Not Working: Stock Under Seats Lighting And Horn On Nissan JDM Option Momo Wheel

davidv10

So i have an 54 plate JDM import, and a couple of things have suddenly stopped working, within a couple of weeks of each other.

Firstly the stock under seat lighting has stopped coming on when switching the lights on. As far as im aware there is no wiring harness with under seat lights on UK models. Any idea where the fuse for these would be? Or any other things to check? As i cannot find anything about these online!

Secondly the horn has stopped working. This is on the Nissan JDM Option Momo steering wheel. Again any idea where the fuse/fuses are? And any other things to check? The airbag light is flashing which could be related. But this was flashing for a while before i found out about the horn.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by davidv10

The airbag/horn is 99% going to be the 'clock spring', so called because its a laterally coiled spring (think snail shell, like a watch winding spring) inside the steering wheel hub, that provides the connection of the horn and airbag to the rest of the car. In most cases when both the airbag light comes on and the horn doesn't work, it's this.

I have no doubt that jon@emperor or zmanalex can help you out with this part. I've not done it on a Zed but on most cars it's an easy DIY, just whip off the wheel, swap the part, reconnect everything and done.

For the underseat lighting, no clue I'm afraid. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

Thanks for the info guys! Very helpful!

The only thing that is worrying me is that its not the stock steering wheel. Its this one:

nissansteeringwheel_zpsu3v3gxcp.jpg

So will the spring and connections be exactly the same? Wouldnt feel confident taking off the steering wheel, but im guessing this would be easy for a garage to do?

I managed to find a pic of the wiring, and it does look like its coming from the centre console. But the guy has done a very good job of making it look stock!

IMG_4818_zpsiqb2l9cy.jpg

Still no idea where to start diagnosing it. Would he maybe have added a fuse somewhere?

I want to say it doesn't make any difference what wheel you've got, but that would be a bold statement. I'm sure the connections will be 100% the ssame, plug and play. This video should help, and please, don't pay someone to do it, or at least if you do, make it your mate Dave and give him 20 quid, don't go to nissan. The only thing to worry about with this job is handling the explosive airbag (WITH CARE, after disconnecting the negative battery terminal!!). I did this on a mini cooper S recently with no trouble at all, and I don't like getting my hands dirty. Treat the airbag like a carton of eggs and you'll be fine. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox

I managed to find a pic of the wiring, and it does look like its coming from the centre console. But the guy has done a very good job of making it look stock!

Still no idea where to start diagnosing it. Would he maybe have added a fuse somewhere?

No idea tbh.

I mean it is a good idea to add an inline fuse with that sort of thing but he might not have as it would have still worked with or without. Maybe worth checking the fuse box down by the drivers side footwell to see if he took power from there or added an inline fuse in there to keep it all neat. Just an idea.

I take it all other lights work okay?

What about asking the previous owner who installed it? Is that an option?

I want to say it doesn't make any difference what wheel you've got, but that would be a bold statement. I'm sure the connections will be 100% the ssame, plug and play. This video should help, and please, don't pay someone to do it, or at least if you do, make it your mate Dave and give him 20 quid, don't go to nissan. The only thing to worry about with this job is handling the explosive airbag (WITH CARE, after disconnecting the negative battery terminal!!). I did this on a mini cooper S recently with no trouble at all, and I don't like getting my hands dirty. Treat the airbag like a carton of eggs and you'll be fine. ;)

Thanks for the info and video, that really helps explain it!

The main issue for me is to get the Momo steering wheel apart. as the horn/airbag button/section seems to be hooked inside the main steering wheel, so i have no idea how to get the wheel apart to undo the nut in the middle... As i cant see how you pull it forward through the middle, and there are no fixings or fasteners i can see holding the wheel together.

May go to the local garage who have helped me out with a few things and just get a quote on it. Even if i get the spring clock myself and just get them to fit it for me.

No idea tbh.

I mean it is a good idea to add an inline fuse with that sort of thing but he might not have as it would have still worked with or without. Maybe worth checking the fuse box down by the drivers side footwell to see if he took power from there or added an inline fuse in there to keep it all neat. Just an idea.

I take it all other lights work okay?

What about asking the previous owner who installed it? Is that an option?

Thanks. Ok i will have a look and see what i can see. I may take out the centre section between the seats to see where he is getting the power from.

Yeh all other lights both internal and external are working fine from what i can see!

The previous owner bought it and only had it for a few months as he never had a chance to use it. So it would have been a couple of owners down the line i imagine, so thats not really an option :/

Ok so a bit of an update to the situation.

I managed to put the SRS system into Diagnostics mode and i got 1 Long light and then 2 Short lights. I assume that means its SRS Code 12..??

Does anyone know what this code is? Or has a link to the SRS code list? I have searched for ages but cant find anything. Im hoping it will relate to the steering wheel to link to the horn not working.

Edit: Ok so i think i have found the code and its come back with 'Driver Airbag Module Error'. So this links in with the horn not working. Going to get a quote from the garage to get this fixed.

With regards to the under seat lights ive been embarrased a bit. When going to pull out the plastics i noticed a little button in the cubby that i hadent noticed before. It looked in the off position... I pushed it in, turned the lights on and Hey Presto!! Very embarrasing, but at least its working again!

Anyway here is the button. Not sure how i have never noticed it before!

20170112_121523_zps1n1inedg.jpg

Edited by davidv10

Most of us have a mystery button. :lol:

Mine was discovered (after 3 months of ownership) to increase the brightness of the gauge lighting! Very bizarre as it wasn't needed in the day and at night made them so bright they were unreadable. Go figure! Glad you got to the bottom of it! As for your wheel, that center piece, are those screws around it? If so, unscrew them. :) If not, get a spatula under it and see if you can pop it off. These aftermarket wheels are usually simpler than the oem ones. :)

Your Nissan dealer has likely never seen this exact steering wheel before either. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox

Haha yeh thats very true :lol:

No they arent screws. They are just drilled indents in the metal, almost looking like fake allen key holes. But there is nothing inside the metal indents. Havent tried popping anything off. Mostly because im worried about that airbag if i use too much force.

Ill see what the local garage quotes me and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i bought the slip ring thing and fitted it today.

All looked ok and the flashing light disappeared and the horn is now working.

But then once i was driving for a minute both the TCS and Slip lights came on and stayed on. Also the first time i go for a tight turn the abs kicks in... After that first turn its then fine again but the lights stay on until i turn the car on.

Im thinking the steering sensor may be wrong or something like that...

Is there anything i can do to reset this sensor? Or does anyone have any ideas what it could be or what i can do?

Its all stock tires and alloys.

I think the problem was the slip ring was just a whole turn out making the sensor think the wheels were at an angle when they were actually straight.

Manage to turn it the wrong way to adjust it and break tbe mechanism, so going to get another one and make sure its sent centred and taped still!

Then may just get a garage to fit it.