Frozen door

davey_83

I guess it's bad to open the car door/s when the glass looks to be frozen, as the motor just stalls on trying to automatically lower the glass as it does. Is this a contributing factor to the motors failing in time?

To be fair, not sure what else you can do....

Don't worry, I had the issue last year of my door lock freezing, window would go up and down no problem ( obviously watered it as above ) but the door locking mechanism was frozen...

Very awkward trying to tell your co worker they can't come home cause its frozen ( worked night shifts ). After about 20 mins heading home with the cars heating on high it finally opened haha went through about a week of this... eventually stopped and have no idea what caused it.

Keep some water in a bottle at room temperature.

When you go to your frozen door take said water an run it gently over the joints between glass and frame :thumbs:

Thats exactly what I do. Had to do it on my 997 this morning. Mind you the ice was so thick it took me about 30mins to scrape it all off the windows after I got the car running.

I have a bottle of Gummi Pflege.........it was good. I bough it mainly to revive/restore my rubber door seals but wasn't aware it could help with frozen door =)

Where are you (Dave6188) based in Yorkshire? I'm happy to apply some to your door seals if you can come to me in Huddersfield??

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

Time to "Gummi Pflege" your door rubbers. Have a google.

Is that stuff pretty good then ?

As far as I'm concerned the best. Some will say you can use silicon grease or vaseline.

But if the wife or daughter got that on there clothes it would be a bugger to get out and I'd be in the poo. :lol:

So at 5 or 6 quid and the fact that the one I have, I've been using since '09' when I got my 350.

To me it's the best and a bargain. (I do our 4 cars probably 2/3 times a year and it's still going)

I have a bottle of Gummi Pflege.........it was good. I bough it mainly to revive/restore my rubber door seals but wasn't aware it could help with frozen door =)

Where are you (Dave6188) based in Yorkshire? I'm happy to apply some to your door seals if you can come to me in Huddersfield??

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Hull so a bit of a trek, I am going to buy some anyway it's only £7.99 on Ebay

• Like 1

Where are you based in Yorkshire? I'm happy to apply some to your door seals if you can come to me in Huddersfield??

Don't suppose I can be cheeky and take you up on this? Haven't had any problems yet, but better safe than sorry, and I'm in Huddersfield most days. :)

Edited by Strudul

You can also prevent or unfreeze your locks by using a product in a small bottle which carries some sort of deicer, it also has a long thin delivery tube and is called "Lock Deicer". I bought mine years ago and its still going strong and i would imagine at today's prices would cost you @ £5-50

Where are you based in Yorkshire? I'm happy to apply some to your door seals if you can come to me in Huddersfield??

Don't suppose I can be cheeky and take you up on this? Haven't had any problems yet, but better safe than sorry, and I'm in Huddersfield most days. :)

Apologies, i did not get any notifications until today that you have quoted me in this post.

Yeah, no problem. Let me dig it out from my garage tonight to confirm they are still there. I'll put it in my car.

• Like 1

Found them and it's in my zed now. It will only take 5 mins or less to apply. Bring a microfiber cloth with you to clean the rubber seals before applying. I'm free this Thursday after work at around 4.00pm to 4.30pm ish. We can meet at Lidl main parking?

• Like 1

Found them and it's in my zed now. It will only take 5 mins or less to apply. Bring a microfiber cloth with you to clean the rubber seals before applying. I'm free this Thursday after work at around 4.00pm to 4.30pm ish. We can meet at Lidl main parking?

Sweet. Will chuck my microfiber in the Z so I can't forget it. :thumbs:

That works perfectly for me. I'm pretty much free from 12 and will just be doing stuff in uni / gym.

That's Lidl on Wakefield Rd, right (not the Castlegate one)?