The Ginger Daily Z

reeceybeaney

As some may know from other posts, I have recently picked up a '54 plate 350z GT with a few modifications and, so far, I'm a very happy owner! :teeth:

What made me want this car the most, besides the tasteful modifications, was the fact it was owned by a 58 year old man who seemed to enjoy plowing money into the car and looking after it (4000 miles in 3 years and 3 services).

I am only 19 years old and I have always wanted a Jap sports car and I am glad to have achieved a goal so early on when others are driving their mums fiestas :lol:

I would like to put my own touch on the car and, as many seem to do, modify many aspects of the Zed. The car has the following modifications already fitted:

Cobra Resonated Cat Back Exhaust

Japspeed Y Pipe

Mishimoto Fan Shroud Kit

Mishinoto Induction Kit (fitted by myself XMAS day :lol:)

Eibach Pro Lowering Kit

Eibach Spacers (20mm & 25mm)

Japspeed Front Camber Arms

Eiback Rear Camber Arms

EBC Turbo Drilled & Grooved Discs

Redstuff Pads

Carbon Fibre Nismo Spoiler

Carbon Fibre Nismo Front Lip (Now dead :()

The car is at 67k miles which I thought was pretty average/low mileage and I paid £6800, which i believed was a steal as I couldn't take the grin off my face the whole time I was there looking at the car :teeth:

20161002_131227_zpskwsh7cxk.jpg

20161002_131218_zpsc7qdp7x1.jpg

20161002_131205_zps0w1zkvcu.jpg

20161227_143618_zpsghue6zic.jpg

20161002_131240_zpsjcxzdari.jpg

20161002_131315_zpshqfjxic8.jpg

Edited by reeceybeaney
Title change
  • Like 2

a tonne of mods out there available for the Zeds in general...depends how far you want to go,check the member builds for inspiration

also best to sort the rust before it gets worst

Edited by valy

As some may know from other posts, I have recently picked up a '54 plate 350z GT with a few modifications and, so far, I'm a very happy owner! :teeth:

What made me want this car the most, besides the tasteful modifications, was the fact it was owned by a 58 year old man who seemed to enjoy plowing money into the car and looking after it (4000 miles in 3 years and 3 services).

I am only 19 years old and I have always wanted a Jap sports car and I am glad to have achieved a goal so early on when others are driving their mums fiestas :lol:.

I would like to put my own touch on the car and, as many seem to do, modify many aspects of the Zed. The car has the following modifications already fitted:

Japspeed Y Pipe

Mishimoto Fan Shroud Kit

Eibach Pro Lowering Kit

Eiback Rear Camber Arms

Redstuff Pads

Carbon Fibre Front Lip (unsure on make)

The car is at 67k miles which I thought was pretty average/low mileage and I paid £6800, which i believed was a steal as I couldn't take the grin off my face the whole time I was there looking at the car :teeth:.

The mods will carry on and already I am looking into the following:

Berks High Flow Cats (decats if someone persuades me)

H-Dev Plenum Spacer

RevUp at Abbey Motorsport (40 mile drive)

If anyone can give me any advice on modifications/ownership of the Zed then I will be all ears and appreciative :).

Couple of things I need sorting including:

Front passenger wheel arch rust bubble :scare:

Cracked front carbon lip :angry: (solution = wrap???)

Here's a few snaps:

Cheers everyone!

Reece

First thing is first - service the car. New oil filter, engine oil, gearbox oil, diff oil. If he has only done low miles in it, they'll have been short journies and nothing is worse for engine oil than short journeys because no evap of moisture and accelerated degradation of oil. Coolant can be tested, but it lasts 5yrs so no major worry.

Now look underneath the car. Is anything loose, are any of the bushes looking tired, is the plastic wind tray secured properly? Sort these.

All those mods and no mention of tyres?! I'd get some decent spec rubber on it quicksmart.

After you fit new tyres, then get a geo. You need to learn to drive the car first with a baseline geo (Factor setup) otherwise your touch on the car will be when you plough it into a wall. Then you can decide what to do. Don't listen to anyone who says 'Yeah, use my FAST ROAD geo!' Total rubbish.

Even if you aren't panning on tracking it, get Yellowstuff pads. Reds won't cut it. If you are planning on tracking it, get Orangestuff.

Get yourself booked on some advanced driver courses. The safety features on the Z are effective, but in a 300bhp RWD car, you should be able to handle and be comfortable with a slide.

The rust is interesting. The wing way have had a repair previously. I'd budget £200 for it.

I am only 19 years old and I have always wanted a Jap sports car and I am glad to have achieved a goal so early on when others are driving their mums fiestas :lol:.

Japspeed Y Pipe

Mishimoto Fan Shroud Kit

Eibach Pro Lowering Kit

Eiback Rear Camber Arms

Redstuff Pads

Carbon Fibre Front Lip (unsure on make)

The car is at 67k miles which I thought was pretty average/low mileage and I paid £6800, which i believed was a steal as I couldn't take the grin off my face the whole time I was there looking at the car :teeth:.

The mods will carry on and already I am looking into the following:

Berks High Flow Cats (decats if someone persuades me)

H-Dev Plenum Spacer

RevUp at Abbey Motorsport (40 mile drive)

If anyone can give me any advice on modifications/ownership of the Zed then I will be all ears and appreciative :).

