condensation on the inside of the rear screen

Justthejedi

Nissan's of the era don't seem to breathe well in these conditions. Driving around with the heating on, park up lock the car and soon that warm air rises and settles in the now cold glass - ready and waiting for your return.

In my 5 door sunny I have smoked wind deflectors and leave the front windows down 5mm ish which allows the warm air to rise and escape, minimising condensation massively.

Yeah, my 350 is the same, especially this time of year. I think the condensation heads to the rear window as it lies much more to the horizontal and has a large surface area. Not to say that the other windows don't attract condensation, they do but not to the same extent.

Pete

If you drive with the heater on, then warm air is able to hold more moisture, and there will be lots of it from your breath, especially if on recirculation.

Dewpoint will be a lot higher than normal and condensation will occur sooner as the air cools down. On a really cold day the air is usually quite dry, so when you park up, open windows/doors to purge out the warm moist air before you depart.

Longwinded theory I know, but give it a try, it might improve things.

• Like 1

Certainly not an issue restricted to Zeds - frightening at times when you see some drivers with misted up windows in all sorts of cars clearly restricting vision. As others have said ^^^^^ use the air-con to help reduce the moisture content that builds up inside the car throughout the year, not just in summer and simply up the temperature as it gets colder. No doubt why most cars with air-con are designed to automatically come on when screen de-mist is selected as it helps to suck/blow out the moisture.

Nissan adding air-con as a standard feature in Zeds when they were first produced in 2002 was one of the features that attracted me to the model, but come our cold/wet winters even house windows build up condensation. :)

I had this issue going into the colder periods as suggested above by 350zedd when I get to work or home I sit in the car for about a minute with the windows down to try get any hot air out! Seems to work for the most part, unless there's a drastic change in air temperature in the day/night while it's sat! I also occasionally if I remember when I'm a few minutes from home open the windows to help to!

• Like 1

It's not just Zeds that get this although I do get it every day I drive mine this weather so I drive with the windows slightly open. I have 2 moisture bags inside too. In rain I use the air con but it still steams up a bit. I think that the problem these days is that everyone wants instant heat and put the heater on straight away. That doesn't help either. I see this in my wife's Toyota - windows saturated but she gets in and thinks the windows should be clear because she turns a chuffin switch :). If you solve the problem you could be a rich man.

In my mind, just before I knock the engine off blast the cabin with cold air from the fans - frees up excess warmly from behind the dash also, every little helps.

Don't use recirulate

Lower Windows before completing journey

Quick blast of cold air

Keep windows clean

Use A/C *comes in automatically

Have a clean microfiber to hand

• 1 year later...
On 07/01/2017 at 20:25, davey_83 said:

In my mind, just before I knock the engine off blast the cabin with cold air from the fans - frees up excess warmly from behind the dash also, every little helps.

Don't use recirulate

Lower Windows before completing journey

Quick blast of cold air

Keep windows clean

Use A/C *comes in automatically

Have a clean microfiber to hand

Yup, this helps but I often still get a little patch of condensation at the bottom of the window still.

Your heads up prompted me to dig my PINGI outta my boot.

It's been sitting there for months.

Well I weighed it and assuming it's reached max saturation by now it came in at 376gm

After 6min at 500w in the microwave and leaving to "let off steam" it weighed in at 330gm

So it's only really capable of holding about 45ml of water which looked a little bit lame!

Alas, like the Tesco advert goes

EVERY LITTLE HELPS :lol:

On 10/10/2018 at 13:09, davey_83 said:

Lol, I have one but I keep it in the boot, in the net, it annoyed the hell out of me when it was in the passenger foot well or under the seat, or moving in that general area.