Rear arch hit in accident - thoughts?

GreenLandy

Moved into new house on Monday and new neighbour reversed into the 350, great way to meet them....

Hit the driver's rear arch and put a decent dent in.

What are people's thoughts re: repair? It's double skinned there and I'm concerned that just pulling the dent out and painting it won't address the damage inbetween the layers of metal - i.e. Any paint/rust prevention coating. Am I justified in thinking this?

I'm thinking of going to TGM as they're well spoken of here and only down the road so will see what they think, but would like to have an idea first of what issues there may be.

post-23335-0-37847800-1481100402_thumb.jpg

That's a good one, he wasn't going slowly was he! On the bright side, get it out of the way first day, you can be sure he won't make the same mistake again! Did he seem like a bit of a div? Just curious. Sorry I have no practical advice.

Tbh I'd just be handing the whole thing over to your insurer and letting them figure it out mate. No way that's going to be more than the value of the car for the risk of write off, so might as well make life easier for yourself.

Ouch ! This seems to be happening a lot at the moment. :scare:

I would get a few quotes from reasonable repairers first and see if your neighbour is able to pay out of their own pocket.

Although you are non fault, insurers are still asking you to declare 'any incidents' and unfortunately your premium may still go up as a result.

Hindering corrosion around newly welded panels where they are joined is a PITA, so it would be better for the car if the panel was repaired. Also you would be looing at big saving on parts and labour if it was.

If the cost is too high for your neighbour, then I would go through your insurer.

Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by Rob332

Sorry to see that and what a way to meet the new neighbours. :thumbdown: My guess would be that it will cost between £600-£1000 at least to get that fixed properly by a decent bodyshop.

Good luck whichever way (cash in hand or Insurance) you decide to go about getting it done. ;)

Yeah it is going the insurance route, no intention of faffing around, I would just rather a more competent body shop did it than some generic repair place. I know it can be a pain re: future cover, but hey, it's what we pay insurance for.

Still local zeezeebaba yes.

I hadn't thought about issues at the join if the panel was replaced, I was more concerned about inbetween the 2 skins if it was pulled out, filled and painted, hence wanting to go somewhere like TGM

It can be replaced, joined at the roof frame and the sill.

You would be looking at approx. 13hours to replace, plus around 6 hours to paint and blend into the front door.

1/4 panel would be around £500 new from Nissan.

Total rough cost would be around £1,400 + VAT depending on the labour rate.

Edited by Rob332

I would ask a dent repairer to have a look and see if they can pull out the dent somewhat, then take it to a bodyshop and have them fill what needs to be filled and paint over it.

Sounds like a hassle if things go wrong, the bodyshop could blame the dent guy and the dent guy could blame the bodyshop and you'd be in a world of pain... easier to have one person to blame if you need things corrected.

• 1 month later...

Had the repair done by TGM last week, and very impressed with the results. Silver lining is there was a tiny dent in the arch before (from when I bought it) that has now gone, and Will appears to have sorted the wonky fuel cap out too :D

dac7e490-064d-4cc7-bedf-b43ea1eaaf0f_zpsaetdvvro.jpg

20170127_133223_zpsuo87gn14.jpg

Edited by GreenLandy
  • Like 3

Done through insurance, that was never in question.

Don't know what the price was as I didn't see the quote, but one of the other places I suggested to the ins co was just under a grand, so I'd guess £8-900? But don't know.

Had the use of a brand new (as in 200 miles on the clock) C220d AMG-line, which, whilst not super quick, was rather a pleasant hire car to have. Was still good to get the Z back mind

• Like 1

Glad all sorted mine got bumped earlier in carpark ,he drove off but caught him denied at first as he said had reversing sensors !!!! but all my mates came out and one seen him doing it so dosent want to go through insurance as a funeral director and all his cars on one policy.. so going to have his pants right down!! :D

• Like 2

Glad all sorted mine got bumped earlier in carpark ,he drove off but caught him denied at first as he said had reversing sensors !!!! but all my mates came out and one seen him doing it so dosent want to go through insurance as a funeral director and all his cars on one policy.. so going to have his pants right down!! :D

Indirect necrophilia.... :)