after market steering wheels,what have you got ?

buster

I'll stick with what my insurance told me about it if and when I change my wheel, then I know I'm 100% good. I do get what your saying Dan, I just don't agree about not fully declaring known mods and unknown mods. Called me picky, but I don't trust insurance company's not to wiggle from any claim. I just don't see the reason not to be tell them about the air bag being defunct, there is no reason not to, except you think it will put up your premium.

I don't "hate" about your exhaust, dont be childish, but there's a huge difference between that and no air bag.

Anyway, good debate, you advise on your take and I advise on mine, doubt the two will meet.

Sorry, I didn't mean you'd hate the exhaust, I thought you'd hate the possible ambiguity of the wording :)

Indeed, a very good debate, refreshing change :thumbs: I guess a lot of my view comes from my law studies, so that I may feel happier backing up my case should anyone try playing silly buggers at any point.

I am genuinely interested though in where you think I'd have lied/not declared in my statement of telling them exactly what wheel I'd put on?

Lol, right last post on this........it's the fact you know the air bag is deleted and they don't, if they don't ask, (it doesn't matter what wheel you put on), but if it nulls the air bag, then thats a mod, but you know there is an undeclared change to the standard function of the car as it came out the factory, notifying of change of wheel is fine and must be done but so is informing them that that change also invokes another mod........The air bag not being there anymore. How can that not be important ?

scratch that last sentence, as above last post, we've derailed busters OP enough. Sorry Buster :surrender:

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
56 minutes ago, Mopedmark said:

NRG throughout, hub, quick release and wheel with suede trim, in purple obviously :) everything from your friendly neighbourhood Tarmac Sportz man

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This a track car? As earlier discussed in this thread i thought it was an MOT failure without OEM airbag? If it is legal whats your insurance like knowning you removed the airbag?

Edited by Jake.Lowther

8 hours ago, Jake.Lowther said:

This a track car? As earlier discussed in this thread i thought it was an MOT failure without OEM airbag? If it is legal whats your insurance like knowning you removed the airbag?

It's only a failure if your airbag warning light is illuminated and the horn isn't wired up. I've had cars pass MOTs with aftermerket momo wheels and no airbag. Edit: this has always been on my pre 2000 cars, not sure about newer models.

Insurance wise, just tell them you have the wheel and should be fine depending on insurer of course.

Edited by zelda

Technically under s5.4 of the current MOT Manual any airbag removal is a failure, however under para5 of the Introduction there is a caveat for extensively modified or converted vehicles i.e. rally cars or stretch limos. In this case, removal of an airbag is not a failure. However, you'd need to prove to the tester/DVSA that the car is indeed extensively modified for competition use. Modified road cars would not count.

However, it's all down to the tester of course...

• 1 month later...

I suspect most Testers are not going to be concerned, if the rest of the car is safe, and all modifications have been carried out properly.

I.e. if the boss kit is loose, the horn wires hanging out, the wheel rocking back and forth etc, they will throw the book at it, but if the wheel is safe and secure, they would be more lenient.

Again all depends on the tester, but all the testers I have used have common sense and an understanding of real world safety vs MOT checklist safety.