Is an Audi TT a Good Buy ?

Bandit

Had a 225 quattro and for me it was a great little car,however the previous owner had spent a lot on it.Clutch and flywheel at Audi £1400 and discs and pads £450.Never had a problem with the instrument panel but at the time Audi were charging £800 for a new one !Mike and Ed did one on Wheelers and had a repair place fix instruments cheaply as previously mentioned.

I found it a good compromise between performance and economy .

It's because of electrics. Golfs as well. Between electric windows and coilpack failures (20vt problems), all VAG group cars (including seat and skoda) got a terrible rep between 2000 and 2010.

Mechanically, they aren't bad, and the issues that exist aren't outrageous to fix, just the volume and frequency of failures in the last decade got them this rep.

Yup, when I was doing my research on German stuff it was an endless stream of failures of electronics and water pumps. :lol:

They tried to copy all the tech in Jap cars, but they just can't match the level of reliability.

Those charts are really odd. Porsche in 2010 was 9th and the worst model a Boxster the best a 911. In 2011 it was suddenly 2nd with the 911 the worst model and Boxster the best. Also no one spot the 'Z' being the worst Nissan model in 2012?

To me looks like hugely variable data with uneven/unmatched samples/bases year on year causing big changes in ranking.

Yeah, I noticed all that stuff.

I think the best / worst is misleading, especially when it has an asterisk and is only based on 1 model year.

The chart on the left should be okay though.

It's not ideal, but there's not much better for comparing makes / models for reliability on large scale.

JD Power do one too:

d92eaa06c92114047d674cf0e396f9e5.jpg

Edited by Strudul

Hi Strudul

dare I say it - I had a 2008 TT tdi - I part exed it for my 2008 350z a decision I havent regreted - but I suppose its what you want at the time

I had it for a couple of years found it really economical , handled well (quattro) & reliable

in the 2 years I had a Turbo issue (diaphram i think) repaired with an audi kit , New speaker ,air bag sensor apart from that I was quite happy with the car

Not that this helps but I love my zed more but it costs me more to run!

cheers

Terry

• Like 2

I had the diesel as well. Terrible choice by myself but i was trying to balance running costs with economy.

The 2l turbo petrol is a far superior car and virtually comparable running costs. You lose the quattro but thats no bad thing to be honest

I had quite a few problems with it but it was all under warranty

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I had a Zed for 2 years and now have a TTs (Auto), few cars in-between. The hairdresser comments will always come and fairly justified as 90% of TT drivers are women! The other 5% are guys driving their misses cars, 3% own a TTs and 2 % a TTRS :lol: That’s an exact science for anyone who doesn’t believe me.

I would recommend getting the mk2, and try his best to get the s-tronic. It really is something else. The 3.2V6 will probably be the only way of getting the Quattro at that price range, the 2.0TFSI are fwd.

I’m not sure if the Quattro in the standard TT’s is the same as the TTS but the understeer comment that gets flung at all Audi’s isn’t justified in the TT. There is a relative amount of play in the back axel that keeps things interesting. I had an A5 3.0tdi which would nose dive no matter what you done. The TTs isn’t going to swing its back end out like the 350 but you do get that light back end feel you get with the 350 when taking a corner at speed.

• Like 2

Hi Strudul

when I say running costs obviously the 350z cost more in fuel than the tt diesel

but Ive had nothing go wrong with my zed yet - straight through its mot not even an advisory - no bills in 6 months :yahoo:

but if the zed does go wrong im sure they are cheap to repair LOL :lol:

cheers

Terry

We had a Mk 1 180bhp from brand new in 2002. It was plagued with electrical problems and in the first 12 months we had to call out the lease company 6 times with 2 more call outs during years 2 and 3. Windows and doors were the main problem and also the engine management light came on numerous times. Nice car to drive though.

Pete

No problem bandit scared me away from getting an Audi, thing is Vag have known about problem for years and did nothing about it. Some engines being rebuilt at 10000 miles only to fail 40000 miles with same complaint.

Not to mention cam followers wearing prematurely, valve guides and other major things

• Like 1