How Crap Are My Tyres?

Strudul

I swear Nangkang have really bad quality control issues. I hear so many people with properly decent cars (who do track them!) saying the tyres are awesome, then so many people in EXACTLY the same situation saying they're so terrible. Federal tyres are the same. It's so bizarre because I see people who I trust giving each opinion and they're so polar opposite.

Please tell me you've at least got tyres on order?

I can tell you it's on my to-do list, but with 2 assignments in for next week I've got other priorities at the moment. I'm not planning on driving anywhere over xmas, and I'll have plenty of time to get it sorted then. I've manged this long without crashing, and that was while messing about and with ESP off. Now I'm being super cautious and ESP is on, I should be okay, at least for another week until i get some more time. Don't worry, you can be the first to say "i told you so" when I end up in a ditch.

I never rush into buying things, it's gonna take me a few days of research and consideration before I commit to anything anyway.

:innocent:

It's not your driving you need to worry about, it's other people. If someone does something unexpected and you need to make a sudden move, that's when you're going to get caught out.

Nobody wants to say I told you so, we're not like that here. We'd much rather prevent the incident in the first place. If you're not driving the car then that's fine, but please ensure you get the tyres sorted before you consider driving anywhere other than directly to get the black round things keeping you in contact with the road changed.

• Like 1

I always drive on the assumption that people are oblivious and will pull out in front of me / cut me up etc. It's why my brakes hardly see any use - I've already planned ahead so I never get to the stage that I need to stomp on.

Obviously it's not foolproof, but fortunately I have a pretty safe route where I'm either crawling along in traffic or I'm the only car about, usually at 30, with a couple of stints up to 50.

However, with Sod's law, the day I actually get new tyres put on will be the day I have a crash.

Appreciate the concern though :thumbs:

Edited by Strudul

You're right Stru, you'll be fine if you drive with a bit of sense.

Where and how the hell are people driving that stress their tyres? Who throws it in to a T-Junction? Who pushes out of a roundabout? Who needs to get to work/home/the shops - a few tenths quicker than the other guy? Assholes?

Seriously, I don't get it. Roads are for moving around carefully on, well within your limits. Go to a track for fun. Sheesh.

(unless there's no-body around ..)

Where and how the hell are people driving that stress their tyres? Who throws it in to a T-Junction? Who pushes out of a roundabout? Who needs to get to work/home/the shops - a few tenths quicker than the other guy? Assholes?

Seriously, I don't get it. Roads are for moving around carefully on, well within your limits. Go to a track for fun. Sheesh.

Glad you added that bit at the end, was starting to think I was one of the assholes :lol:

• Like 2

Again, it's other people that are the problem. That's the unknown factor. Without them you could bumble around at 10mph everywhere and drive as cautious as you like, but that's not the real world.

Even having decent tyres on that are getting down to their last few millimetres won't help and whilst we all like to think we are great drivers and some are good at drifting so that means they are even better........the fact is it will always be the unexpected that will catch out even the best drivers.

Recently had a driving experience at Mercedes Benz World to see just what you could do with the A45 and a C63 with that included traction off/partly on/fully off on the circular skid pan and saturated brake testing areas and like it not with the traction on the stopping distances and gyration prevention were significantly better.

Current situation is not an option.

I think you gave the the answers in the first couple posts, saying you are not in control and you can fix this if drive like a granny where who is better suited to the tyre performance level and driving behaviour/expectations.

Regularly unintentionally losing control on suburban streets is going a bit too far on the dangerous side.

If you're running 19's I am replacing my what I think they were the factory issue: 2011 41k mile RE050's this week so there's some free fronts going - the fronts have a bit of life in em I think. I'd have to check. But the rears are dead.

Or if anyone else wants them.

I'm replacing with MPSS all round.

Edited by chips

Current situation is not an option.

I think you gave the the answers in the first couple posts, saying you are not in control and you can fix this if drive like a granny where who is better suited to the tyre performance level and driving behaviour/expectations.

Regularly unintentionally losing control on suburban streets is going a bit too far on the dangerous side.

If you're running 19's I am replacing my what I think they were the factory issue: 2011 41k mile RE050's this week so there's some free fronts going - the fronts have a bit of life in em I think. I'd have to check. But the rears are dead.

Or if anyone else wants them.

I'm replacing with MPSS all round.

I'm not disagreeing with the advice, but (for conversation's sake) I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm not in control most of the time.

As badass as it'd be, It's not like I'm accidentally doing a reverse entry into every corner. With the ESP on, there is just sometimes a little slip for a fraction of a second if the surface isn't great, nothing out of control, and I wouldn't say unsafe, because I'm always half-expecting it and ready to deal with it.

Having to swerve and stopping distances are another matter as Dan rightly points out. That being said, a crash can sometimes be unavoidable no matter how good your tyres are, though I agree better (and matched) tyres will reduce the risk significantly.

I'm only running the OEM Rays (18" I believe).

Edited by Strudul