diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

Hope it helps, i was prompted into this because of the 2JZs habit of spitting out the front main oil seal, along with most of the content of the sump, with often disastrous results.

It happened to me, but i caught it in time, there was so much rubbish on the net and in dedicated forums i thought i would get to the bottom of the problem, and although the Americans don't agree, it all down to the oil pump and its wear and a small drain hole, the yanks all say it down to boost pressure and blow by but i don't think they realise that piston ring seal actually increases with boost pressure, but anyway long subject.

Have you got to the bottom of the mapping problem, unfortunately i am not at all familiar with the ECU your using, and as they all seem to have there own foibles i doubt i would be aby help.

• Like 2

Hope it helps, i was prompted into this because of the 2JZs habit of spitting out the front main oil seal, along with most of the content of the sump, with often disastrous results.

It happened to me, but i caught it in time, there was so much rubbish on the net and in dedicated forums i thought i would get to the bottom of the problem, and although the Americans don't agree, it all down to the oil pump and its wear and a small drain hole, the yanks all say it down to boost pressure and blow by but i don't think they realise that piston ring seal actually increases with boost pressure, but anyway long subject.

Have you got to the bottom of the mapping problem, unfortunately i am not at all familiar with the ECU your using, and as they all seem to have there own foibles i doubt i would be any help.

no the ecu issues are still issues I'm ignoring it while I sort out the the throttle servo mount which I've literally just finished 10 min ago which is good but it does mean I can't put off the ecu issues any longer :lol:

but maybe after ignoring it for a week I'll come back to it and spot the problem straight away if not I will have to decide whether or not to spend some cash and go haltec or similar or scrap the project but I'm not there yet

Any advice especially when it comes to balancing the throttle bodies always welcome.

:)

I've got the servo mount done now

Also made a new adapter for the end of the fuel line as the old one was too big and in the way space wasn't an issue at the time and it was designed to mount on the inlet plenum like the factory one.

as you can see the new one will be much smaller

waiting for some hose fittings before I can do anything else

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you received the parts? I'm very curious how this all is running 😀

yes I got the parts I was waiting for but I haven't gone any further with this project yet as I'm having issues with my current ECU but I've pretty much decided that I'm going to replace my outdated utec ECU with a LINK G4 and

continue with the project so Chris over at TarmacSportz should be getting an order from me in the next couple of days

• Like 1

Haha, Chris would be happy with that. The Link sounds good. Have looked at it instead of the osiris tuner, but for my specs the Osiris was enough and cheaper. Otherwise I would have bought it to.

Will follow this topic for the next few weeks/months :D

so the link ecu is a definite the only delay is that some scumbag :rant: has cloned my credit card and I don't use my debit card on the phone or internet with good reason it seems, so I will just have to wait for the card co. to pull their fingers out of a certain orifice and get me my new card

so the link ecu is a definite the only delay is that some scumbag :rant: has cloned my credit card and I don't use my debit card on the phone or internet with good reason it seems, so I will just have to wait for the card co. to pull their fingers out of a certain orifice and get me my new card

Let me guess, you bailed yourself of jail in Ohio ? Or had a shopping spree in Kansas ?

Those were the 2 I had, CC company paid it back though thankfully.

• Like 1

Let me guess, you bailed yourself of jail in Ohio ? Or had a shopping spree in Kansas ?

Those were the 2 I had, CC company paid it back though thankfully.

No just a lot of electronic goods they've accepted that it wasn't me but they're saying I have to wait between 2-12 days for a new card which seems a bit of a strange timescale which is a pain because I want to spend money now....

but I'm not going to weaken and use my debit card especially after this .my credit card I use on the internet etc has a low limit £1500 specifically to reduce the damage these scumbags can do so I'll just have to wait

good news the bank pulled their fingers out and my replacement card arrived today so my new link ecu is on order so I'm blaming any more delays on this project on Chris at TarmacSportz :lol:

well alright that may be a little unfair since I only ordered it this afternoon but everyone knows I'm perfect so I've got to blame someone.

This project is massive. Really tempted to follow suit of something similar, absolutely stunning work! Eager to hear it, too.

it's not for the faint hearted just had to cough up for a new link g4+ ecu so my plan to do it on a budget just went out the window

but will still come in well under £2000 I was trying to make my turboxs utec ecu work with it but that just wasn't happening.

I have the new ecu now it arrived today courtesy of TarmacSportz ordered thursday afternoon arrived today can't complain thanks to Chris and George very helpful.

