Battery drained after a week of not running.

Notch

Hi all,

I am in the military so there are often times where I don't run my zed for a week or more at a time, when I try to start it up after its been standing for around a week the battery hasn't got enough charge to turn it over. I have a toad alarm, but even when I lock it with the key and don't arm this the battery dies. Is this a standard problem that I'm just missing something? Or does it seem like I need a new battery...

Usually driven for 30+ miles, I try not to do short distances that wouldn't put the engine through a full heat cycle. I only charged it once and it took over 24 hours, at the moment I am making sure I park on a hill to bump start it which can't be good for it! The battery seems like it is fairly new but as it doesn't seem to be a standard problem I guess that the only solution is a new battery.

I'd say its your alarm putting more load on the battery

I had a Viper alarm on mine for a while and battery would last 7-10 days before it would be a gamble starting. Even after replacing the battery in 2014 with Bosch S4 this didn't really improve much.

I've since replaced the alarm and now the battery lasts somewhere between 2-3 weeks before it needs charging or jumping.

Assuming it does start then I have no problems stopping and starting again after a relatively short 10-20 minute journey.

I don't think it's unusual, you'd hope it would start after a week but much longer I'd expect issues. I've not owned my zed long enough to say how good the batteries are but I've had 4 other performance Nissans and they all suffered for this. A trickle charger is the best solution as long as you can get the car close enough to some power.

To add to my woes I've also got a dash cam. It totaled my last battery in ~9 months. I can't trickle charge very easily, so I've resorted to using 2 batteries, keeping one on trickle charge and then swapping it for the one in the car each month.

Changing the battery is a right PITA.

The cold is a killer for batteries, maybe the low temps have finished it off, 50 quid for a new one :)

Yes, I've replaced my battery twice and Caroline's once....all three times in the middle of winter :cold: . Lack of use in my case as well.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to replacing the battery after it got to the point of a single day before it died! Works perfectly now, really should do the UK battery conversion but needed a quick fix. Thanks for the help all.

How about trying one of those solar panel chargers that plug into the obd port?

Then for emergencies you could try one of those usb power bank style jump starters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015R50M6E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486841626&sr=8-1π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aukey+jump+starter&dpPl=1&dpID=41PUi2HX2TL&ref=plSrch

I got this for £15 on an offer.

Worth a punt and if it doesn't work you can send it back to Amazon or just use it as a power bank :thumbs:

Thats a really good idea. I had a look at portable jump start kits but a lot of them say they won't work on engines over 2.5l. Why is this? I assume because it takes a bigger spark to ignite?

No expert, but isn't it down to the number of amps required to turn the big 3.5l lump over.

Obviously a lot more money (£85, inc. forum discount), but I keep this portable jumpstarter in my car. Its saved me numerous times last year and its also good for charging up gadgets etc.

Plenty of us seem to have one and no ones reported it not working on a zed

http://www.350z-uk.c...-that-start-v8/

Edited by Randy_Baton