Is the 370Z Reliable? Warranty Cost?

FallenAngelX

N54 is a forged engine in 35is

They are tough but turbo's do fail... and you have to pull the engine to fit new ones...look at £2500-£3000.

High pressure fuel pump

Low pressure pump

Injectors

Water pump

Vanos solenoids

Cam ledge bearings

All common things....

Again you need a warranty

• Like 1

nissan wouldnt touch it due to my mods....

What mods do you have installed that Nissan got funny about? 6k for a clutch is poor :(

stillen gen 3 , invidia exhaust system , berk decats, smoothed out intake manifold , braided hoses ,2 piece discs , extreme clutch kit ,lightweight single mass fly wheel and ecutek software

N54 is a forged engine in 35is

They are tough but turbo's do fail... and you have to pull the engine to fit new ones...look at £2500-£3000.

High pressure fuel pump

Low pressure pump

Injectors

Water pump

Vanos solenoids

Cam ledge bearings

All common things....

Again you need a warranty

So just been on the phone to the BMW insurance company.

Their are 2 requirements to qualify.

Fully service history - Fine this is easy to find

Proof that genuine BMW parts used in all repairs - What???? How on earth am I ever meant to prove this, starting to get the feeling that this is just a get out clause. Really not sure how to feel about their whole warranty at this point.

When ever I look at this, i just think WOW that looks amazing. Hard to resist, guide me in the right direction guys!

03.jpg

Reality means it must have full BMW dealership history i guess...

Or if an indy has serviced the car then receipts from BMW service department to correspond with service dates.

Many if not most have full BMW history though i would have thought...

Reality means it must have full BMW dealership history i guess...

Or if an indy has serviced the car then receipts from BMW service department to correspond with service dates.

Many if not most have full BMW history though i would have thought...

Their are barely any 35I DCT cars for sale on auto trader, the few that have full BMW service history have something else wrong with them, IE the care is bare with barely any extras, or it has had lots of owners. Bleh!

If reliability is top of your buying list go for a Lexus ☺

Nice idea, but there's no Lexus alternative (sporty coupe) in a similar price range (RC is £30k+).

Jag XK on the other hand....

Though if manual is a must, you are pretty much left with the 370Z, Z4 or Cayman.

Edited by Strudul

Thought I'd throw my opinion on the reliability side following earlier opinions to balance the debate.

Had my roadster from new for nearly 7 years. Only thing I've spent money on as a necessity was a windscreen washer pump. Cars otherwise in perfect condition.

Mechanically solid car but not refined. Very rough on the edges but that's part of the appeal I guess.

Would I buy another one? I dunno actually.. Tough question!

I'm on my third 370 now - first was a GT Ultimate (2009) (No mods), second was a 40th Anniversary Edition (2010) (Aftermarket CBE) and now the current Nismo (Mods listed below). I don't get to drive as much as I'd like but I reckon I've covered about 30,000 miles without encountering a significant problem. The one issue common to all three cars has been the slightly irritating boot spring problem.

Having been hanging around this forum for a good few years, my impression is that they're generally very reliable cars.

Edited by sipar69

So if i were to buy a 370Z it would have to be the 7AT gearbox. If something where to go wrong with this what is the typical sort of cost for replacement, The BMW DCT boxes cost around £5k IIRC which is insane.

Is the 370Z auto box on the same level, and if not what is a general replacement guideline cost.

Thanks all

Realistically, I don't think you will ever be comfortable in a 370Z if you're going to spend all your time worrying about what could break. I'd suggest looking at cheaper cars, where you can afford to replace the big bits without losing sleep over it.

• Like 1

Not sure I recall anyone needing a replacement box other than octet who then had a special built up by an Indy over pond that would take up to 1000 bhp I believe when he had his 370 blown to give over 600 bhp.

Maybe a call to a dealer......sitting down, me thinks :scare: . Or you could pm Zmanalex who may have that info.

Realistically, I don't think you will ever be comfortable in a 370Z if you're going to spend all your time worrying about what could break. I'd suggest looking at cheaper cars, where you can afford to replace the big bits without losing sleep over it.

I became like this after my 350Z, stuff just kept going wrong one thing after another. Maybe i was just unlucky. Chances are I am worrying over nothing. Probably need a day or two to relax about it... lol

Thing is this is going to be a second car too, something I want to look at it, sit in, hear the sound of it and think wow, and the 370Z with a few mods could be all that and more.

Edited by FallenAngelX

if the gearbox goes, surely there is the cheaper option of repairing it rather than needing a complete replacement. Might be a lot of labour, but should still be cheaper than a new box.

If a replacement is required, you can always buy a used one for a lot less and then just pay someone to swap it in.

Are there really that many reported issues with the 7AT though for it to be such a concern? You could buy the most reliable car ever and still have everything break, likewise you could buy an Audi and have no problems whatsoever. As long as you have some spare cash just in case, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The thing is.....

Anything that 300bhp has potential to throw big bills at you. I cant think of any car thats an exception...

You have to try and get low miles if budget permits and thats the best safeguard.. Im not saying higher miles are a bad thing,just low miles will let your mind sleep easier.

I became like this after my 350Z, stuff just kept going wrong one thing after another. Maybe i was just unlucky. Chances are I am worrying over nothing. Probably need a day or two to relax about it... lol

Thing is this is going to be a second car too, something I want to look at it, sit in, hear the sound of it and think wow, and the 370Z with a few mods could be all that and more.

Funny I never had any problems with my 350 hence the reason I now have a 370.As pointed out any car can have an issue ,you can just be unlucky.