Couple of things I need sorting including:

Front passenger wheel arch rust bubble :scare:

Cracked front carbon lip :angry: (solution = wrap???)

Here's a few snaps:

Cheers everyone!

Reece

First thing is first - service the car. New oil filter, engine oil, gearbox oil, diff oil. If he has only done low miles in it, they'll have been short journies and nothing is worse for engine oil than short journeys because no evap of moisture and accelerated degradation of oil. Coolant can be tested, but it lasts 5yrs so no major worry.

Now look underneath the car. Is anything loose, are any of the bushes looking tired, is the plastic wind tray secured properly? Sort these.

All those mods and no mention of tyres?! I'd get some decent spec rubber on it quicksmart.

After you fit new tyres, then get a geo. You need to learn to drive the car first with a baseline geo (Factor setup) otherwise your touch on the car will be when you plough it into a wall. Then you can decide what to do. Don't listen to anyone who says 'Yeah, use my FAST ROAD geo!' Total rubbish.

Even if you aren't panning on tracking it, get Yellowstuff pads. Reds won't cut it. If you are planning on tracking it, get Orangestuff.

Get yourself booked on some advanced driver courses. The safety features on the Z are effective, but in a 300bhp RWD car, you should be able to handle and be comfortable with a slide.

The rust is interesting. The wing way have had a repair previously. I'd budget £200 for it.

Thanks for the advice, as I said the previous owner was very good at spending money and that including maintenance.I have receipts trailing way into the thousands for mods and maintenance which was good to read!

Priority number 1 is to definitely sort the wing out as it's really bugging me and I know it will just get worse! I'll keep the £200 budget into consideration, however someone has quoted me £275 already:/

Tyres are reasonable but certainly not MPSS or anything high end.

Furthermore I will add that the last thing I want to do is end up putting this in a hedge backwards so will be taking it easy, especially this time of year!

Thanks to everyone else for the replies:D

Looks like he forgot to spray the spoiler, or at least the base, so you could take care of that whilst you do the wing ;)

Some good advise above though, if your interested in handling some uprated arb's make a huge difference, personally i wouldnt use ebc's, either ds2500 or carbon lorraines if you do a lot of track days.

A Jack Royal trimmed steering wheel is a nice touch for the interior.

Edited by Jetpilot

• 1 month later...

Finally done something about the front carbon lip! I have only been driving the zed just over a month and have found myself scraping the darn thing more and more... so with that, and a great deal of difficulty, I "pulled" it off :lol:

20170305_133139_zps9vkblwcg.jpg

In all honesty (some may disagree) I think the front end looks better without the stupid cracked lip!🖒

A trip to the paint shop and then will fit that Zunsport Grille that's sitting in the garage, happy days :)

Edited by reeceybeaney

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IMG_20170511_131900_560_zpsmxsojg4l.jpg

Gearbox and Diff fluid replaced and now lovely smooth changes even from cold! :D

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3s all round now too, much better ride, quieter and gripper than the old Champiro things!

Coming up to 5k miles since owning the Zed and love it, still look back everywhere and every time I park it.

Just need an extra bit more grunt so might treat her to some decats soon as well as a oil/filter change :p

Opinions and suggestions on what next please! In need of some inspiration!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally getting something sorted which really bothered me since first owning the car. Tatty leather seats!:thumbdown:

Getting some colour back in them now and filling some of the cracks in, bit of a work in progress keep building the layers up, but working well!

I1FfOqo.jpg

Recommend the stuff to anyone who wants to tidy their leather up and also smells really nice :D

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sargara said:

What stuff out of interest, you don't mention the name unless I'm being blind?

Sorry! It's a scuffmaster leather kit.

https://www.liquidleather.com/22-scuffmaster-dyes

Real quality leather stuff, I got the £20 kit as my dad already has the conditioners and cleaners so stole his stuff :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Easy.Had one on my 350z.Self tapper either end into your wheel arch and a bit of double sided or unibond under the mid section.Job Done.Thats how it should be mounted.

Great present and great choice.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Payco said:

So how did you fix it mate ?.

The fit was so good it basically clipped in place! I siliconed all around the underside of the splitter and then used a self tapper either side as you mentioned! Then just went over the top side profile with silicone just to fill any slight gaps, blend it and fix it further to the bumper!

Think that will be fine, very chuffed :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well done.Be careful not to curb crunch it.Look forward to seeing it in a few weeks time.I have lots of events planned for 2018.Kicking off with a Grasshopper meet in Jan and then our annual club stand at Incarnation in Brighton.More to follow after.

Edited by Payco

1 minute ago, Payco said:

Well done.Be careful not to curb crunch it.Look forward to seeing it in a few weeks time.I have lots of events planned for 2017.Kicking off with a Grasshopper meet in Jan and then our annual club stand at Incarnation in Brighton.More to follow after.

Thanks Martin! Look forward to seeing your progress with your lovely Nismo :)

I hope you mean 2018 or you'll have to squeeze it in! ;)

I missed incarnation last year so really hoping to make that!

• Like 1