Ztrudul

Strudul

Aaaaand sanded again. Much smoother now. No ridges and plenty of feathering. Not sure if it needs a bit more taken off or whether the extra is helping to maintain the curve of the bumper. Will get another sand before priming anyway, so can deal with it then. Got a headache now though, not sure if it's from heat exhaustion in this 30°C weather or inhaling enough fibreglass dust to kill a horse, but it's nothing an ice cold beer can't fix either way. ;)

XXL4JgQ.jpg

• Like 1

Thought I'd do something about my stubby. It cost me £2, but it was a bit too wide at the base...

Decided to sand it down and got the trusty dip out ;)

LSktpVl.jpg

FNfOY75.jpg

vv7PmPX.jpg

MJEsr9f.jpg

Av5iwdA.jpg

Pictures in the sun are hard :(

Edited by Strudul

Yeah but it was lovely and frosty this morning :lol:

It gets cold up North :bleh:

What's the reception like in your stubby?

Since swapping out the bose head unit I can no longer get radio with my stubby!

It's not fantastic, but usually suffices. Rarely use it though as I just plug my phone into the aux.

Yeah but it was lovely and frosty this morning :lol:

It gets cold up North :bleh:

It's not fantastic, but usually suffices. Rarely use it though as I just plug my phone into the aux.

I'm pretty sure this will be dependant upon quality of actual stubby? also check threading is correct and snug. I, like many, run aftermarket HU and have at least as good if not better radio reception with my short stubby than when all was standard.

A

re you sure you fitted the connector for the aerial?

A

re you sure you fitted the connector for the aerial?

Or the power supply that is often not present in iso connectors for some reason.

Tranny mount coming along :happy:

- Took all the measurements needed

- Made a rig to hold everything in place (piece of wood with a hole in for the pin and some nails holding the mount itself in place)

- Cut out most of the rubber with a reciprocating saw

- Burnt the rest out with a propane blow torch and scraped it out

- Went over it with a file to clean it up and key the surface a bit

- Taped and rigged it up

- Mixed the PU and poured it in (hardness will be somewhere around ~70A)

- Completely forgot to take pics of the process

- Now to wait 48 hours for it to fully cure

lcHD2lg.jpg

Edited by Strudul

All the connections are fine, someone holding the tip of the aerial is enough to get a good signal 😂 So I assumed it was down to length

I'll try taking it off and cleaning the thread

Polyurethane tranny mount installed.

No pics cos I was absolutely covered in dirt, oil, bits of dead fox, and general filth.

Was going to do a before and after vid, but my footage from before that isn't drowned out by music is very limited and I've only been for a short drive round town.

Feel

Amazing. So much smoother. No resistance when trying to shift into 2nd (up and down).

Didn't get a chance to try 6th, so it will be interesting to see if it's helped at all.

Noise / Vibration

Fantastic. There is an increase in noise, but it's a lovely deep rumbly noise, like a V8 or a well executed exhaust leak. ;)

There is the faintest hint of whine sometimes, particularly if you don't shift accurately and everything has to adjust speed, but it's barely noticeable.

Didn't notice any increase in vibrations and no new rattles, so that's a bonus.

I haven't gone overly hard, should be somewhere around 70A, but I kinda wish I'd gone a bit harder since it will settle down after a few hundred miles and I'll probably lose some of the new rumbly noises :(

• Like 2

Following on from that, should I re-calibrate my gear gate again? Done it a few times before, but presumably everything will have moved slightly and it won't be perfect anymore?? Or should I just leave it because it feels fine?

So when are you becoming a trader and pimping out your PU mount? :lol:

If you ever do a V2 try and add a rubber surround between the middle metal tube and the PU, perhaps washers or similar may work to add a little dampening.

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 1

So when are you becoming a trader and pimping out your PU mount? :lol:

If you ever do a V2 try and add a rubber surround between the middle metal tube and the PU, perhaps washers or similar may work to add a little dampening.

Considering my thread on PU tranny mounts got trashed and deleted, I'm assuming there wouldn't be any interest :lol:

May be doing one for a mate though and having a look into the diff bushes too. I'd love to do the engine mounts, but they are a right mission to swap out.

Personally I love the noise and wouldn't want to reduce it, but I think the best way to numb it would be to drill a few holes in the PU so it can flex a bit more.

Edited by Strudul

Polyurethane tranny mount installed.

No pics cos I was absolutely covered in dirt, oil, bits of dead fox, and general filth.

Was going to do a before and after vid, but my footage from before that isn't drowned out by music is very limited and I've only been for a short drive round town.

Feel

Amazing. So much smoother. No resistance when trying to shift into 2nd (up and down).

Didn't get a chance to try 6th, so it will be interesting to see if it's helped at all.

Noise / Vibration

Fantastic. There is an increase in noise, but it's a lovely deep rumbly noise, like a V8 or a well executed exhaust leak. ;)

There is the faintest hint of whine sometimes, particularly if you don't shift accurately and everything has to adjust speed, but it's barely noticeable.

Didn't notice any increase in vibrations and no new rattles, so that's a bonus.

I haven't gone overly hard, should be somewhere around 70A, but I kinda wish I'd gone a bit harder since it will settle down after a few hundred miles and I'll probably lose some of the new rumbly noises :(

And mod I've not even been aware of, let alone that it's such a good one, too.

Will try and get polyurethane tyranny and engine mounts based on this review. I bet eliminating gearbox and engine movement will really make a difference to the feel of the car.

And mod I've not even been aware of, let alone that it's such a good one, too.

Will try and get polyurethane tyranny and engine mounts based on this review. I bet eliminating gearbox and engine movement will really make a difference to the feel of the car.

Don't forget the diff bushes. Will massively improve shifting and eliminate wheel hop too.