Facelift headlights LHD vs RHD

Aashenfox

Hey guys (and gals!),

I'm aware, or at least, I believe, that there is a physical difference between a headlight intended for RHD and one intended for LHD.

Assuming this is true, does anyone know EXACTLY what that difference is, or rather, what part actually affects precisely in which direction the light is cast? And more importantly, if I'm willing to open the lights, can I convert them from RHD to LHD?

You might be wondering why I don't just buy a pair of facelift lights in EU, since I'm already here, but that is not as easy as it sounds, and buying from the US has insane import duties, and I'm planning to open whichever lights I buy anyway.

Edited by Aashenfox

There is a light cut off which shapes the beam pattern when dipped, this cut off moves when you select high beam, a bit like a shutter. The beam pattern for LHD is lower on the left than the right and vice versa for RHD, so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

Whether this can be removed and swapped around, I have no idea, but I believe someone was trying it on here.

*Edit* - Took too long to type so others have beaten me to it! Sorry for some repetition! :headhurt:

From my limited knowledge, I believe your main area of concern is the step. The output from the projector is set in a way so that it's lower on the side that faces oncoming traffic.

So for the UK for example, the output should be like this:

20161115_180757_zpsn4smeoxa.jpg

In Greece, it should be the exact opposite.

The thing which creates that shape is called the cutoff shield. It's placed in the middle of the projector, roughly (?) midway between the reflector bowl and the lens. These aren't my pics, but you can see it through the bulb "hole" below. This is taken from the back of the projector:

IMG_5169.jpg

The cutoff shield will be hinged, and a solenoid attached so that when activated, it pulls the shield down exposing more light for your high beams. This is a pic taken from underneath, which shows the solenoid + shield:

IMG_5171.jpg

So from the top of my head, you have a few options:

• Mod the shield - This won't be an easy task for sure, but you could file + sand down the shield to remove the step, then add a new partial shield using a piece of aluminium sheet. These don't have to be thick, and can be cut with regular scissors. Potential issues I can think of:
    • The piece of aluminium needs to line up with the rest of the shield (in terms of forwards/backwards) to ensure the centre of the beam is in focus
    • The piece of aluminium needs to curve in the same way as the OEM shield to ensure a clean cutoff (i.e. focused) from side to side
    • The piece of aluminium needs to be aligned vertically correctly, else you'll get a 'smiling' or 'frowning' output

[*]Replace shield - From what I hear, the bixenon projectors in the 350z are extremely similar to the Murano projectors. If you can get your hands on these projectors, you may possibly be able to transfer the shields over. This would probably be the easiest in terms of work needed, but challenging to find the donor projectors themselves.

[*]Replace the projector - Buy some headlights from another car and replace the 350z projectors with these. This will be a lot of work as you'll almost certainly need to create custom brackets, line it all up etc...

Personally, I think modding the shield is the best option for correcting the cut off. Plus, if you want to correct the cut off, it's either mod or replace anyway, so you may as well try modding first.

A lot of work, that's for sure!

If you do go ahead with it, I'd look into changing the fresnel lens to a clear lens as well to get a sexy, sharp cutoff line. Could also do a "colour mod" as well, where you lose a bit of sharpness but gain a band of blue along the cut off. Obviously up to you though as it's personal taste!

Here be the colour mod:

2uohox5.jpg

Happy to bounce ideas if you do go for any of the above ideas, although my experience is limited to 1 set of headlights I modded. :)

Edited by Hodaka
  • Like 2

That's great, I can't currently see the pics, but that's ok I'll see them later. :)

What I'm thinking now is to cut the flaps entirely across the width and turn the bottom part around, but I guess when I see the pics I might change my mind about that?

Theres alot of work for little gain in my opinion. There are risks involved with baking open the headlight and resealing it correctly, not to mentioning modifying internals without damaging anything (they arent designed to for easy access/removal).

Unless you can get a pair of dummy headlights to mess around with and experiment on first, id say you would be better off just either: living with the "wrong" headlights, or stumping up for some correct ones in the first place.

The flaps are curved by the way to match the curvature of the glass lens so you cant turn them around as such. You would have to grind/cut them flat or (as i planned on doing) attach some aluminium foil over the the step to smooth it flat.

Edited by Sargara

Theres alot of work for little gain in my opinion. There are alot of risks involved with baking open the headlight and resealing it correctly, not to mentioning modifying internals without damaging anything (they arent designed to for easy access/removal).

Unless you can get a pair of dummy headlights to mess around with and experiment on first, id say you would be better off just either: living with the "wrong" headlights, or stumping up for some correct ones in the first place. I'm sure it hasnt been a cheap mod for Hodaka for example.

Thanks for the warning, I'm still thinking. But what it comes down to is if I can find someone selling an old set in the UK for lets say 400 quid, that would be worth it for me, as I can't find ANY facelift models in Greece (the car is rare here anyway, but I have to assume now that the facelift never came here, such is the lack of ANY facelift parts anywhere). There's no shortage of breakers here, as manual labour is still highly valued, nothing is written off, and none of them have a facelift model.

