Dash cam. Yes I know lots of topics already....but

Blocko

I commute down a country lane and have had a few near misses with people going to fast (including cyclists) and if an accident happens without a cam it will be 50/50. So for a while I've been thinking of a dash cam. Now I've got a nicer car and following my car park misfortune I've decided it's time. I've been searching and there are lots of recommendations for dash cams that are rather expensive.

Do I need it to work when parked? TBH probably not I was just unlucky last week.

I would like something discrete, with enough wiring to get to my plug socket.

I think night vision would be beneficial.

Will need a memory card.

Nice if it was less than £100.

Are any of you running something like this? I've looked at some online reviews and most of the cheaper ones don't have a night mode and it's hard to tell how much wiring comes with them. Plus in pictures the size is hard to gauge. I'd like something I can tuck out of the way.

Thanks.

A dashcam is only as good as the quality of the footage it provides. If you can't identify a numberplate in the dark with it, then it's useless.

This is why I ended up with a Blackvue. Pricey yes, but the quality of the footage day or night is superb and leaves me in no doubt that I could happily rely on it in court. Plus the software package on both PC and iOS is extremely comprehensive. Personally, I would rather spend another £100 and get something I can rely on then have an accident with crappy footage and curse myself for not spending the extra whilst paying out £1000 for repairs.

• Like 1

The car at 6'50", what's the reg?

The grey car to the left at 7'01", what's the reg?

The green Xsara at 7'32", what's the reg?

This is the point I'm making.

Not stalking you tonight btw, you're just making interesting posts I want to comment on :)

Fair point, but that may be partially down to compression on YT. The raw source file will inevitably look better.

Hard to see anything with those lights glaring though. Got any footage of more expensive cameras making out plates in the same situation?

I just refresh the "View New Content" page and see if there's anything good. Not many active threads atm, so it'd be hard not to end up in the same places :p)

• Like 1

+1 for the blackvue

blackvue DR750lw-2ch has HD front and rear and all the usual accouterments you'd expect. Some people don't like the full blown display in your face type deal but I can't fault it. Piece of mind it offers easily worth the £300 price tag.

I use a Nextbase 312GW in my Z and work van, works really well and the footage quality is superb. Got the hardwire kits with mine which comes with a piggyback fuse holder that you route the cable to and just plug into switched live fuse.

I have the Blackvue 650-2ch - nice and discreet (as no monitor in your face) you can view the footage by streaming it to your phone and you can attch it to their PowerMagic pro for permanent on

again though .......... not really in your price range :wacko:

I have a drivepro. Very easy to use and you can download to your phone its wireless. Very clear both day and night. Uses a mini SD card stores around 2 hrs before overwriting.

I like welsh cakes.

I have a drivepro. Very easy to use and you can download to your phone its wireless. Very clear both day and night. Uses a mini SD card stores around 2 hrs before overwriting.

I like welsh cakes.

Meant to say. Transcend pro

I like welsh cakes.