Best tablet under £200

slipstream

Hi, does anyone have any recommendation on a android tablet for under £200, it's for the misses for christmas, and it doesn't need to be all singing and dancing as she is not very technical, all she wants it for is to check emails and browse the Internet oh and she did request one with a camera ?

All suggestion welcome!

Thanks,

Stuart.

I'd google it, I made the mistake of ignoring reviews for bad battery life. BIG MISTAKE. Glad they stopped making mine haha.

Generally Samsungs seem to be well received, again reviews are key here. But definitely but it new is all I can recommend at this point.

Maybe go to your local PC world or Currys and have a play, check prices, CHECK REVIEWS, then go bargain shopping for the ones she/you liked best

I know you said Android, but have you considered a Windows 10 tablet? I order the Linx 1010 for Work, come with keyboards, Office 35 and Antivirus. This year alone we have distributed about 300 to our students and not had a single return.

UK Company, first class support, and the tablet is a dam good price at under £140. Really good buy, and with it being Windows, most people can get on with it.

Take a look HERE

Samsung Tab E. I know of what I speak. Great tablet. So good for the money I bought one for each of my children (they're 199 euros here). There might be something for around 200 wih a slightly better spec on paper, but for 160, this is truly amazing value.

http://www.currys.co...139237-pdt.html

Edited by Aashenfox

Bought a Lenovo for about £110 from Argos last year, good piece of kit.

And in case you didn't know, Lenovo bought IBM a few years back, so have decent heritage in the stuff they sell now.

I can't comment on android tablets however just wanted to clarify coldel's statement re IBM.

Lenovo bought IBM's Personal Computing business about 10 years ago, they did not buy IBM that said Lenovo products are typically a good standard of quality. I have no experience of their tablets though.

Edited as I put 20 years as opposed to 10... bl00dy fat fingers :lol:

Edited by Fodder

I've been through lots of different tabs over the years and must say the best value for money have been the recent Lenovo tabs! Great bits of kit. Very premium feel to them and had no issues with any of them yet! I'd definitely recommend a Lenovo tab to anyone.

I'm not a tablet man, but I'm in IT so i have about 280ish of them knocking about.

Best IMO would be the Nvidia Shield K1.. Great resolution and clarity, and very quick. I use one when I'm on site to dial into switches or servers for light work or inspection.

If you look about, you can get them for a shade under 200. You'd be hard pressed to find better for that price.

Edited by Juggalo

The Tab E is notably better and still well within budget. While the Tab A has better battery life, that's because its screen is notably lower resolution. Since a tablet is basically just a screen, that's the most important criteria when choosing. The difference between 768p and 800p is more noticeable than you would think. Try them side by side in a store you'll see what I mean. Also, bear in mind that the Tab A is a throwback to the original 4:3 aspect ratio tablet screens (a la ipads), this is great if you spend most of your time reading portrait stuff, such as browsing, but when it comes to watching media at regular 16:9 resolutions, a significant amount of screen real estate is not used, and when the resolution is lower too, it makes quite a difference. For hollywood movies at 21:9 (or more accurately 64:27), the letterboxing on the tab A will be quite extreme. I would review this stuff for profit if I wasn't already doing that in the area of radio controlled cars. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

@aashenfox are you saying you review radio controlled cars and rate them based on how much they pay? I ask as if I reviewed a particular market I'd want a reviewer to be completely impartial.

Take Amazon for example.... its full of 4/5 star reviews and then at the bottom it says along the lines of "I received this product at a discounted rate for an impartial review". I never ever see 1 or 2 star reviews with that statement and if any one received payment for reviewing products I'd be very wary.

@aashenfox are you saying you review radio controlled cars and rate them based on how much they pay? I ask as if I reviewed a particular market I'd want a reviewer to be completely impartial.

Take Amazon for example.... its full of 4/5 star reviews and then at the bottom it says along the lines of "I received this product at a discounted rate for an impartial review". I never ever see 1 or 2 star reviews with that statement and if any one received payment for reviewing products I'd be very wary.

Suspicious much? lol. No, I am a professional reviewer of radio controlled products, independent websites pay me (it's not big bucks, but it's decent) for my reviews of products that they feature as content. Proper 6000+ word reviews with edited video and photography, I've been doing this for over 10 years on the two biggest sites for RC (I've been into RC for 32 years on and off), though for 5 years of that I was technically amateur as I was often receiving only free product, no actual money. I do receive the products for free (and I am permitted to keep/sell/microwave the products thereafter as I please), but that is the extent of my incentive from the manufacturers or distributors. :) I'm actually on a break right now, haven't written anything for a year or so, but I'll be back.

I would write tech reviews for fun, but it's such a competitive area, meh...

Edited by Aashenfox

Another vote for Lenovo.

Same boat buying GF a tablet for xmas 3 years ago, after a lot of reviews and comparing the screens in store too I went with the Lenovo Yoga 10inch tablet.

http://www.gsmarena....let_10-5836.php

Not the best screen resolution however for our day to day use its perfectly up to the job. One thing I found very useful when comparing the screens in the shop is to download the same HD pictures (so long as the shop is connected to the WifI you can do this). Reason being when you look at the demo pictures on the ipad you are looking as some seriously large files and enhanced pictures. If you put the same resolution pictures on both the ipad and another you often see that there is 'less' of a difference in quality than you thought. For sure a screen with a higher dpi will be better, but really depends on what you are wanting to use it for.

Our Yoga tablet has only 149 dpi which is not great in terms of spec on paper, but put a good quality image on it and it really is not bad at all.

Battery life on the Yoga is fantastic too.

Edited by monkeybrain1234

^Good call (nice deal from Tesco there, I thought it would be over budget). As the next step up, there's nothing better for 200, or even the 220 that most places offer it for. 16:10 aspect ratio is fine for media, 1200p great for web browsing, images will pop nicely, 8 core processor should be able to drive most games at that res, and Android 6 built-in. Keep the brightness down a bit when you can as that screen will cane the battery. Sweet tablet for 200, much better than all the others discussed here by a good margin. If you were serious about the 200 budget, this is the one to get, it will blow away her expectations if she already liked the 9.7" one.

Sarg, shame on you, iPads can never be better than any android tablet, no back button. ;) In any case, I guess you were just exaggerating, cos Samsung itself has several tablets in the range much better. If anyone is looking for the best, there is nothing better than the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 in either size at the moment, it's da sickness (I own the 9.7" version and my only complaint is that 4:3 aspect ratio, otherwise incredible tablet), but potential buyers might be better off waiting to see what comes next. ;)

P.S. I just realised, there have been price cuts across the market since this thread started. The Tab E is now going for 130 (160 when I posted that link in my previous post). That's amazing value, but get the Tab A 10.1 if you're going to spend 200.

Edited by Aashenfox