diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

Very nice :)

So have you got / are you planning any supporting mods like cams and high compression pistons?

no this is not a quest for power or perfection I'm just playing ,doing it because I think it will be cool B)

:)

• Like 4

Not much of an update second set of throttle bodies have arrived along with the rubber o rings I will be needing and the longer bolts I will need to bolt the throttle bodies together once i have made up the spacers

also I have started to machine the standard 350z throttle body I will be using to operate my ITB's

vYlpPKs.jpg

This projects going to be a bit slow until I can get some reasonable weather so I can remove my inlet plenum and do some measuring.

Edited by andybp

thought I'd do what I can while waiting for some decent weather so I thought I would remove the tapered area of the throttle bodies where the injector usually comes in as in this application it's just a restriction as seen here

IMG_20170212_170324.jpg.78ff7198143ba39d3b8e9a9a87bc08a4.jpg

so after lots of measuring and a bit of programming, my milling machine is merrily removing the restriction for me but the only problem with computer controlled equipment like my CNC milling machine is the computer because sometimes they lock up for no reason so it did breaking an expensive carbide end mill and one throttle body :angry: but never mind just have to buy more.

Computer seems happy again now so put in a new end mill and the next throttle body and got started should get these finished tomorrow (if the missus let's me)

IMG_20170211_195143.jpg.76d383c20257bbaefef1966136f6be6f.jpg

IMG_20170212_170343.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 2

got two of the throttle bodies bored out today takes about 30 minutes for each one but I haven't had much time today these are the ones I've done

cGjyEV2.jpg

also for comparison next to a standard one

FD2SogI.jpg

the replacement ones for the one I damaged should show up next week but I'm on 24hr standby all next week so weather dependent if I get anymore done

also I checked the resistance of the throttle position sensors compared to the standard nissan one, the nissan one appears to half of the ones on the new throttle bodies shouldn't really matter as it should still give a 0-5v output not the end of the world if it doesn't work just have to find some suitable ones.

Edited by andybp

Just caught up - great work again mate, I'm sort of jealous of your mil as you can program it - but then it broke a bit so not so jealous now :lol: mine is just good old hand cranked with an auto feed on the traverse.

Keep up the good work :thumbs:

• Like 1

throttle bodies arrived early so managed to get all six throttle bodies bored out also the guy I got them from threw in a freebie and I also now have the map sensor to go with them

tIjdHKY.jpg

vKa6p2r.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 3

Got some good weather today so got my machined down lower plenum on the Z to check the clearances which turned out to good and bad

AArn9W3.jpg

The thing I thought might be a problem was the fuel rails but that was fine plenty of room

oDXBh8m.jpg

the thing I never even thought of, the oil filler was not so good

2900biq.jpg

Shortening and angling the ally tube the throttle bodies will be fitted into helps matters and I would have to do this anyway but doesn't solve the problem

xXbBD4B.jpg

After much searching I've ordered another rocker cover which should solve this particular problem which I'm sure is only the first of many problems I'll come across but if it was too easy where would be the fun in that.

Edited by andybp
  • Like 4

Minor update hopefully this is the solution to my clearance problem with the filler on the rocker cover

8ovDFi8.jpg

Not sure exactly what this cover is from an Elgrande I believe

I will have to make a filler cap for it and modify the breather at the back but that's minor in the big scheme of things

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

Interesting, looking at the filler neck, how about cutting it off the existing rocker cover, then draw a suitable shape that could then be 3D printed and bonded to the OEM rocker cover? :D

already decided I'm going to machine 0ne out of ally so I can give myself as much clearance as possible as it's going to be underneath the trumpet. so maybe with a filler at 45 deg pointing towards the front but will just make a temporary one for now so I can get it fitted
  • Like 1

So this is progress believe it or not this is my machined down 350z throttle body and the machined piece of ally about to welded to it so I have somewhere to fit the second bearing to support the output shaft

iAPKT1E.jpg

8yy7LPY.jpg

and here it is all welded together and machined to take the support bearing

OAOXKXn.jpg

I'm hoping to get this pretty much finished tomorrow

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

got a bit more done today, since I will be using two external throttle position sensors I need to re-route the cables from where they connect to the internal ones this is it stripped down showing the four contacts +5v 0v tps1 and tps2

wTAp1Qx.jpg

new connector wired in just need to do some fibreglassing now

PCgDMzF.jpg

also nearly forgot the mechanical side of it is finished minus the seal to protect the bearing because I don't have it yet

JH7Sg7r.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 3

stunning patience and engineering skills (not to mention photographic) but, respectfully,,are not the 350z efi ITB kits from £900 suitable, also I am confused over the need of the modified 350 orig throttle body in Addition to the ITBs - is this just an interface for fly by wire throttle?

ps you should knock up a personal VTOL & Ultima in your lunch breaks :)

On 3/5/2017 at 18:15, GriffGTV said:

stunning patience and engineering skills (not to mention photographic) but, respectfully,,are not the 350z efi ITB kits from £900 suitable, also I am confused over the need of the modified 350 orig throttle body in Addition to the ITBs - is this just an interface for fly by wire throttle?

ps you should knock up a personal VTOL & Ultima in your lunch breaks :)

The 350z ITB kits you're talking about are the OBX ones and with the import duty they come in at a fair bit more but as much as they are a Individual Throttle body Kit you cant just bolt them on and turn the key this is purely the mechanical components no throttle position sensors no way to open the throttles either cable conversion or Drive by wire no tuning solution either I'm guessing that a working setup would cost £2k+ at this point in time my homemade setup is set to cost me maybe £300 and yes the modified 350 throttle body is because I want to keep the drive by wire

At the end of the day the cost wasn't the big decider between buying and diy I just enjoy doing it

oh and this is my finished modified throttle body just need to sand and paint the fibreglass over the new connector

eTHMvTE.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

Amazing progress!!! Can't wait to see the whole ITB assembly :D

I can't wait either hopefully it won't go through the very very long development process of my rear mount turbo but really I'm not that fussed as long as I'm having fun

Andy! this is great as usual - your mechanical vision is top notch :thumbs:

It seems you can take something that works, almost destroy it with your milling machine, fibre glass and weld bits of scrap to it, cover it in paint and it ends up looking like something which came from a factory.. :teeth:

Personally I would have got as far as destroy and no further :lol:

Excellent and true car forum escapism reading as always :thumbs:

• Like 1