diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

pipework arrived today was going to buy 90 Deg bends but I only need a short bend and they were all too long so bought 3 180's hardly any waste and effectively half the price as I'm cuttong them in 2

IMG_20170323_180319.jpg.6efcce9cceb1bcde78530e7485a2d002.jpg

IMG_20170323_180257.jpg.5a28c7a00f60e59d9b602337296d4f9d.jpg

I cut them this way so I can ensure they are all the same and perfectly square

will try to get a bit done this weekend if the missus has nothing planned for my time :blush:

:)

Edited by andybp

Another small update couldn't finish this today as I just ran out of argon for my welder :blush: but getting there.

IMG_20170401_113649.jpg.33705df4d16669d1c1b74c6787315ec5.jpg

will get a new gas bottle monday and get on.

Edited by andybp
  • Like 4

a  pic of the unfinished manifold fitted to check clearances a few issues nothing too drastic will get the manifold finished tomorrow once I've got some gas for the welder.

IMG_20170402_134826.jpg.3207716517287f97bd2e04f66fa579dc.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 3

Actually the half 180 bend pipes works better i think. I'd have reversed the intake pipes on the flange to create that overlap look. Not ultimately best for flow maybe, but visually they'd look neat and compact similar to......

IMG_20170402_172928_zpsebowvybd.jpg

• Like 1

:lol: I usually run out of gas in the welder just after1pm on a Saturday - my supplier shuts at 12:30 on Saturdays :wacko:

Coming along nicely mate :thumbs:

that's pretty much exactly what happened yesterday mines only open till ten I knew I was going to run out but was too tight to waste what was in the bottle on an exchange so I just hoped for the best

• Like 1

Hope to get this trial fitted to the z again this weekend to check clearances I think I may have to cut the inlet runners for clearance reasons then I can make up the spacers to join the throttle bodies and work out how I'm going to do the linkages I think that's gonna be a pain in the arse

IMG_20170407_170415.jpg.20a10044e6b48cf07de5625d99313e82.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 3

As expected I'm going to have to cut the inlet runners to get enough room to fit the velocity stacks gonna cut 30mm off in fact I've just done one side

I was going to use these 105 mm ones I made the other day(glad I only made one)

IMG_20170411_172053.jpg.c5f188553de0a576e49a4e78dd6fdc20.jpg

but that doesn't seem feasible just not enough clearance

will make a 70mm one to see how that looks :)

Edited by andybp

Progress is slow due to many reasons mainly the speed of 3d printing and having to work for a living but I have cut down the inlet runners 30mm off each side and made the velocity stacks 30mm shorter from 105mm to 75mm

also the first red one I printed was downloaded straight off the internet and was designed for a 45mm Weber carb so the mounting holes were off and the face was flat

eBHC74l.jpg

so I've modified the design making a new mounting flange with a recess in it to suit the throttle body

lLwXhdc.jpg

I have only made two velocity stacks so far another is on my printer right now so will hopefully all be finished in a few days

Edited by andybp

got the last of the velocity stacks printed yesterday I think it's going to look rather sexy if I do say so myself

oOSF3z3.jpg

I've started on the throttle linkage which is going to be a real pain in the arse I've changed my mind more times than a woman about how I'm going to do it.

Edited by andybp
  • Like 5

Like that a lot :thumbs:

I can see the linkage being "fun" but having seen your previous engineering skills I'm sure it will be an overally complicate and elegant solution:)

• Like 1

Like that a lot :thumbs:

I can see the linkage being "fun" but having seen your previous engineering skills I'm sure it will be an overally complicate and elegant solution:)

I wouldn't say overly complicated just as complex as necessary if that requires a flux capacitor or force field generator then so be it

• Like 2