved bands all the way round they look more like a regular tyre and far more usable in the wet than than the 48/888 style tyres which were always a bit squiffy. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 52s coming in 19" and 20" sizes too, to try and compete with the MPSC2.

Agree, they are an A rating for the wet and larger sizes are due before the end of 2017.

Road legal.

Didn't realise they had replaced the 48, the 52 looks like its taken a lot of tech from WRC tarmac tyres so not surprised its good and in all conditions as a result.