Hi all, just got my first Z.

Welcome to the club mate.

I was not mechanically minded at all and my first car was given to garages to do everything. This cost me a fortune and when I got my 2nd car and started to modify that I decided to learn at the same time. Started with the simple jobs and gradually got more in depth. I have now done 2 engine and gearbox swaps and looking at a third.

When you get over the fear you realise that everything just bolts on. Obviously cambelts and things are a bit more complicated but generally speaking it all just bolts together. Just start small and work slowly taking pictures if you have to and make sure you know where everything came from.

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement, I really ought to learn I'm sure it would be enjoyable and it would save me a fortune. I would just have to make sure my alter ego (Frank Spencer) stays well hidden ;)

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement, I really ought to learn I'm sure it would be enjoyable and it would save me a fortune. I would just have to make sure my alter ego (Frank Spencer) stays well hidden ;)

I wouldnt worry mate, when me and my dad work on cars together we are like the chuckle brothers. We spend more time swearing, clanging and banging around and blaming each other for taking off the wrong bits etc than we do actually progressing. We normally end up working on the driveway at midnight via torchlight half cut with Foster's (other brands are available) cans strewn across the lawn. The moral of this story is that we may end up with spare bolts but we always get the job done and nothing has ever fallen off so thats always a plus :)

Even with all the cuts, bruises and stress it can cause it is actually really enjoyable. Unless your working on a German car then its a PITA.

• Like 1