diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

18 hours ago, Dracostan said:

Sooo shiney  B)   ...    must resist :wacko: .................  can't afford :headhurt: .................................. it's my daily :blink:

Help, the Zeditus calls

That's going to look stunning - and I'm going to have to get the manifold flange pattern off you at some point. I have an idea for a tubular plenum of some sort!

Give in to the dark side :stir:

:)

This is probably a stupid question but, do they move in unison or individually in response to some individual sensor feedback? I assume they do move in unison, so if I'm right, then what's the big advantage of 6 moving in unison, over having a plenum where a larger volume of air is throttled by just one TB? Is it just responsiveness?

1 hour ago, SuperStu said:

This is probably a stupid question but, do they move in unison or individually in response to some individual sensor feedback? I assume they do move in unison, so if I'm right, then what's the big advantage of 6 moving in unison, over having a plenum where a larger volume of air is throttled by just one TB? Is it just responsiveness?

They all move together and yes it's much more responsive, you dont have the issues of  cylinders getting differant amounts of air (as long as you syncronise them properly )  look at the DE plenum thats why people use a plenum spacer, driveability is awesome as is the induction sound and they look so bloody Cool B)

• Like 2

The throttle bodies arrived today and I've stripped and cleaned them already and done some measuring and the 350 injectors are the same diameter as the bmw ones so thats one less thing to think about

the next bit is where it gets hard and all 3 Dimensional my head hurts already.

• Like 1

If it was me I'd Just hacksaw through after 3 and stick them on with some duct tape :thumbs:

It's quite surprising that V8 swap I did actually runs :lol:

I'm sure you will figure it out and come up with some incredibly complicated way to over engineer a  mounting and control  system for them - I for one am looking forwards to it :thumbs: 

Keep the updates coming :)

8 hours ago, Keyser said:

If it was me I'd Just hacksaw through after 3 and stick them on with some duct tape :thumbs:

I'm sure you will figure it out and come up with some incredibly complicated way to over engineer a  mounting and control  system for them - I for one am looking forwards to it :thumbs: 

Rubbish , I've seen some of your work if it's done with duct tape can you get me a couple of rolls  :lol:

and it won't be over engineered it will be engineered to the minimum level that my OCD will allow :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyser said:

Oh hang on a minute is this why your photo's are so blurry  so the duct tape can't be seen ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, andybp said:

Oh hang on a minute is this why your photo's are so blurry  so the duct tape can't be seen ;)

Thats why I use so much filler to hide the duct tape, the photos are out of focus to hide my bad paint work :p

• Like 1

preliminary measurements with the v10 throttle bodies don't look good at the very least it's going to be very very very tight there might even be another very in there, worst case is I use a similar format to what I have right now but with a cnc machined maniifold to go on top of the inlet manifold this will address most of the things I dont like about my current setup which is the mounting of the throttle bodies 

10 hours ago, Keyser said:

So am I to understand you are a little short on space for the new TB's then?

;)

Yea just a bit it's the injectors and fuel rails that will be the biggest issue, need to get some time to have a good measure

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't updated this project in a while not much to tell really, lots of sitting in front of my computer designing programming and then changing my mind and starting all over again

IMG_20171211_211241.jpg.177753cea3782b99267e3d673838cc6d.jpg

The design is pretty much finalised and will be similar to the current tubular welded setup but it will be cnc machined and obviously use the bmw v10 throttle bodies instead if the triumph triple ones

I've actually started making holders for the 3" x 15" square section ally that I will be using, I finished the first one tonight

IMG_20171211_204206.jpg.40d95c1095cce615bfb8f14b6401348b.jpgIMG_20171211_204147.jpg.eb610460db294c44df3b635d4b388005.jpg

I have two more to make before I can start machining the actual manifold

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dracostan said:

Having access to professional grade CAD s/w doesn't help the resisting !  :p

A teaser for you:

5a38090e25e27_VPlenumIntakeAssemblyTeaser.jpg.e8c05249b81383b60ef8c7609216f13f.jpg

designing in CAD is one thing actually creating is where it get's hard you could 3D print that ok if you had a big enough printer and the right materials (which are available ) but from what I can see you couldn't cnc machine it, well not in one piece anyway lends itself more to welding I'd say.

Yeah, the flanges would be CNC, but I figure I should be able to find the 40mm & 60mm stainless tube in pre-bent sections and straights and weld it up from that. Getting the 40mm tubes squared off to match the intake port shape is the bigger issue though.

The full piece:

5a383e8ad88c3_VPlenumIntakeAssembly.thumb.JPG.541978d11dd8631c1730c5fe99dbad48.JPG

I do have a 3D printer, but as the bed size is only 140x140, I think I will have to settle for a miniature of it for inspiration!

Edited by Dracostan
  • Like 1