diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

Just caught up again - Great work mate, love the R&D all the little things you are finding/tweaking :thumbs:  Keep up the good work.

Also I got to Google " Isophthalic resin " today thanks :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyser said:

Just caught up again - Great work mate, love the R&D all the little things you are finding/tweaking :thumbs:  Keep up the good work.

Also I got to Google " Isophthalic resin " today thanks :lol:

Isophthalic is a real word ? I was just making that up :lol:

• Like 2

The only way to get finer adjustment on the linkages is to use double ended left/right threaded rods and matching rose joints & locking nuts.

Or you could put a slight bend in the linkages and use a vice grip to flatten it to the 'right' amount :p

:) Draco

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dracostan said:

The only way to get finer adjustment on the linkages is to use double ended left/right threaded rods and matching rose joints & locking nuts.

Or you could put a slight bend in the linkages and use a vice grip to flatten it to the 'right' amount :p

:) Draco

Great minds think alike already tried bending the rod slightly yesterday wasn't working well and have ordered my left hand tap and die (already have standard right hand ones)  and 2 left hand rose joints so will hopefully get this sorted next week.

:)

As per the previous post I'm waiting for stuff to arrive so I can get on (AGAIN) so I thought I'd look at the strut brace, I was hoping that I could modify the brace a little to fit but there just isn't the clearance above

IMG_20170714_165256.jpg.060916fa66eb7a3363416629bceda304.jpg

IMG_20170714_165312.jpg.4100eb641ce4e673a4384fe851228807.jpg

so it's going to have to be more major than I had hoped (luckily I know where there's some stainless looking for a new home

IMG_20170714_165546.jpg

IMG_20170714_165357.jpg

IMG_20170714_165321.jpg

IMG_20170714_165243.jpg

• Like 1

The new linkages are all sorted now so the throttle bodies are all balanced now and it's made a massive improvement to the idle also I've been stuck in front of my computer for the last hour redesigning some new velocity stacks as I had a few clearance issues with the front ones just touching the bonnet will get one of these printed tomorrow hopefully also my new wideband controller arrived so I can get an O2 sensor in the other downpipe

:lol:

• Like 2

sorry for my lack of updates but  it's all been a bit slow I couldn't get the new velocity stacks made due to a problem with my 3d printer (awaiting spares) .

I have managed to get my other wideband o2 sensor in so now have one in each manifold which will help me with the tuning, which is getting there slowly but surely it gets more driveable and smooth every day

The strut brace is on hold until I get my gas refilled (tomorrow hopefully) but the big news is that I might have to rename my Z from Christine (after she tried to kill me) to Snarling beast as the sound the exhaust now makes

is so f****** awesome

• Like 3

have started on the strut brace took ages to get the bends right 

IMG_20170730_172540.jpg.7aa9de1049bcc193dab6e0373f1a3c5d.jpg

Now that bits in the rest should go a lot quicker also I've put fine mesh stainless filters over the velocity stacks and coated the stacks with resin to make them more heat resistant

I've not been too fussy with this as I'll be changing the velocity stacks due to clearance issues that is once my new 3d printer arrives as I had a major meltdown with my old one

and it's not worth repairing

I've also been tuning the car on the road with the help of my wideband sensors the fuel map's getting better all of the time once I get it a bit better and some of the bugs sorted out

I'll take it and get it mapped hopefully by the end of next month.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Bakkums said:

How is the car running now? Can't wait to see (hear) the car passing by.

the cars running fine sounds great lot of work still needs doing though one of the velocity stacks is just hitting the bonnet so i'm making new ones now that I've built my new 3d printer

VID_20170809_201656.mp4

also had some problems with one of my wideband sensors so I've got to fit a new one which arrived today once I get the new velocity stacks printed and the new sensor in I can get on with tuning

I also need to finish the strut brace and finish the crankcase ventilation setup

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark@Abbey m/s said:

what ECU are you using? good the throttle bodies fit under the stock bonnet. Great work.

