Brake Judder

Strudul

Yes, cruise around a bit to let them cool. Then park-up in gear. It's generally recommended to do that on trackdays too. Also, cooling down on the move is better than parking and cooling because that can actually boil your fluid and make it worse - (hot components near brake hoses with no air passing around).

Drove round for a bit (10 minutes or so) without using the brakes, but it was 3am and I wanted to go to bed. Parked up and left it in gear with the handbrake off. Brakes were still quite hot, but hopefully it'll be okay.

60-10-60 won't do anything, you want to get the disc to different temps, not the same temp.

50-30 light pressure x5

70-40 med pressure x5

100-40 hard as poss but before abs x5

With 10mins of 60mph without touching the brakes in between.

60-10-60 won't do anything, you want to get the disc to different temps, not the same temp.

50-30 light pressure x5

70-40 med pressure x5

100-40 hard as poss but before abs x5

With 10mins of 60mph without touching the brakes in between.

60-20 x20 is what Brembo recommend, so after gently warming them up, that's what I did. It's definitely done something, and seems to have resolved the problem. Only time will tell. :thumbs:

Then no need to use the Brembo advice ;)

I'm not saying they're wrong, far from it as that may be what their pads and discs need, but you should go on what those materials are made from as the caliper is irrelevant.

My technique (which I've cribbed together over a few years from a few manufacturers) is based on creating an even heat transfer to bed the pads/discs. First off you apply light pressure to gently warm the faces up, then harder to warm the middle, then hardest to ensure both surfaces have got nice and toasty. That makes logical sense to me.

Some pads and discs may need more applications(endurance stuff) or less (sprint stuff), but in general the technique I mentioned will work for the vast majority.

• 8 months later...

I too have just visited Marcus at Disc Skimmers and glad to say the horrendous judder that appeared latter part of the Route 500 trip in June year has gone.  This had taken just 7 months from new discs and pads. Fortunately having another car I was able to take it off the road until now. My driving may be a little too lively, but I thought it dangerous and was not driving it until fixed.

Marcus is an Interesting chap. I loved being in the workshop, observing and learning all about the process of his work.

I was lucky he had a cancellation otherwise due to how booked up he is, it would have been mid October.

Annoyingly as he finished the skies properly opened with heavy rain so during my test drive, I was too timid on my brakes to properly test them, (after that judder through the brake pedal and steering wheel) so asked Marcus if he would mind checking himself. I live 2.5 hours drive away, so ........made sense.

Brakes were fine, no juddering at all.

Best was, he loved my car and set up, including my K1 and owning up to having sold his due to believing he would not hold onto his licence.

I gather he has a rather nice 370z these days.

Good to read back through these posts too, to hear some 9 months later reporting no issues and no - one reappearing to report any after.

On 07/01/2017 at 08:59, Ekona said:

Then no need to use the Brembo advice ;)

I'm not saying they're wrong, far from it as that may be what their pads and discs need, but you should go on what those materials are made from as the caliper is irrelevant.

My technique (which I've cribbed together over a few years from a few manufacturers) is based on creating an even heat transfer to bed the pads/discs. First off you apply light pressure to gently warm the faces up, then harder to warm the middle, then hardest to ensure both surfaces have got nice and toasty. That makes logical sense to me.

Some pads and discs may need more applications(endurance stuff) or less (sprint stuff), but in general the technique I mentioned will work for the vast majority.

We've put together this PDF file on how to properly bed in the brakes, it goes out with all our BBK we sell and will include with the new pads, discs or combo kits, too.

TORQEN-brake-bedding.pdf

• 3 months later...
On 03/01/2017 at 21:31, wez370 said:

After watching that i'm surprised I didn't hear about a man from halfords head been caved in with a spanner.

Not called halfrauds for nothing. I would of gone back and faced him out got him to say sorry and made him cry a bit lol