2017 F1 Chat Thread

Ebized

I still think Massa is a pussy for coming back. It's not like Williams are exactly ploughing forward and challenging at the top, is it?

Be good to see Bottas in the Merc, but I think he's going to massively struggle. Which will give RB (and maybe Ferrari?) a bit of hope, if they can steal enough 2nd places and Lewis breaks down then they could challenge.

I assume no-one realistically thinks that anyone other then MB with Lewis is likely to win the title this year? Could well be the most boring year for ages.

I still think Massa is a pussy for coming back. It's not like Williams are exactly ploughing forward and challenging at the top, is it?

Be good to see Bottas in the Merc, but I think he's going to massively struggle. Which will give RB (and maybe Ferrari?) a bit of hope, if they can steal enough 2nd places and Lewis breaks down then they could challenge.

I assume no-one realistically thinks that anyone other then MB with Lewis is likely to win the title this year? Could well be the most boring year for ages.

Not with the new reg changes, not that clear cut. :scare:

I hope the reg changes make it more interesting - gets so boring when 1 team dominate by miles, even a bit of unreliability makes it more fun sometimes and the development time in the new season may add that :)

Edited by Keyser

if they can steal enough 2nd places and Lewis breaks down then they could challenge.

Oh God lets hope not, dont want to end up with another non worthy winner or someone who won by default ;)

They have made overtaking almost impossible again with the new changes.

I thought there was more under body down force, and less reliance on wings, which create dirty air for cars following? and also there is more mechanical grip from having wider tyres which should allow cars to follow closer through corners, and that the tyres are designed to be more durable so you don't have to constantly manage things?

I'm hoping the new regs will mix things up a bit, but we'll know if we're going to get a good season after the first 3 races or so.

on the plus side, the new cars look better. hopefully they sound a bit better too, but that's unlikely without an engine (sorry, power unit :dry: ) change.

Edited by brillomaster

Yeah, unless there's some weird unforeseen effect on the turbulence behind the car, I'd imagine that the changes (specifically more mechanical grip, less wing and more straight line drag) should make overtaking more possible.

Maybe, but to be honest I think the question of whether the air will be dirtier can only be answered with any accuracy by the engineers designing the cars. I thought the idea of the lower rear wings was to reduce turbulence though.

They can carry more speed into the corners, due to the aero and the wider tyres. This means they're braking later, so less chance to outbrake someone. So less overtaking, which is compounded by following in dirtier air.

They are also wide which doesn't help..like street circuits or Hungary.

They can carry more speed into the corners, due to the aero and the wider tyres. This means they're braking later, so less chance to outbrake someone. So less overtaking, which is compounded by following in dirtier air.

They are also wider which doesn't help..like street circuits or Hungary.

Anyone been to the Spanish GP (Catalunya)?

Decided yesterday that i'm going. I was going to Montreal but i've changed my plans so doing Catalunya instead. It's only a couple of weeks before Monaco which i could go to, but it's at least 3 times the price...

Any advice or recommendations?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38772098

looks like this is it for Manor Racing. which isn't really surprising, how they lasted so long whilst being consistently last.

on the other hand, has anyone read Chase Carey's assessment of the state of F1? his findings:

â—¾The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful, to the extent that the smallest teams are struggling to survive and money is tight for about half the grid.

â—¾There is a lack of competition on track.

â—¾Television audience figures are dropping in many markets - although this is largely because of a switch to pay television, to make more money from TV rights deals.

â—¾The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar

â—¾The decision-making process is not working properly.

â—¾Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons, disregarding other important factors, such as their effects on the sporting side.

â—¾An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, particularly a sense of edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge.

If Liberty Media can fix even a few of these issues it'll have a real improvement in the sport now that Bernie has finally gone. Very much looking forward to seeing how 2018 and 2019 seasons shape up.

• Like 3

The demise of Manor drops the grid to 20 cars, back to 2009 numbers. I would prefer to see some major manufacturers come in and now that Bernie has gone this may be possible in 4 or 5 years time. There are other options that could be considered, like 3 car teams (BRM ran 5 cars in the 70's) or/and scrap the rule that teams have to run 2 cars.

I've been an avid fan of F1 after I attended my first race in 1971, hardly missed a race since every race was televised live back in the 80's but I've pretty well stopped watching qualifying unless its raining because its become so predictable. Can't say I'm getting excited about the 2017 season, I'll probably give a few races a miss this year, especially those that start early in the morning.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...