diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

1 hour ago, Bakkums said:

What's the progress at the moment? Would like a update maybe with sound :teeth:

There's not much of an update I have fitted the new adapter I made for the fuel return system as the old one was in the way of the throttle bodies and finished welding the mounting bracket for the throttle servo

I am currently modifying the crankcase breather pipework which will go through a catch can and then be vented to atmosphere also I'm making a manifold to bring all of the separate takeoffs from the throttle bodies back to for the vacuum for the brake servo and map sensor but it's not finished yet as sadly I have to work for a living here's a few pics of the test fitting to keep you going

VVCuNhQ.jpg

hDuIfnS.jpg

:)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, SuperStu said:

It all sits lower than I expected, testament to your meticulous work no doubt. I thought it might interfere with the bonnet.

The velocity stack nearest the front passenger side is very close to the bonnet I might have to modify that one I need to stick my inspection camera under there with the bonnet shut to check

made the manifold for the vacuum today also fitted and adjusted the throttle position sensors

BlH6ukR.jpg

still need to make a short loom for the throttle position sensors and get some hose for the vacuum setup also for the crankcase ventilation I'm hoping to attempt to start the Z on throttle bodies sometime this week.

• Like 4

I've been editing some of these posts as all of the photo's have gone due to photobucket being a pain but some of the photo's I've replaced from imgur seem to be missing  though if I edit the post the outline of the photo is there but I can't be bothered to do anymore so it will have to stay as it is.:dry:

The missus let me play with the Z all day and it was a frustrating but ultimately a very good day.

The drive by wire was a real pain to setup but that was just me not used to the ECU software still needs a little more work but the throttle bodies now open and close fully with the accelerator pedal

fitted the manifold I made for the vacuum but forgot to add a takeoff for the fuel pressure regulator :blush: never mind will sort it tomorrow.

found some clear silicone hose for the vacuum pipework not what I want to use but it will do for now

Made up the loom for the throttle position sensors even used waterproof connectors

and when the missus still hadn't come to get me I bolted the throttle bodies down thinking to myself any minute she'll tell me dinners ready and I'll have to stop and then I'm standing there looking at thinking 

other than the crankcase ventilation and the vacuum for the FPR I'm done so I thought just for a laugh I'll turn it over see what happens I think the petrol head gods were with me it only bloody started first time :yahoo:

one clamp was letting in air and needed tightening  and they need balancing but overall bloody brilliant.

sorry I've got no pics or video my phone is completely dead but will correct this tomorrow

• Like 8

That's some good news. Now i can't sleep because I need to hear everything run :scare:

Hope you can get the balance right and take a drive with it in the best couple of weeks.

Keep up the good work and the updates.

Edited by Bakkums
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, davey_83 said:

That's pukka, exciting. Sorry if you've said, what are you setting the for to? Is it adjustable.

"what are you setting the for to?"

I think this is a typing error if not I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

13 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Stoopid phone, I meant setting for the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.....

makes sense now 

it was set to about 51 psi with vacuum pipe off which is stock fuel pressure I believe

had some time to play again today having some problems with getting the idle stable something I need to investigate further

Had a bit of a scare earlier I had to disconnect one of the Throttle position sensors to refit the velocity stacks but apparently I didn't reconnect it properly which resulted in the engine going full throttle after startup luckily the engine was fully warmed up but the noise it made was out of this world absolutely awesome I had to make sure there was no one about when I got out of the Z due to my aroused state :lol:

took me an hour to discover what the problem was as it was saying there was a problem with the servo power not the sensors turns out it disconnects the servo power when it detects a sensor fault never mind all fixed now

just need to sort out the idle issue and then I can get on with tuning.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

Epic safety feature, "something's loose, best go WOT" :lol:

Yea that was my fault the way I had it setup :blush: but you live and learn at least this time around :lol:

• Like 1

On 4/16/2017 at 19:35, andybp said:

Progress is slow due to many reasons mainly the speed of 3d printing and having to work for a living but I have cut down the inlet runners 30mm off each side and made the velocity stacks 30mm shorter from 105mm to 75mm

also the first red one I printed was downloaded straight off the internet and was designed for a 45mm Weber carb so the mounting holes were off and the face was flat

eBHC74l.jpg

so I've modified the design making a new mounting flange with a recess in it to suit the throttle body

lLwXhdc.jpg

I have only made two velocity stacks so far another is on my printer right now so will hopefully all be finished in a few days

@andybp what kind of 3D print is that ?

Is it Fused Deposition printing ? Ie a melted filament type 3D printer then I've actually tried using such prints using PLA filament in the engine bay before and I'm a afraid the print deforms with heat.

I'm not sure if ABS filament would fair any better in the long run.

Or were you just using the 3D prints as prototype pieces to be replaced later with something else ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpeedyZee said:

@andybp what kind of 3D print is that ?

Is it Fused Deposition printing ? Ie a melted filament type 3D printer then I've actually tried using such prints using PLA filament in the engine bay before and I'm a afraid the print deforms with heat.

I'm not sure if ABS filament would fair any better in the long run.

Or were you just using the 3D prints as prototype pieces to be replaced later with something else ?

The red prototype was in PLA but the final ones in yellow are in abs due to it's higher temperature resistance and higher melting point also I printed them in low quality leaving a rough surface finish as I was intending to coat them in an Isophthalic resin to protect them

Minor update I've been having trouble getting a stable idle speed I believe due to the servo hunting trying to maintain a particular idle rpm I now have it at a fixed throttle position this is working much better

also the MAP signal is jumping around a lot so I fitted a 1mm restrictor in the line to the map sensor this helped but it was still too unstable so I have now put a Tee into the line and connected it to an old catch can which I have sealed up this is acting as a damper and seems to have solved the problem the only issue I can see with this is that it will reduce the accuracy and potentially cause a lag in the pulse getting to the sensor I did try a smaller vessel as a damper but it was having minimal effect.

The other issue I'm having is balancing the throttle bodies between the left and right banks this is because I don't have accurate enough adjustment as I used standard threaded rod for the linkages so my smallest adjustment is a 180 Deg turn on one of the M4 rose joints which equates to about a third of a mm seems like a tiny amount but with itb's that's a lot