So next thought was germany, but things are expensive there, will cost a grand even for the DEPOs (the good ones, that are almost identical to OEM) delivered. Then there's the US...screw that. Due to draconian capital controls and customs on importing luxury goods into Greece right now, it would be at best unpredictable how much it would cost, at worst I'd pay the value of the item again in tax and fees (recent example, cost me 400E by the time an exhaust that cost me $237 was in my house. Almost double. In that case it was worth it, but the lights would have to be $250 or less to make it worth the risk, that ain't gonna happen.)

Rock and a hard place as they say...

Edited by Aashenfox

The flaps are curved by the way to match the curvature of the glass lens so you cant turn them around as such. You would have to grind/cut them flat or (as i planned on doing) attach some aluminium foil over the the step to smooth it flat.

Just to add to Sargara's point, if you grind / cut them I'd still suggest you wet sand them and try make them as smooth as possible. As it's a projection, any imperfections are magnified and become super obvious!

@Sargara - Aluminium foil to flatten it would definitely work, but thought I'd mention that it would reduce the overall light output a bit. Also I'd personally opt for aluminium sheet rather than foil. Although it might be fine, I'd be worried that the foil would bend a bit from the solenoid movement.

Oh and I just remembered, some people use aluminium cans to cut shields out of, so you could use that! More sturdy than foil, easy to cut and as a bonus you get a drink out of it! Some people use scissors, but another method seems to be to run a scalpel over it a few times.

JVX is a guy who's very reputable on HIDPlanet. There's a guide here of him modding a Honda S2000 headlight. Not applicable for bixenons, but the way he used the can might be of interest. :)

@Sargara - Aluminium foil to flatten it would definitely work, but thought I'd mention that it would reduce the overall light output a bit. Also I'd personally opt for aluminium sheet rather than foil. Although it might be fine, I'd be worried that the foil would bend a bit from the solenoid movement.

^ True good point. Not sure why i said foil, I was planning on using some aluminium heat tape (used for ducting and the like). I couldnt get enough access via the bulb opening but if you are planning on baking the headlights open Ashenfox you wouldnt have this issue :)

I bought these Depo for <£400, wheres the 1 grand price tag coming from Ashenfox?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302090514994

• Like 1

^ True good point. Not sure why i said foil, I was planning on using some aluminium heat tape (used for ducting and the like). I couldnt get enough access via the bulb opening but if you are planning on baking the headlights open Ashenfox you wouldnt have this issue :)

I bought these Depo for <£400, wheres the 1 grand price tag coming from Ashenfox?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302090514994

That's weird, I've been trawling ebay for weeks and never seen that set so cheap, normally they are asking 700E plus delivery. A grand was a slight exaggeration. Thanks for the link.

edit: Here ya go...this was previously the cheapest I had found this set...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112155512431

edit2: Can see the pics now I'm home, very nice, thanks again.

Edited by Aashenfox

Yeh, I turn 40 in exactly 8 days, and that's about right on the budget for a pressie request from wifey. Then I'll finally have to figure out how to replug the loom on the lights (I have a base halogen model, to make things more fun. I've seen that US thread with the pinouts, I'll figure it out). Will get new ballasts and bulbs too just because I'm slowly replacing everything on this car.

Cheers again lads, that certainly helped me out. I've noticed in the past I just don't see certain auctions for no apparent reason, it must have to do with location.

Yeh, I turn 40 in exactly 8 days, and that's about right on the budget for a pressie request from wifey. Then I'll finally have to figure out how to replug the loom on the lights (I have a base halogen model, to make things more fun. I've seen that US thread with the pinouts, I'll figure it out).

Definitely a nice present, I'd be very happy with those! :thumbs:

Just quickly concerning connecting it to your car. I'm not sure about validity as I didn't need to bother checking on mine (came with xenons from factory), but I heard some people saying that the stock wiring loom for cars with halogen bulbs can't handle the current required for xenons. If you do need it, I know there's xenon relay harnesses available that use relays and power the ballasts straight from the battery to minimise risk.

I think it's worth looking into. :)

I'll bear it in mind, thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that. I already have an aftermarket HID system (and can think of a few choice Greek words to describe the awful thing, fitted by previous owner), so I've got some extra high current wiring mucking up my engine bay already, might be time to recycle it. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

Thanks man, yeh, the prices are way off at the mo, I'll just have to wait. Not getting cheap crap and can't afford originals, so just have to hold out for the Depos at the price you bought yours one day. Fingers crossed.

I did post somewhere on this already but can't remember which topic it was on headlights. I got mine LHD Depo Face lift from Holland. Exactly don't remember how much but around 400 euros

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Thanks Snjur, based on that and a bit of googling, I found these...is this the same shop? In any case, best price currently, yay!

http://fullcartuning.com/56464-depo-facelift-headlights-black-nissan-350z

Yup those are the ones. They came in huge box really professionally packaged and shipped. They landed in Croatia in few days after order. All in all nice purchase

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk