Who will win???

Rob350

Cant argue with the lap times, same driver, same track, same conditions etc.

The thing that I dont agree with is the more fun part. Sure the Renault may be more fun to throw around but you are never going to drive the car like that! You will never have that kind of space on public roads so wont be able to drive it like that and if you do you will end up in a ditch!

The only place that has enough space to throw it about is a track but then on a regular old trackday you will get marched off the venue for this sort of behaviour. The only time I can think that this driving would be acceptable wpuld be on a drift circuit but your not going to bring a FWD hot hatch to a drift circuit. So really the 370Z has to be the more fun car to drive.

As I say lap times are lap times so that was a little surprising but given the eight conditions the Z could be favourite

Both cars were hooned to the limit and beyond, to me.

2 secs is an age on a track like that, just shows how competent the Megane actually is. Never driven a Megane, but if it's anywhere near as much fun as a Clio then I can see why people would buy one over a 370. £10k less, quicker in all conditions, cracking chassis, more practical... Unless you really want the V6 noise, why get a 370?

But yes, I'd always choose an average RWD car over a good FWD car too. I prefer my driven wheels at the rear, more fun to play with.

Both cars were hooned to the limit and beyond, to me.

2 secs is an age on a track like that, just shows how competent the Megane actually is. Never driven a Megane, but if it's anywhere near as much fun as a Clio then I can see why people would buy one over a 370. £10k less, quicker in all conditions, cracking chassis, more practical... Unless you really want the V6 noise, why get a 370?

I came from a Megane 250 before my 350z (with a 182 Trophy inbetween). Great cars, very capable and quite a bargain performance wise but I wanted a change from hatchbacks. Mine depreciated a fair bit too, I was the 2nd owner from nearly new (<10k miles).

Edited by Sargara

They said it themselves in the video: "The conditions favoured the front wheel drive Renault". ...so it's no surprise to me that it beat the Zed.

Surprised that Dan didn't mention tyres as that may have made some difference depending on what both cars were running although yes it's doubtful that would account for the 2 second difference.

Still always enjoy watching videos like that with decent drivers & decent cars. :thumbs:

I think you're massively overestimating the 370. I think the times may be closer, but the Megane would still win.

Rarity is the most pointless reason for owning a car ever.

Wonder if all the driver aids were fully OFF on both cars..???

Rarity is the most pointless reason for owning a car ever.

That's just your opinion though - there's countless people that would say the same about RWD.

Wonder if all the driver aids were fully OFF on both cars..???

I'd imagine they used whatever set up the car was fastest in.

I suppose Gash is a bit harsh,but unless its on the track its just an awful thing to be in/around or drive..

Its super noisy,not very fast and breaks everytime it gets a tattering..

I guess the argument is that its a focused track car,but its a Megane....thats the fact..

Watched that video also today, the Renault sports car are awesome on track and for me kicked of the whole hot hatch ring wars.

The Renaultsport Megane 265 Trophy was created to set a new front-drive road-car lap record at the Nürburgring.

265 trophy 8:08secs

370z 8:11secs

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just part exchanged a 275 Cup-S Megane on the 370Z Nismo and I can say, with some authority, that the Megane is faster point-to-point on the country roads around where I live. It turns in faster, it has grip forever and it's far less unsettled by crappy road surfaces. However, the Z feels faster when accelerating and is much more of an event to drive.

The Megane is a very capable and real-world fast car. Take one on at your own risk :D

• Like 1

In my exp, the french hot hatches are always fast because they are nearly always incredibly light. To the point where you get up to a decent lick of speed you can see body panels flexing. I always think of my zed as a tourer. Big tank, comfy, heated electric seats etc. Hot hatches are for hooning about on short little trips. I'd take my Zed across europe and love it. Id be sick of a french hot hatch by the time I lefty the county.

350z and 370z are sports coupes, I have no idea why people define them as gt cars, probably because it excuses their girth/weight but a lightweight car being faster on track, I wouldnt say thats surprising.

I think someone else mentions fun is subjective, however much fun they maybe I would personally find them about as entertaining as an evening with Strudul.