Pondering about Coilovers (KW v3 etc)

RobPhoboS

Stop confusing these people with your psuedo science.

I am still waiting for your REAL science.

And while we are on science, let me ask you a VERY BASIC questions.

All vehicle dynamics start with a single point, and that is 100% critical damping force (specifically critical rebound force).

At what adjustment does your beloved KW V3 reach critical rebound force?

Because without knowing that adjustment point, it is literally impossible to tune a dampers.

That is just pure science, something that is calculate-able and presentable on a piece of paper.

So please let us know about REAL science on your KW V3, because we are all waiting

Jerrick

You tell me the unsprung weight of the Nissan and how you factored it into the compression/rebound ratios. That was my whole point - it's adjustable so the critical mass or adjustability ratio (between compression/rebound on single adjuster) is not 'essential' as you can tailor more for individual preference.

That is undeniable.

But yes should you have the weight of the sprung/unsprung masses to hand, you could easily find out whether or not the range is within the KWv3 spec.

I'm assuming your GT1 is?

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit

Correct.

Technically on the car already but need to finish off height and other bits tomorrow.

???

Critically damped to both compression and rebound for the 350Z? Fair play, I have no idea of the un/sprung masses, but if you do, nice one :)

Moving to your car, what dampers were on it before, OEM?

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit

Who knows what a fast road is? A road, B road, Motorway, whites????

Fast road is not 100% track focused and too aggressive to use on the street, but also not focused at comfort, economy or tyre life either.

??? So it's not track but it's too aggressive to be used on the street? Sounds like a bad setup to me if you can't use it anywhere?!

Simply put, a setup thats optimised to be as fast as possible on roads, from bumpy B Roads to sweeping Autobahns.

Optimised? You mean compromised. A b-road and an Autobahn are VERY different and you cannot possibly expect to be optimised to both unless you have adaptive dampers

The fact google returns 589,000 hits for "Fast Road Setup" suggests Im not alone on understanding this.

'God' comes back with 1.6 Billion hits and he doesn't exist, so I think it's fair to say hit quota on google means nothing.

As for the rest of it, you can see it any way you like but there is more than an element of trolling to some of your posts on this thread dude.

Well, see it the way serious people who set up their cars see it.

Now, saying that you have a preferred setup for the track, but take off some camber for the road is fine. Saying that you have a setup for the track and a setup for the road is fine. But if someone asks you 'What is your road setup and you say 'It's fast road'...

Call it trolling if you want, it's Monty Hall paradox as far as I'm concerned.

Fast Road is compromised by its very nature, but there's nothing wrong with that. OEM 350z suspension is compromised as it's too soft if you want to track your car, OEM RR Phantom suspension is compromised if you enjoy proper steering feedback, pretty much every suspension setup is compromised to some point. So what?

The only exception is the Evora, which is just witchcraft.

Correct.

Technically on the car already but need to finish off height and other bits tomorrow.

???

Critically damped to both compression and rebound for the 350Z? Fair play, I have no idea of the un/sprung masses, but if you do, nice one :)

Moving to your car, what dampers were on it before, OEM?

It's on the first post but they are Bilstein B6's with Tein S springs (new), which are just under a year old, so pretty fresh.

I'll chuck relevant info on a separate post.

You tell me the unsprung weight of the Nissan and how you factored it into the compression/rebound ratios. That was my whole point - it's adjustable so the critical mass or adjustability ratio (between compression/rebound on single adjuster) is not 'essential' as you can tailor more for individual preference.

That is undeniable.

So in conclusion: That damping ratio works for ANY car.

For your concern of weight, that is calculated and incorporated into the springs rate choice.

Since you completely blank out the answer I have given previously, I am not sure what to say anymore.

A quick search online show:

Full weight of the car is 3,216 lbs

Sprung weight of 2,951 lbs

Unsprung weight of 265lbs.

If you can tell me how to factor unsprung weight into the compression/rebound ratios, that would be great.

As I am very interested in your scientific calculation.

Jerrick

Rocket_Rabbit, I have to be honest here - you're just coming across as a complete dickhead in this thread. Your tone is rude and you're not actually making any useful counterarguments, just mocking what people (mostly Jerrick) are saying. Either you're trolling or you're just not as clever as you think you are.

• Like 1

Fast road is not 100% track focused and too aggressive to use on the street, but also not focused at comfort, economy or tyre life either.

??? So it's not track but it's too aggressive to be used on the street? Sounds like a bad setup to me if you can't use it anywhere?!

Simply put, a setup thats optimised to be as fast as possible on roads, from bumpy B Roads to sweeping Autobahns.

Optimised? You mean compromised. A b-road and an Autobahn are VERY different and you cannot possibly expect to be optimised to both unless you have adaptive dampers

I think these quotes show that your just trolling.

Read the first once again. A track setup is too aggressive to use on the street, or have you never driven an actual race car? I think thats pretty clearly what I said, apologies if your comprehension skills arent up to it.

Optimised for more than one situation will always include an element of compromise, thats pretty obvious and anything this side of a drag car is compromised towards something other than performance, again, Id have thought that was obvious. Any street setup will be compromised but it doesnt have to be to the point of being like a Prius.

I also see that a "road" setup is allowed in the world of Rocket Rabbit, I guess thats aiming at comfort is it? So why not Fast Road that's more aimed on pace? I think we all understand "Off Road", where does that fit?

Everyone understands the concept of God whether he exists or not, Fast Road is a concept that everyone other than you seems to understand.