diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

:lol:

Most would say if it ain't broke don't fix it

Engineers like you say "if it ain't broke you haven't modified it enough yet"

Anyway I'm a great believer in over engineering things as it's great fun :thumbs:

• Like 1

made up the spacers to join the throttle bodies together today the first one took ages as the throttle linkage comes in really close

20170423_145856.thumb.jpg.9e9b1b49e40d094075769e722926ae22.jpg

second was much easier

also extended the tabs which connect all of the butterfly's together just got to do the other side now

:)

Edited by andybp
  • Like 5

Got the rest of the spacers made and fitted just need to sort out the last 2 throttle connecting tabs and then it's onto the job i'm dreading the throttle linkage :wacko:

IMG_20170421_194001_zpsedcnnlef.jpg

won't get any more done until sunday as i'm on standby again only 1 week in 6 but feels like every other weekend never mind as long as it doesn't rain i'll get to stay in bed..

• Like 1

this project seems to be taking a long while for some seemingly very small steps for instance the spacers for the throttle bodies but all of these spacers are different and not just a bit of ally bar with a hole through it as can be seen here

20170423_145846_zpsuuekcomh.jpg

20170423_145856_zpsuecsbamx.jpg

anyway enough of justifying my lack of progress, this is roughly the throttle linkage setup this is just a mock-up so i can get the geometry right (which it isn't) it won't look like this honest

IMG_20170424_180356_zpshcic5lme.jpg

IMG_20170424_180352_zpswq2nozpf.jpg

also today my camera seems to be like one of those mirrors that adds 20 lbs and makes you look fat the welding is not as bad as it looks in these pictures :lol:

So for you old people like me not going out on a friday night this is my latest offering

first I welded a block of ally between the two middle ports then machined it flat and bored a 6mm hole through exactly between the two middle throttle bodies this first picture shows how it will be with a needle roller bearing either side of the arm

WYonkxa.jpg

obviously I wasn't going to use an old bit of steel with a couple of holes drilled in it so I machined something more suitable from some 12mm ally plate with a recess for the bearings top and bottom

eAGRZ5C.jpg

the M5 rose joint on the end is where whats left of the old throttle body will be attached

Ok enough for now I'm going to have a bath watch Rogue One might play some more tomorrow

Edited by andybp
  • Like 3

Well bit disappointed with the lack of progress ;):lol:

Looking good mate some great work looks cool as well :thumbs:

I am also not old just boring

aren't you about the same age as me ?

As for lack of progress the cheek of the man :lol:

That arm was about an hour in CAD an hour in CAM and three hours on my mill but the part looks good :D

• Like 1

That arm was about an hour in CAD an hour in CAM and three hours on my mill but the part looks good :D

I'm not sure if we are the same age I'm 16 well thats what the wife says my mental age is I think this body has clocked in 48 years now :scare:

I do envy a man with a mill that can take CAD designs mine is just a good old hand cranked machine, I do design a lot of rectangles to solve problems :lol:

We only differed with the TV channeI watched the history channel until a little after midnight, up by 7am wife wasn't snoring this morning though (makes a change :lol: )

Keep up the good work, you should have come up to Japfest though :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if we are the same age I'm 16 well thats what the wife says my mental age is I think this body has clocked in 48 years now :scare:

I do envy a man with a mill that can take CAD designs mine is just a good old hand cranked machine, I do design a lot of rectangles to solve problems :lol:

We only differed with the TV channeI watched the history channel until a little after midnight, up by 7am wife wasn't snoring this morning though (makes a change :lol: )

Keep up the good work, you should have come up to Japfest though :)

Really wanted to go to Japfest but my Z looks like someone's be using it as a skip :blush:

the outside's not too bad just really dirty but the interior's minging and that's me being nice

but I really do need to meet some of the people on this forum who I've been taking the P*** out of for the last few years

• Like 1

I had four attempts at this before I got it right so much work far so little progress to actually cut took about 45 min and the initial cad took about 20 min but cutting it four times and redesigning it 3 times well let's just say it wasn't quick

Just need to sort out the mounting bracket for the throttle servo and get the right hand rose joints instead of the left hand that I actually ordered and I can have another trial fitting to see what else I forgot about

Edited by andybp
  • Like 4