Bike Project.

Tricky-Ricky

For those that are into bikes, i now have a new project that i really didn't expect, with a heavy heart i have taken on this bike T160 Triumph trident chop, due to recently loosing a very good friend, and his family has asked me to take it on and rebuild it/get it running, as there is nobody else that could, or ride it for that matter.

So its been passed to me with the proviso that i build it and ride it for as long as i am able and then pass it back, however in the future i may well buy it, but just don't have the resources right now.

Long story short he was involved in an accident 25-30 years ago and lost his nerve with bikes, but couldn't get rid of it, and always said he would ride again, but due to suffering servers depression in recent years, he has never got any further with it.

Years ago i re spayed it and despite me trying to persuade him that the colour was just wrong, he went ahead and put it together as you see it here, and then it sat in his flat until this sad time.

So to me it only fitting that i build it again and ride it as he always intended, as a kind of rolling tribute, i will be changing quite a lot of things, as there is now way i would ride that colour, and some of the styling is a little questionable, plus there are some safety aspects that need addressing.

Anyway i,ll keep this updated, but don't know just how long it will take me depending on the amount of new parts needed, but its already in my breakfast room sharing with the cat, as there is no way it will fit in either of my sheds, and still have room to work.

I have already decided that as a light hearted tribute the new tank with have BFG on the sides as to my wife he was always known as The Big Friendly Giant, as he was 6.7 ft and weighed 300lbs, and the wife is 5ft LOL!

Anyway here is a pic before it has a quick wash.

IMG_1724_zpssvxedvqs.jpg

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Picturing you in a whole different way now Ricky. :surrender: Got "Born to be wild" playing in my head. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, ...the colour is definitely not what I'd choose but everyone has different tastes.

Are you going to fit any gauges? As I notice it looks like it has none at all.

I'd imagine you may need to change the tyres as well if they're that old with the bike not being ridden.

The fanny pad will be staying, well after recover,so will the sprung solo as i am going for the bobber look, but not sure how long the wife will tolerate it LOL! but i hate the king & queen seats,

Unfortunately the brakes will also be staying, but they do look small in those pics, will look better without the daft chrome caliper covers, and cross drilled.

Picturing you in a whole different way now Ricky. :surrender: Got "Born to be wild" playing in my head. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, ...the colour is definitely not what I'd choose but everyone has different tastes.

Are you going to fit any gauges? As I notice it looks like it has none at all.

I'd imagine you may need to change the tyres as well if they're that old with the bike not being ridden.

LOL! i have a rather checkered past regarding bike culture,that song and the film has a lot to answer for, ;) rode from the age of 15, until i sold my last bike in 2001, so its going to be errr interesting, getting back in the saddle again......perhaps painful given its a hard-tail and I'm a little long in the tooth.

It has a speedo, but i will fit an oil pressure and temp gauge, as i am going to ditch the oil cooler, as i don't think its necessary, as for styling its going basic for now, satin black and some polishing, chrome and stainless, and in the low rider- bobber style, low flat bars etc.

Motor is a little low on compression, but it could well have a sticky ring or two so i will run it before i tear it down unnecessarily.

• Like 1

Although high tunnel Sportster tanks are OK on the right style, to me it just doesn't work, so i will probably either adapt something or fit a mustang type tank (small fatbob style)

Just a couple of my older bikes, the Bonnie is from the late 90s and the kwacker iis my last, they had both been through some different incarnations, there are many more but some i dont even have pics of.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, got a few bits through, so far have cut down the old fat back mudguard, and fitted one of the Harley bobber type LED under the fender rear lights, also got a new brake master cylinder to fit under the gearbox, also have one of those cheap Chines chain tensioners to make up and weld a bracket for, and see how long it lasts...not convinced so far.

Also bought a little plastic front mudguard, which should just fit with a little cutting down, so in all i recon i have shead around 30lbs off the weight in all.

Just got to cut a piece of stainless pipe for the turn outs, and then the motor can come out and i can give it a good clean and then get on with some bracket welding on the frame, and then hope for slightly warmer weather so i can get on with some spraying.

IMG_1743_zps1xmagngq.jpg

IMG_1744_zpsy7yxtu3s.jpg

IMG_1745_zpslyitqmoe.jpg

IMG_1746_zpshtkw6lib.jpg

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Engine and frame have now parted company, the engine has had a wash and the frame is now getting some brackets removed and others re positioned ready for paint,

IMG_1749_zpsocupfqc9.jpg

IMG_1750_zpsr4ojbq6m.jpg

I have been pondering on what to do about the pipes,, i like the three into two high level look but since i will be moving the passenger foot pegs, the design has to be wife friendly, i was going to make them really short, as i am also fitting a hydraulic clutch conversion, which make the slave run right next to the pipes, but i think i will just shield the cylinder instead, and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't over heat it.

Nifty little thing though, fits just right in place of the cable and retains the original adjustment.

IMG_1751_zpsquiprk26.jpg

Last pic is me trying out an idea with some old fork stanchions, and i have managed to find some slightly shorter turn out extensions on the net complete with baffles for £50, which should with the heat shield i made work OK for the pillion...i hope!

IMG_1748_zpsnbdswyux.jpg

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Yeah its fun, always happy when I'm building something...trouble is i have a lot more aches and pains these days....be OK if i was a masochist.

Colour is going to be satin black, going away from pretty bikes.

Push through the pain as they say, it'll be worth it in the end. ;)

Colour choice sounds good. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well as you can see i have finally managed to get some paint on the frame, and now the engine is back in, and other bits will soon follow, just a case of waiting for some parts to arrive, and some haven't even been ordered yet, and i still have to re make the seats, but it wont be long now, just got to try and string it out until the warmer weather gets here, more progress pics to follow.

IMG_1765_zpskqqofmg4.jpg

IMG_1766_zpsal9gs8cl.jpg

• Like 1

Yes! I'm glad to say, no responses here, but got a link from an bike forum that showed how it was an easy swap to run the electronic ignition system on negative ground, so hopefully problem sorted. :)

Just have to hope that the engine runs OK once its all back together, and i don't end up having to rebuild the engine.

Yes! I'm glad to say, no responses here, but got a link from an bike forum that showed how it was an easy swap to run the electronic ignition system on negative ground, so hopefully problem sorted. :)

Just have to hope that the engine runs OK once its all back together, and i don't end up having to rebuild the engine.

Ahh that's good news then.

Engines sitting idle and then being rebuilt after sometime will always be questionable to how they'll run but fingers crossed all will go well. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...