Spacers

Dave6188

I have been contemplating whether to buy 20mm & 25mm spacers for a while now, literally just for looks. The thing that puts me off is the fact it puts extra strain on certain components of the car and I can't help but notice a lot of people on the forum with knackered banana arms & wheel bearings etc. Can spacers be the culprit by putting extra load on these components?

Does it not throw your geometry out or effect the handling of the car?

Had 4 wheel laser alignment and geometry done on my car and don't really want to upset it as it handles nice as it is.

Any info welcome, thanks.

Fitted my spacers a week ago, does 'feel' slightly different, but hard to put finger on how, if anything a little more stable through the corners, but a little more tramlining (wheels want to follow camber and bumps a bit more, nothing extreme). I think my guy gave me an aggressive geometry as well though, so could be down to that (I did ask for fast road setup at the same time, I have HSD coilovers).

I'm in the same boat, I have had 20/25mm spacers in the garage for over a year now thinking should I put them on for the exact same reasons. Also the other thing putting me off from flitting them is that from the side and above the look better but form the front and the rear won't they stick out further then the rear spats and also as the fronts will be further out will that mean more mud and stones are likely to be flicked up the side of the car?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In general small to medium spacers shouldn't make a vast difference to extra loadings, but 15 to 25mm will be fine, a good billet spacer with its own bolts/studs is better than using long studs, as your spreading the load over 10 short studs rather than 5 long studs.

They also shouldn't affect the alignment already done, but will give a slightly different feel.

I've had my 20mm all round set up on for 6 months now. Being overtly paranoid about them I've checked the torque settings once every couple of weeks :). I have also replaced all major suspension components bar the shocks. What's changed, well aside from the car looking better I concur with others who say it definitely feels wider and more planted but does hunt road imperfections more. It still stays true and straight on the motorway though.B roads with more camber are more pronounced but otherwise it's fine.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat, I have had 20/25mm spacers in the garage for over a year now thinking should I put them on for the exact same reasons. Also the other thing putting me off from flitting them is that from the side and above the look better but form the front and the rear won't they stick out further then the rear spats and also as the fronts will be further out will that mean more mud and stones are likely to be flicked up the side of the car?

Put them on, the visual improvement is worth the extra stone chips. Promise.

Never really crossed my mind the fact that it will flick stones & crud up onto the paintwork, good point. Not 100% what to do, also read up that it's not advised for trackdays which does not inspire a lot of confidence !

Never really crossed my mind the fact that it will flick stones & crud up onto the paintwork, good point. Not 100% what to do, also read up that it's not advised for trackdays which does not inspire a lot of confidence !

That's because they have to allow for a wide variety of quality and they don't want people's Chinese wheel spacer studs failing and flinging alloy wheels all over the track. If you buy a quality set (Eibach or similar) you won't have to worry about that, many people on this board drift on spacers with no issues (as I learned myself when asking a similar question some months ago).

If any of you guys have a spare set of 20mm spacers then maybe you could PM me with a price delivered to Poole?

Spacers are a highly sought after item, as they are outrageously expensive for what they are, second hand ones when they pop up are usually gone in hours.

I got my genuine Eibachs for a very good price from this seller...

These are the 25s for the rear, the 20s for the front are a touch cheaper, naturally.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391389474831

• Like 1

Oops! It was the excitement of getting them but maybe 200 would keep me on the road. :) . The spacers arrived today and I have been nursing a semi since. Yes, one of the few things that get me excited at my age. No pics! :) Anyway guys I will check my posts next time. Glad to see a sense of humour in this Forum, Happy New Year to you all. Keep it moist.........

Edited by Firkindolloper

Fitting 20mm spacers to me is no different to selecting aftermarket rims with an offset ET15 to a ET35......

I have a 15/20mm setup, been on track twice this year with now issues.

IMG_20160812_235457_zpslcpwnqyh.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 2

I have spacers on my Zed and yes I do think it handles slightly differently,in my opinion it seems to tram line a little more than it did before but this could also be because my front tyres are low on tread(still legal) but only just.Also again in my opinion the extra stress on suspension components will be very minimal.

Good read, basically if your going to space your car do it equally on every corner eg. 20mm all round and get geometry done as it's throws it out due to the weight being shifted further out onto the wheels. If you space unequally it causes what the "tramline" effect people are on about. Decided I'm staying stock the car handles too sweet to mess with it.

• Like 1

By fitting spacers you are compromising the Kingpin angle and increasing the scrub radius. You are making you car handle worse. Tramlining is one of the side effects of the increased SR

All this to make the car look 'Stanced' is a bit mad. You can't see it when you're in the car, even looking in a shop window you won't tell.

And if you're trying to impress others, the only people who will care are the 14yr olds who don't know any better.

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit
  • Like 4