I'm using the link g4+ plugin ecu very flexible unlike my old turboxs utec

11 hours ago, andybp said:

I'm using the link g4+ plugin ecu very flexible unlike my old turboxs utec

Yes a good set up to use, I see your still using DBW throttle , what throttle motor are you using?

You should of looked at the Link CAN Lambda set up.  Far more accurate and more reliable output than a normal 0-5v output lambda/AFR.

10 hours ago, Mark@Abbey m/s said:

Yes a good set up to use, I see your still using DBW throttle , what throttle motor are you using?

You should of looked at the Link CAN Lambda set up.  Far more accurate and more reliable output than a normal 0-5v output lambda/AFR.

It's a modified 350z throttle body with a lighter return spring also the outer throttle bodies have had the return springs removed

IMG_20170302_170753.jpg.a0ea3a061660c68160506d75f36a367c.jpg

IMG_20170303_105949.jpg.6f623d62fb0d44d039e4b465305077e1.jpg

IMG_20170305_160409.jpg.3f80c15cd6d5d8e6e84a998538eb2787.jpg

I did consider the link can lambda setup but I already had a new wideband lsu 4.9 sensor and controller so it was easier and £200+ cheaper to buy another of these

and since this car is only a toy and a test bed for my Mad ideas as Keyser calls them I like to keep what I spend under control

• Like 1

The wideband sensor issue I had is now sorted I now have the same sensors and controllers in both banks and I have designed and made new velocity stacks which are angled to avoid the bonnet and have a flat side to allow for fitting of proper filters consisting of shaped aluminium mesh and RAM AIR dual layer filter foam.

IMG_20170814_110007.jpg.5830faf39c27cee728bfa326355248c3.jpg

IMG_20170814_155451.jpg.b939b9001fde00b59b96af7d29f926dd.jpg

IMG_20170814_155504.jpg.db92e986dcd909316d9d0a3116f2f6d4.jpgIMG_20170814_155448.jpg.e6cc0e597f1bf6fcadcd1ae6372f4939.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

That's incredible but it doesn't sound right...or at all. :lol:  when do we get a video with sound bud?B)

soon I promise only have my phone I can record on and no phone holder in car :blush:

Did I really say your ideas were mad????

I meant YOU were mad :lol:

Its looking great mate..........

Keep it coming and any more whacky ideas you care to have a go at :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyser said:

Did I really say your ideas were mad????

I meant YOU were mad :lol:

Its looking great mate..........

Keep it coming and any more whacky ideas you care to have a go at :thumbs:

It's a thin line between madness and genius sadly I'm on the mad side of the line

as for any more wacky ideas I've been thinking about that recently and sadly I don't really have any (350 based anyway) once this particular project is finished so any suggestions are welcome

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, andybp said:

It's a thin line between madness and genius sadly I'm on the mad side of the line

as for any more wacky ideas I've been thinking about that recently and sadly I don't really have any (350 based anyway) once this particular project is finished so any suggestions are welcome

I'll have a think and see what I can come up with :thumbs:

• Like 1

so the latest update is pretty minor but has made a huge difference if you look in the picture below you can probably make out the maf sensor cable tied to the loom next to the 2 rear air filters

IMG_20170814_155504.jpg.961f8dec8adc305dfa661b881eeb07aa.jpg

this was still connected because the maf sensor also contains the air inlet temperature sensor which is required for correct fueling but being where it is this was measuring engine bay temperature 

so I have now drilled a small hole in one of the velocity stacks and mounted a bead thermistor into it and spliced it into the loom so I'm now measuring the correct temperature and the MAF is no longer connected.

so what's left to do ? 

top of the list is to get a decent audio/video clip posted before I get lynched.

finish the strut brace.

do something with the crankcase ventilation (not just a pipe hanging in the wheel arch).

get it tuned properly on a rolling road.

this project hasn't taken too long really and if I'd given up on the utec ecu sooner I could probably of shaved a month off but never mind it's nearly done.

I've already decided my next project after I've tidied up my interior will probably be air ride suspension and no don't be silly of course I won't be buying it off the shelf :lol:

• Like 2