Just resigned from my job

Commander

For the third time in 12 years with the same employer, I've just resigned. Unlike previous times where money played a part and they could pay me more to keep me, this time I just want out. I have a brilliant team of people working for me which has made this a hard decision, but the rest of the business is just too hard to work with. I've woken up worrying about work stuff too many times, so now it's over.

I'm early 30s, no kids, have a Mrs with a good job and who is 100% behind my decision, we have some money tucked away, and it's strangely relieving not knowing what job I might do next after a couple of months off.

Has anybody else made a similar 'blind leap'? Care to share your success stories? (You can keep the failure stories, thanks! :-p)

Brave man, and I salute you and massively respect your decision sir! :thumbs: I've never done it myself (yet), but I've a mate who has done the same thing recently after being in the same job for at least 15 years, if not longer. It drove him to depression but once he left he's been a new man, and we think has now found himself an ideal job giving him more freedom and paying more, which is always a good thing.

Sometimes you just have to make the jump because you know it's right. Good luck fella, keep us updated with how you get on.

Resigned from 5 separate companies (within my industry) since 2008.

One of which was for similar reasons to you, and it was the greatest decision I ever made (work wise).

Good luck finding something new :thumbs:

Good on you. I'm between contracts at the minute, though it ended rather than me doing the honourable thing and quitting, but I was relieved when it did - properly fed up. The feeling of having a bit of breathing room, to climb down from the ledge, before having to find the next bit of work is tremendous. I'm hoping the next opportunity won't be something that makes me rage on a daily basis.

There's always opportunities out there if you're prepared to put a shift in, sometimes they pay better, sometimes worse. Good luck.

I think even taking that step is a positive one, I hear too many people complaining about their jobs but never actually taking a chance to go for what they want. I quit a miserable job a few years back, volunteered at a local school, got a job out of it too as a maths teacher. Ended up leaving though as by chance an opportunity came up doing something quite exciting I hadn't considered and am still in that same job 4 years later and love what I do. Its not always easy, not fun and games, can be stressful moments, but keep your eye on the end game!

Kind of similar to my situation 15 years ago, worked in print and publishing management and got to the stage of really detesting it to the point of near depression due to pressures in my work and personal life. Negotiated a redundancy package and went self employed. 15 years on and my business employees 4 people. Not been an easy 15 years but much better salary and more importantly a greater peace in my life. Best of luck to you for whatever you decide to do next.

Did a similar thing years ago. I used to work with one of the big 5 accountancy firms in London. Great career with fantastic opportunities, experiences and money. However, ultimately I didn't enjoy the work and knew deep down it wasn't for me. I wanted to change but was worried about taking the step of giving it all up.

Then one day I was sat on the tube and saw a man opposite dressed in his suit, must have been very close to retirement and I thought, if he was my future self looking back over at me would he think - I wish if i was his age i had gone and done something different. That was it for me. Not long after i resigned, went back to Uni to study for a completely different career change, stayed at Uni for far too long :) then started back in IT as a software developer. Been there for 8 years now and still loving it. I do wonder how much money i'd be on if i had stayed but that is all, i have no regrets. I am far happier where i am now, yes i pushed the restart button which does have repurcussions but like you my committments were minimal.

My philosphy is you get one shot to enjoy the life you have, so dont spend it doing things you don't enjoy. Life is too short, enjoy what you do.

• Like 4

Back a long time ago I used to work as a Data Entry Clerk for a large gas firm based in Britain, ...it was mind numbing work, with targets to reach that constantly put pressure on you to perform quickly but without ruining your quality level.

After several years I was done and the day I quit & just walked out was fantastic. Literally didn't even know I was going to do it, went into work, got stressed and pi**ed off in the morning & just quit. :scare:

Has led me on to better things and happier employment in every job since. :)

Worked as a hvac controls engineer for 25 yrs with the same company in the nw and here in wales.

Packed it in one day to help my daughter who had started a small skincare business.

It was scary at the time as I was the main breadwinner, but now I get up when i want, walk over to the workshop and cut some soap!

