Clutch Slave 370 Issue

Steelbeans

Hi all

Is the clutch slave cylinder issue (one of the only relatively common issues on these cars) something to be worried about? I assume it'll fail through seals going? I had mine replaced at around 40-50k so wondering what the chances of it going again at 100k...

Is it obvious through the clutch pedal when these do start to go?

Cheers

When they fail you get little warning as the seal burst and the pedal falls to the floor and you are literally stranded unless you have the skills to start the car, get it in gear, change gears and get home or to a garage with out a clutch.

The OEM CSC will fail again, however if you have an upgraded CSC fitted then you should be fine.

I've read about this issue recently and along with the oil gallery issue, both worry me. I'm having the oil gallery issue delt with at the moment. Regarding the CSC issue, do you know if the gearbox has to be removed to replace it it can it be done without this.

If the gearbox has to come out, I'm thinking it might sensible to replace the clutch plate at the same time and this could all add up to big bucks.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Ewen, I was more thinking about how far to go if I did have the gear box dropped and the slave cylinder upgraded. As you know it would make sense to change the clutch and possibly the fly wheel, dependant on condition, while we were on, which I understand is quite expensive. I've been quoted a ballpark figure of £3k ish (clutch and flywheel)

I'm just thinking ahead because you may have read I bought my daughter a 370 and to avoid any problems that might catch her out I was thinking replacing the csc. To be honest I'd be frightened to open it up in case the flywheel is duff.

The cars only done 36K but I've no idea how hard it's been driven!

I need to think a little on this one me thinks :)

£3k for clutch and flywheel seems rather excessive! Unless you are going for really high end high power use clutch. Otherwise £1.5k seems more realistic for standard kit.

Well that's what I had been thinking the cost would be for my 350, so when I got this ballpark figure I was supprised. A lot of his focus was on the flywheel cost. I don't want to mention names because the guy seemed genuine to me and I don't believe he was looking to rip me off.

Edit..meant to say the price included labour and vat (all in as he said)

Edited by Dicky