New Z

Strudul

Didn't see this posted anywhere else...

Clicky

Nissan is building a new Z that German rivals will find hard to catch. A concept is due this year and it'll go on sale in 2019

Nissan’s legendary Z-car is making a long-awaited comeback. At the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show in November 2017, Nissan will reveal a next-generation Z concept powered by a range of powertrains that will challenge the best from Germany.

The new Z concept will adopt similar proportions to the outgoing 370Z coupe and, as our illustration reveals, it will have an edgier exterior with a far more pronounced grille that takes design hints from the latest Nissan GT-R facelift.

Under the skin the new model will be based on a shortened wheelbase version of the latest Infiniti Q60’s FR-L platform. Combining with this tried and tested architecture, three powertrains will be on offer. The first will be a tweaked version of Nissan’s in-house developed 3.0-litre V6 engine producing 304bhp.

In addition to the entry-level, naturally aspirated V6 Auto Express understands that Nissan is working on a hybrid alternative that could make the Z the most powerful model in its class. This flagship version would employ the same 3.0-litre V6 paired with a 160bhp electric motor for a combined 500bhp output.

Completing the line-up will be a 3.0-litre V6 bi-turbo that will punch out 405bhp and 475Nm of torque. Power will be transmitted through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. That puts the new Nissan Z-car face-to-face with rivals like Porsche’s 718 Cayman S and BMW’s M2.

As we recently saw in the revised GT-R supercar, we can also expect to see greater attention to detail inside the new Z with much higher levels of interior trim quality and materials. The production version of the Nissan Z car is expected to land in showrooms by 2019 starting at around £30,000 for the base model, with a price tag of approximately £55,000 for the twin-turbo.

nissan_render.jpg?itok=NmtcXPym

Edited by Strudul

Won't look anything like that. It's a design created by a bored Autoexpress intern on his coffee break.

Also, dual-clutch only. No thanks.

Actually the article was stolen from Car and Driver, who credit the illustration to Best Car Magazine :bleh:

Pedantry aside, I agree, it won't look anything like that (I hope).

See, I can't believe they'll bring a Z-car out with a V6TT engine: It's too close to the GT-R. And if they did, what price? £60K?

They can't shift the 370Z at £35K, and that's despite it being cheaper and more power than the rivals. Ford managed it with the Mustang, but it needed a V8 and a badge with history to do it. Looking at the new Cayman and TT as the usual rivals, Nissan would have to shove a small fortune into interior design to have a hope of picking up sales from there, and really the sports car market has never been where the money is, especially not now. I can't imagine they'll do another Z car, not for a long time and certainly not one fatter & more powerful than what we have now.

• Like 1

Dan while I agree it could get too close to the GTR you only have to look at the Infiniti Q60 to see how the next gen Z will go

The G35/G37 were 4 seat versions of the 350/370Z. By that logic the new Z35 will be a 2 seat version of the latest Q60?

The 3.0 twin turbo is under production and starts at £43k, and has a well put together interior etc. I don't see why the Z wouldn't follow suit?

Take what auto express says with a pinch of salt :lol: the Z will be priced below the Infiniti

Also some zed generations before the 350 were turbos so it won't deviate from zed tradition too much

But are people actually buying the Infiniti? Genuine question, I don't know. The Q60 is a billion miles away from the inside of a TT and a 718, and whilst it's decent it's still not up to standard (in fairness, not much is when it comes to the TT).

I dunno, I just can't see where the demand is from at that price. Who here would buy a new Zed at £45K (working on £40K base + options + crap exchange rate)? It's not like the 370ZN is selling like hotcakes, and aside from the GT-R it's not like we're blessed with a bunch of cars from Nissan that are dynamic to drive. Ford, on the other hand, are class-leading everywhere across their range in terms of a fun drive.

As much as I may knock the Mustang, as soon as you price the next Zed above it you've killed it, because who wouldn't want a V8 above a blown V6 for less cash?

Having scratched the V8 itch, it's more about the occasion, sorry Zedders, but for the money, Ford are peeing all over any mass producer ATM.

No innovation since the GTR, some nice dress ups of old models and all that. Infiniti are without a doubt, a quality fit and finish, but my God, they're boring to the N'th degree.

What's required is a back to basics ethos.

• Like 2

At least in a Zed you'd survive a crash. When in a Mustang you'll explode into flames due to it's 2 star NCAP rating.

Yeah whatever, so original :shrug:

However, it's a discussion re a new Z, something you'll probably never own.

You do know that you don't haven't come out all guns blazing everytime someone doesn't have a love in with your precious Mustang. No idea why you feel the need to attack me personally and try to belittle me by suggesting I will never own a new Zed, but that says more about you than it does me. :)

Oh and by the way, it was a tongue in cheek post, I'd still have the V8, but you continue to wave you willy about ;)

No innovation since the GTR, some nice dress ups of old models and all that.

Hate to break the news to you guys but Nissans boss Carlos Ghosen is a bigger EV/autonomous driving fan than me, Nissan's been busy pumping money into their version of autopilot hardware and the next generation EV.

http://www.ces.tech/Conference/Keynotes/Carlos-Ghosn/Carlos-Ghosn

They are however caught in the transition period, as they have had their fingers burnt by the relative poor sales of the Leaf and still very much dependent of shifting oil burners for their core business.

^ Depends on what you call innovation ;).

Panasonic and Tesla now starting to mass produce their next generation lithium batteries which are likely to be at least 30% denser in energy capacity, so Nissan need to get a move on if they want to stay in touch.

Wasting money and time on a twinturbo Z cannot be something high on the priority list for the boss.

However a hybrid plug in Z/GTR is worth developing, though if Nissan think they can squeeze a 100kWh battery pack into something the size of a GTR (Tesla can already do it even with current generation lithium cells) a full EV version with hub motors and potential for 4 way torque vectoring would be much more interesting.....it would certainly set a bar for 'ring times.

Cannot imagine how quick the GTR can get if Tesla can hit 2.4seconds to 60 using pretty standard off the self motors and in a package aimed at families. The cornering speeds would also go up a league if you can send power and 100% torque to each individual wheels instantly and not have to worry about transmission losses/keeping turbos spunn up. It'll make a traditional LSD setup feel a kiddy bike with training wheels.

Edited by gangzoom