No more travelling and a lot less stress :)

• Like 1

I have never jacked a job in without having another one lined up before hand. Sometimes ive had to spend months in a job ive hated until another one came along. Guess its the "sensible" part of me making sure that I dont end up with no job at all. I know that some employers actually frown on people who can start work "tomorow", and wonder if they are so good why they havent already got a job.

I have however been made redundant a few times and gone home not knowing at all what will happen next. Each time it turned out for the best to be honest.

Hopefully he'll comment, I remember he did a post on here so maybe you can find it, but Ricey is a massive success story. Properly inspiring too!

Very kind words!

Yip i threw my cards in as a (i like to think) a well respected manager at a sub prime bank. Flogged my car, rented my house out and bogged off to oz (basically extreme stalked my new missus)

Could of gone back to that game as a contracting project manager when i got back but i decided to do something i enjoyed.

Started paying myself a wage this year instead of filing for bankruptcy so i guess ive done something right!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes ive done if a few times too, but, September my job came to an end (self employed). Been looking ever since. Its dead out there. Instrument Electrical Design Engineer, if anyone is looking for one.

Not the same really but for one reason or another I have done production work since leaving school because it's just a case of walking into those jobs.

They've always been deeply unfulfilling just by the nature of the work and the fact that the other people who work there can offer no stimulating conversation and it's so sad to see a guy who has worked there for 15 years and his entire life is work, pub and football.

And middle management in those places have monstrously arrogant personalities because they're given sh1t from the top and they possess virtually no power. Very unhappy people who like to make the people below them suffer.

Anyway...

I got fired from my last one working at a company called Minky. You'll see their ironing boards in ASDA. Having worked at Minky previously I used to operate and maintain all the machines there but I left to look after my mum who was ill.

6 months ago I was there again working on a production line. Horrendous. Mostly women so there was lots of venom in the atmosphere.

At Minky you only get one 20 minute break a day. In which time you have to wash your hands, walk to the canteen at the far end of the factory, cook/eat your food and get back.

You're not allowed a drink with you despite it being 40c in there in summer and the air very dry and full of metallic vapours.

One day I'd been to the toilet 3 times and one of the women reported me and another woman fired me on the spot.

And that was it. The final straw. Enough is enough.

I'm now in University doing a BSc in technology and construction. The feeling that I've broken away and will NEVER be in another warehouse or production role again.

With student finance and a weekend job I earn MORE than I would in a 40hr/wk warehouse job! Plus free council tax if you're a full time student.

If you can leave your job take the opportunity to better yourself and/or improve your prospects. Don't go back to the same stuff like I did.

All the best mate.

• Like 2

One day I'd been to the toilet 3 times and one of the women reported me and another woman fired me on the spot.

When I was working I'd take at least a couple of 5+ minute and a few 1 minute toilet breaks per day...

You can't eat and drink as much as me and not have to go...

Would also be refilling my water bottle every hour or so.

Edited by Strudul

When I was working I'd take at least a couple of 5+ minute and a few 1 minute toilet breaks per day...

You can't eat and drink as much as me and not have to go...

Would also be refilling my water bottle every hour or so.

You'll never be working ar Minky then mate lol. Don't you feel bad?!

You'll never be working ar Minky then mate lol. Don't you feel bad?!

I'd feel worse if I held it in. :lol:

Usually organised breaks while waiting for something to load (yup, sometimes that genuinely takes 5+ minutes).

At least I was only refilling a water bottle (usually whilst passing anyway), everyone else wasted 5 minutes making / buying coffee several times a day.

We had a flexi-time system though, so as long as you put in enough hours (accounting for breaks), they weren't particularly strict.

Edited by Strudul

I very nearly jacked my job in about 10 years ago ........ was in a really bad place (mentally), but eventually got talked out of it by family and friends

persevered and eventually things got better - I enjoy the job I do (mostly), but I just hate working for a Local Authority and want to be my own boss and do my own thing when I want, how I want. I'm pretty much tied to it now due to pension issues etc (would lose a tone of money if i walked), so hoping that in about 5 years I can take early retirement, have access to my pension pot and carry on with my "private" business.............. thats the plan anyway :blush::surrender: