How Crap Are My Tyres?

Strudul

So I seem to be slipping about a lot now it's winter and I'm thinking the problem is my rear tyres more than anything.

One is an Evergreen EU72 and the other is a Riken Maystorm 2.

Obviously for starters mixing brands is less than ideal, but that's how the car came when I bought it.

Plenty of tread on them, and they seem to be equal and wearing evenly, I just have doubts about their performance.

Am I going to see a massive difference if I change them?

Should I really change them ASAP or am I fine to keep using them until they reach the legal limit?

Is it really worth going for more expensive tyres? It's not like I'm struggling, I just have to be more cautious than I feel I could be with expensive fancy tyres.

Thoughts?

Edited by Strudul

Erm, you have different tyres across teh same axle?! If so, CHANGE THEM NOW. Literally drive straight to a garage and get a matching set put on. Do not pass go, do not collect £200 etc.

If mixed front to back, the same advice applies but it's not quite so life and death. I mean, you're still risking £8K worth of car in the worst possible conditions for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, but that's your choice. I would always recommend a matching set of tyres all round, and if they're a premium tyre like the MPSS then all the better.

• Like 4

Erm, you have different tyres across teh same axle?! If so, CHANGE THEM NOW. Literally drive straight to a garage and get a matching set put on. Do not pass go, do not collect £200 etc.

If mixed front to back, the same advice applies but it's not quite so life and death. I mean, you're still risking £8K worth of car in the worst possible conditions for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, but that's your choice. I would always recommend a matching set of tyres all round, and if they're a premium tyre like the MPSS then all the better.

Yeah, as i said, I bought it like that. I did question the dealer at the time, but he just shrugged.

I believe the front tyres are matching, is it possible to swap those with my rears or are they different sizes? (Not an ideal solution, but better than current?)

About as bad as your grammar :lol:

I had mid level tires on my car up until late this year, the only time they've ever spun on me is going too fast in the wet around corners. Is your traction control turned off?

Thanks (I think?) :D

ESP is off for now.

Edited by Strudul

Reading online reviews for both brands, they are crap, and even crappier in the wet. And mixing them together on the back of a 300bhp rear wheel drive car over winter is verging on lunacy.

Close your wallet, put a stop to any mods or fancy stuff you were thinking of doing on the car, buy some tyres, at least get some better reviewed mid range ones.

• Like 1

Reading online reviews for both brands, they are crap, and even crappier in the wet. And mixing them together on the back of a 300bhp rear wheel drive car over winter is verging on lunacy.

Close your wallet, put a stop to any mods or fancy stuff you were thinking of doing on the car, buy some tyres, at least get some better reviewed mid range ones.

Can afford to do both (the mods I'm planning are super cheap). Only problem is the tight Northerner in me not wanting to "waste" money when it doesn't seem necessary. I don't feel like I'm having any problems as long as I drive sensibly, but I guess what's the point having a 300bhp RWD car if I have to drive like my grandma.

Appreciate the advice anyway. Will try convince myself and get something sorted. Might need to go watch some vids on the difference between good and bad tyres and the dangers involved.

Just get them done - trade them in to some drifters and get the £20 they are worth honestly. I had brand spanking new budget tyres on my car when I bought it, the difference when I put the Vorti's on was night and day and I could drive the car properly.

I had mid level tires on my car up until late this year, the only time they've ever spun on me is going too fast in the wet around corners. Is your traction control turned off?

Your spelling after that grammar ticking off made me chuckle.

Can afford to do both (the mods I'm planning are super cheap). Only problem is the tight Northerner in me not wanting to "waste" money when it doesn't seem necessary. I don't feel like I'm having any problems as long as I drive sensibly, but I guess what's the point having a 300bhp RWD car if I have to drive like my grandma.

Appreciate the advice anyway. Will try convince myself and get something sorted. Might need to go watch some vids on the difference between good and bad tyres and the dangers involved.

None of us like wasting money but it is better than wasting your life and maybe others using such awful tyres. As has been said on the forum, running a ZED is not cheap and to fully enjoy it (rather than pretending to be your grandma) good tyres, as well as good brakes, are an absolute must :bangin:

• Like 2

You seriously need to change those rears for a matching pair before your on here telling us you've wrote your car off. Get some decent brand part worns if your that tight! I usually manage to get hold of a matching pair with 6-7 mm on for decent money, then stick your wah fong ditch hunters on eBay.

Hold up, what's wrong with my grammar? :(

The titles missing a pluralisation, I was only joking though. I can't change my spell check from american, its a bit of a nightmare.

Back on topic, were you joking about having the ESP off? Having the ESP off combined with mismatched budget tyres is crazy.

Edited by Randy_Baton

The titles missing a pluralisation, I was only joking though. I can't change my spell check from american, its a bit of a nightmare.

Back on topic, were you joking about having the ESP off? Having the ESP off combined with mismatched budget tyres is crazy.

You have a keyboard :doh:

But you are quite right about driving with the ESP off - only adding for the accidents waiting to happen.

Oh wow, that's awful. My Grammar is usually impeccable. I must've re-read my post 50 times, never thought to check the title. :huh:

Umm, wasn't joking about the ESP being off, and everything was fine until this happened:

I have a confession, today on the way home I almost binned it.

I've been playing around with the ESP off for the past few weeks and only had the slightest of tail slippage. Was beginning to wonder what all the fuss was about with regards to TC... and RWD in general for that matter.

So anyway, slowed down coming up to a roundabout, into 2nd, foot down, next thing I know I'm going sideways, missing my exit and heading right for this island:

6d39cf1d554ab6e388fb39bcad41ead8.png

Tried steering into the turn, but I think I was either too late or didn't counter steer enough and was just going to hit the island, so instead I ended up just turning to keep going round the roundabout. Luckily I managed to save it and nobody pulled out, I went full circle and was on my way (ESP back on). I'm sure everyone thought I was a complete idiot ( and rightly so :surrender: ).

Not entirely sure how it happened, whether there was something slippy on the road, or I used a hint more throttle than usual at just the wrong time. Wasn't going particularly fast, maybe only 30, but yeah, enough to give a little scare.

Left it firmly on since then and been hyper-aware on every corner. :surrender:

maxresdefault.jpg

title's