Michelin ps4s review

nissanman312

I had a chat with CG last week regarding tyres, as I'm thinking of moving to Cup2s (which apparently isn't really doable unless you're running a minimum of 2deg neg camber all round, as it requires a certain contact patch to achieve the correct grip levels. Anything under that and you'll simply wear the tyre too quickly in the wrong places) and I asked them their opinions on the regular MPS4. The consensus was that they're significantly better than the MPSS, mostly due to using the same 4-compound construction as the Cup2s rather than the 2-compound construction in the MPSS.

I mention this as the guy in the link says that he couldn't tell the difference between MPSS and MPS4S, which kinda contradicts that. Michelins are also quite noisy road tyres (their one big downfall), so it's surprising to hear him say that he found road noise minimal on the 4S. That said, road noise is subjective.

That's not to knock the quality of the review at all, and indeed he clearly knows his stuff, just quirks of different opinions is all. Interesting how he says that 18" and 17" are coming in 2018, which I find to be both very good news and also very surprising. Personally I'll be amazed if they do, but it certainly makes tyre choice for next year interesting. For now, I'm keen to try the MPS4 and see what they're like.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing, I found that quite interesting.

Dan - do you not fancy making a tyre review video for Michelin? You could ask for sponsorship and free tyres. Your the reason I bought a set of pilot super sports as well as many others on here. Imagine if you got commission!... Wait... Is there something your not telling us lol

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have been running the MPS4S on my 997 since last May. Probably done 10,000 mile or more on them now, including all over winter. Im very impressed with them. No problems with grip, even in the damp. Compared to the Pirelli P-Zeros I took off, the Michelins are actually quieter, although the 997 hasnt got the quietest of cabins at the best of times. One of the first set of tyres where I felt I could actually "feel" the road. I will definitely be getting the same again when the time comes.

• 8 months later...

I generally never take that as exact science, as new premium tyres will always out perform old. A worn set of Michelin's are more than likely going to give up all round performance to a new set of Dunlop's. Remembering how the car felt and performed when the last set were new isn't going to be easy, for a side by side comparison.

5 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I generally never take that as exact science, as new premium tyres will always out perform old. A worn set of Michelin's are more than likely going to give up all round performance to a new set of Dunlop's. Remembering how the car felt and performed when the last set were new isn't going to be easy, for a side by side comparison.

Good point. I have done 17,000 miles on my MP4S`s now and im still very impressed with them. The car handles like its on rails and its looking like i`ll probably get another 6000 miles out of them before they need replacing. Very good compared to the 16000 miles I got out of my previous Pirelli`s under the same use.

As a side note, when I was at CG earlier in the year they were staggered at how well my car handled when they unsuccessfully tried to get it to mis-behave by taking very tight roundabout at a speed of double what you probably normally would. They were surprised until they realised the tyres were MP4S and said that would be why!

• Like 1