Anyone work in the rail industry

StevoD

Probably best to contact the rail company that operates in your area and ask them. I applied for a drivers job about ten years ago and the only people on the course with me that got through already worked for the rail company as guards. I don't know much about other office based roles though.

My friend is a train driver.

From what I saw of his experience it was a massive uphill battle! It took him a very long time and lots of applications to get into the job. He then had at least 6-7 years worth of training and shunting trains around the yard before he was ever let loose on a real train. I was very surprised by the amount of work involved in becoming a train driver.

My aunt has worked in the ticket offices pretty much her whole life. Shes seems to get great benefits, discounts and really really good overtime pay. They are also very flexible with her hours which is good for her as she has a daughter to look after. She seems to enjoy the job. But she has said to me in the past that they will always try and hire internally first (I suppose like a lot of companies).

That's pretty much my 2 cents. Hopefully your'll be able to take something from it.

Well the industry is massive and covers a massive array of jobs. Might want to start by narrowing it down a little bit by the type of role you are after - driver, conductor, engineer, maintenance etc?

My understanding is that it's bloody hard to become a driver. Super competitive, but really good pay for a relatively easy job once you get there.

Sadly, there's a lot of nepotism still prevalent in the rail industry, however don't let that put you off.

There are several career tracks, no pun intended, that you can go, depending on your quals. Engineering (civil and mechanical), maintenance, operations, which is more to do with the running of trains (drivers, conductors, station staff etc.), so run by Train Operating Companies (TOCs) or Network Rail for the track, power and signalling side.

It all depends on your qualifications, but the opportunities are endless in the railway industry. There are a lot of sub contract companies working for NR.

Driver training takes two years, it's all dependent on hrs and traction driven with basic rules and traction courses to be completed before being given a driver instructor, roughly 300hrs of train handling, but can be more before being passed out as a driver. No formal qualifications are required but there is a large, competitive field that TOCs can choose from. Lots of teachers, policemen and other professionals are attracted by the high wages and excellent benefits.

The entry tests are not that difficult, attention to detail is where most applicants fall down and psychometric testing weeds them out. Don't bother applying if you're colour blind, for a driving position, for obvious reasons.

If you like the outdoor life, in all weathers, mostly nights and certainly all bank holidays, then Permanent Way (PWay) is the way to go. That's NR. Pay and conditions (apart from when it's driving rain and freezing) are excellent. Do your research and keep applying, you may have to move for the right job.

Ok edit: just seen your post, if it's rolling stock maintenance TOCs run this part. Coordination of rolling stock, that's more a control/TCS type job. You'll not walk in off the street to either of those posts.

Edited by The G Man

'In off the street' is a railway term. Have you looked on any of the TOCs sites to see what's available? I know of people who've started as carriage cleaners and ended up seriously high on the management scales, the last MD was a carpet fitter, who started in the signalling grade.

It is an industry that offers limitless opportunity.

'In off the street' is a railway term. Have you looked on any of the TOCs sites to see what's available? I know of people who've started as carriage cleaners and ended up seriously high on the management scales, the last MD was a carpet fitter, who started in the signalling grade.

yea i have applied for a role of two unsuccessfully

yea i have applied for a role of two unsuccessfully

This one was in June, bit there are others, it gives a good insight on what's on offer http://www.raillive.com/

Opportunities to network as well :thumbs:

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 2

If you'r starting a new career in any field you need to consider the role that automation might have. I doubt train drive/conductor will even be a job in 10 years time.

not driving more maintenance/coordinating of rolling stock

RTFP.

Driverless trains already exist, they're all in sidings, going nowhere :lol: Go Sothern Rail :thumbs:

Anyway, that's not helping Steve. I've got some relatively high up friends in Network Rail darn sarf, I'll ask what your first move should be to get into maintenance/planning. Got a few friends with TFL as well, on the maintenance side, I'll give them a poke too :thumbs:

Wait out........