Engine rebuild needed

BenC

Hi All,

Just a quick one. I have an 04 Nissan Fairlady Z JDM with circa 75k miles. I believe that I have lost a piston ring, bottom end bearing or similar (guess is bottom end).

I am interested in either:

1. Rebuilding the engine

2. Fitting a recon engine

I am based in the SE of London and so far have looked at Abbey Motorsport and Dartford Rebore and Engine Centre, but not had any estimates.

If any one is interested in recommending places or providing estimates for a rebuild or recon refit please do let me know.

Thanks,

B

Sure thing. Been burning through oil quite heavily, say a litre for 1200 miles for the last 5000 miles. Started noticing a performance drop in throttle response and shortly (within 100 miles) after I heard a large rattle that I assume is the piston in the bore.

Rattle goes in sync with revs. Driven less than 500 yards after making the heavy engine rattle.

• Like 1

I think the light is low oil pressure as opposed to low oil level. If you see the light it's usually game over, as you have found out.

Probably spun the rod/main/crank bearings at a guess, if it's knocking with the revs it's most likely the rod bearings. Some can be done from the bottom with the engine in. But if the shrapnel has been pumped round, or is visible in the oil when drained then a full build or replace is the only way.

Feel for you either way

• 2 weeks later...

Does it still run or totally kaput ?

If it runs, can you confirm where the noise is coming from, using either a loooong screw driver or a mechanics stethoscope.

Everyone automatically assumes the worst but sometimes it's not !

If you're unsure, take it to Kaizer or Abbey.

For example - read this and look what people assumed first:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/101584-bad-engine-noise-any-ideas/

And check out what Sly at Kaizer did :)

It might still be burning some oil but they do anyway, and yeah maybe new rings in the future.

• Like 1

BenC,hope it's nothing big...I had an issue but in oil and smoke from my engine bay. I was mortified, but looking through the engine bay I noticed the dip stick was not seated all the way in...I little bit of the rubber seal was torn...ordered a new one from Z1 Motorsports and no issues since. I hope your issue is something simple.

On a side note Kaizer And Abbey are both 4 hours south of me, can anyone recommend a shop near Leeds ?

BCk on the subject of BenC...clogged pcv valve stuck closed ? That's a possibility and really cheap to fix/change your self.