I won't get it fitted until friday as I'm on standby again so I'll just have to stare at it all week and stroke it :lol:

This project is massive. Really tempted to follow suit of something similar, absolutely stunning work! Eager to hear it, too.

it's not for the faint hearted just had to cough up for a new link g4+ ecu so my plan to do it on a budget just went out the window

but will still come in well under £2000 I was trying to make my turboxs utec ecu work with it but that just wasn't happening.

I have the new ecu now it arrived today courtesy of TarmacSportz ordered thursday afternoon arrived today can't complain thanks to Chris and George very helpful.

I won't get it fitted until friday as I'm on standby again so I'll just have to stare at it all week and stroke it :lol:

Gorgeous build.

Can't wait to hear it.

Surprised the stock servo will be able to move all of those ITBs. Waiting eagerly for the update!

well I managed to find some time to fit my link g4 ecu and guess what after pulling out my factory ecu with the turboxs utec ecu all of the additional wiring i'd installed for the utec

I then had to pull my factory ecu apart to remove the die cast base which needed to be fitted to the g4 then after I got it all back together guess what it didn't start. :rant:

well that was yesterday evening luckily I've got it started now the immobiliser needed disabling I now just have the CEL up and no traction control to deal with but on the bright side it's running

using the MAP sensor not the MAF so that's progress

Gorgeous build.

Can't wait to hear it.

Surprised the stock servo will be able to move all of those ITBs. Waiting eagerly for the update!

the stock servo has quite a heavy return spring in it which I have replaced with a much lighter one also on the throttle bodies I have removed a spring from each bank and they were not too strong anyway

managed to clear the cel it was a faulty o2 sensor signal and the evap pressure sensor was configured incorrectly which is odd

I thought they had tested these base maps/configuration it's running much better today I've increased the idle speed slightly

still no traction control but I'll have a play with that at the weekend

• Like 3

Great to hear, sounds like the Link was the way to go, looking forward to hearing it used in earnest, :) its a nice feeling to have a project work out as intended,are you going to map it on the rollers, or on the road to start with?

I'm going to tune on the road to start with anyway it seems that once you get all of the sensors and other hardware that's connected to the ecu setup and calibrated tuning is easy i'm loving this more by the minute

but I cant really go very far with it right now as my wideband isn't connected as I don't have the expansion loom, looms are silly money but i found out what the connectors are and have bought enough for 4 looms parts cost £2 but £14 for delivery :lol: so will have to keep playing while I wait for the connectors

• Like 2

so I now have my link G4+ ECU and my wideband O2 in and working but the base map supplied by link did what it said on the box it got it started but was not drivable luckily for me there are some pretty nice people on this forum

and Philw99 who is also running a link g4 gave me a copy of his map (Thanks Phil) due to differences in our setups it wasn't right but much closer than what I had and with a bit of tweaking is now driveable so now I just need to find the time to do some alterations on the fuel return system and a few bits left to do on the throttle bodies and get them fitted

now I have the G4+ fitted I seem to have a few spare ecu's knocking around two turboxs utec's which you can tune through hyperterminal and a plug and play unichip piggyback these have all been fitted to my Z at various times and are a bit old tech but still work these are free if anyone wants to try them no guarantees at your own risk (1 each don't get greedy) but you will have to be local as I don't have the free time to post or wait around for people to show up :)

• Like 2

so I now have my link G4+ ECU and my wideband O2 in and working but the base map supplied by link did what it said on the box it got it started but was not drivable luckily for me there are some pretty nice people on this forum

and Philw99 who is also running a link g4 gave me a copy of his map (Thanks Phil) due to differences in our setups it wasn't right but much closer than what I had and with a bit of tweaking is now driveable so now I just need to find the time to do some alterations on the fuel return system and a few bits left to do on the throttle bodies and get them fitted

now I have the G4+ fitted I seem to have a few spare ecu's knocking around two turboxs utec's which you can tune through hyperterminal and a plug and play unichip piggyback these have all been fitted to my Z at various times and are a bit old tech but still work these are free if anyone wants to try them no guarantees at your own risk (1 each don't get greedy) but you will have to be local as I don't have the free time to post or wait around for people to show up :)

Nice offer Andy, shame i don't have the 350GT any more, i would have loved to have a go at mapping the VQ, only done turbo cars in the past, but never from scratch, always had a base to start from, good luck with it.

• Like 1