Cold air intake

varley16

I have seen some people have custom cold air intakes, i have spoke to someone that has done it but he is unsure of the diameter of the pipes.

He also recommended auto silicone hoses to shpply the parts, has anyone used these and know what parts I will need?

Idealy I want the air filter to sit behind the front bumper/just under the bonnet latch.

Idealy I want the air filter to sit behind the front bumper/just under the bonnet latch.

I did this on my old supercharged Zed, ...you can see the red 90 degree elbow coming off the supercharger and going behind the front bumper in the picture below.

020_zpsvh8ozemk.jpg

It will be a slightly different process for an N/a car so it may mean using a slightly longer silicone length coming off your MAF housing with a different ID but it's still doable.

Guide here: http://www.350z-uk.c...air-intake-cai/

I got my silicone hoses from "ASH" on eBay. A lot cheaper than "Viper Performance" and "Samco" silicone hoses but still very good quality. ;)

Link to the eBay store: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Auto-Silicone-Hoses-Outlet?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

I have a shopping list together, if at all possible, can someone advise if i'm correct in what i'm ordering.

My thoughts are, throttle body has 76mm internal diameter silicone coupling (100mm) then a 45' alloy pipe (outer diameter of 76mm) then another silicone coupling (ID 76mm) which is then attached to the maf housing, after this comes the 3rd silicone coupling (ID 76mm) followed by a 350mm alloy pipe (OD 76mm) which is then attached to a 90' silicone hose, this is the house that will go through the intake hole at the front by the headlight, this then is attached to a 200mm alloy pipe (OD 76mm) then finally the air filter.

i've added 10 hose clips (70mm-90mm)

45° Degree Alloy Elbow - Polished Aluminium Bend Pipe Joiner

Outer Diameter 76mm

76mm ID - Coupling Silicone Hose - Choose Your Length & Colour

Length 100mm X 3 Colour Red

76mm - Custom Alloy Straight Hose Joiner - Choose Your Length - End Bead Optional

Length 350mm

Silicone Polyester Reinforced Hose - 76mm - 90 Degree Elbows

Colour Red

76mm - Custom Alloy Straight Hose Joiner - End Bead

Length 200mm

Single Cone Performance Air Filter - Air Induction Filter

Colour Red

ASH - Hose Clips - Worm Drive Stainless Steel - Single Clip

Clip Size 70mm - 90mm

Varley are you planning on going from the throttle body then?

Imho I think that's unnecessary as the Zed already has a good intake tube there which a lot of G35 owners buy as it is better than what is on the G35 (look at Z tube mod).

Personally I'd be looking at going from the MAF onwards. That way all you'll need is a MAF top hat adapter, followed by a straight silicone hose, aluminium hose joiner, then a 90 degree bend hose, aluminium hose joiner & filter.

Will look something similar to this then...

KampNCAI1_zps31bab2e2.jpg

What do you think?

• Like 1

Actually you may have a point, as the intake pipe has another pipe coming from it, where did you get the other intake kit from?

Yeah underneath the Z tube is a smaller pipe.

What do you mean "where did you get the other intake kit from?"? ....Do you mean the one I pictured?

If so that's the one I put together myself for my supercharged Zed. It is made entirely from Ash silicone hose and aluminium hose joiners with a K&N air filter.

Ok, i will go from the maf housing, then sit the filter behind the bumper.

So...

1 x maf adapter

1 x 100mm? silicone hose (ID 76mm)

1 x hose joiner- unsure of length? (OD 76mm)

1 x 90' silicone hose. (ID 76mm)

1 x hose joiner - again unsure of length. (OD 76mm)

1 x Cone filter

5 x hose clips.

The aluminium hose joiner I used from the filter to the 90 degree was a 100mm long and I used another 100mm one cut down to 70mm like in the guide I linked in post n#3 for my other joiner.

Like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-4-Inch-Long-Alloy-Hoses-Joiners-Aluminium-Connectors-Rubber-Silicone-/190897292792?var=&hash=item72212d30b8

Regarding the lengths on the straight silicone hose you could always buy a metre length and that way you can just cut to length. It is going to need a bit of trial fitting with regards to the lengths to see what works for you. As far as hose diameters go I'd make sure you're happy with the I/D or O/D before you go ordering loads of it as it will be a pita to return or exchange.

The air filter I used was a K&N model n#RX4140 as you want a good size filter but not something so big that it won't fit behind the bumper.

Filter here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-RX-4140-Air-Filter-Universal-X-Stream-Clamp-on-K-and-N-Part-/181652155126?hash=item2a4b4feaf6:g:5ucAAOSwNyFWhCZy

Hope that helps some. :thumbs:

True, does this sit in the engine bay? Ideally i'm wanting it to sit behind front bumper.

Looking at it I think it does so not what you're after, ....although could be modified possibly but the cost might start to be more than just buying the pipe work & filter we were talking about especially as Ekona mentions you will want to swap the blue filter out for a decent branded one. ;)