Insurance & Mods

bytespc

Well it's that time of year again and being 58 and registered Disabled with a degenerative condition DVLA Aware and no restrictions along with just aftermarket alloys and full Cobra Resonated. All declared and 25years plus no claims was shocked how much the mods added to the premium, after several hours of pc form filling and phone calls with mods declared my premium has risen by £130.00 a year and my declared 8000 milage has to be monitored.

Is this normal ?, BTW loads refused to insure when exhaust was added ?, now with Adrian Flax lots of extras included with the policy, protected no claims / courtesy car etc

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yup, absolutely normal. More likely to be stolen, crashed, and will cost more to repair.

Thanks for the swift reply, really you think it's that simple.....oh well you live and learn.

I'm surprised how much more the modifications have added. A lot of insurers won't touch modified cars so it limits your options but without forced induction none of the mods are likely to have given big bhp gains so I'm surprised the premium has jumped that much.

Yup, absolutely normal. More likely to be stolen, crashed, and will cost more to repair.

Thanks for the swift reply, really you think it's that simple.....oh well you live and learn.

To an insurer, sadly it is.

Insured mine yesterday too.

For comparison, my car is an 05 and completely standard. Im 54 and have seven years no claims. Set the milage to 6k. Didnt take any no claims protection or legal cover. So bare bones fully comp cover.

I paid £319.00. Went with Direct Line.

I think thats a fair price. And its about 70 quid more than I paid to insure the Boxster S last December.

Oh.. and I have three points.

Am 24 (3 weeks off 25) with mods declared, 8k milage, commuting to and from work and kept on the driveway with possibility of being locked away in a garage. 5 years licence with 5 years NCB, and I paid £550 which I was ok with (it is my first RWD and ive only owned it just over a year so I let it slide this time)

Somethings wrong with the price you're paying?

The thing I think most of you have missed is my Disability, so as was mentioned quiet early on I think it was just the Mods that put up the price, this is the first year fitted and declared, my surprise was how much and the fact that several reputable ( is there such a thing ) Insurers refused to even quote with Mods Declared.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, Adrian Flux have been vey helpful so went with them ( first time ) of course come renewal I will do it all again as I never accept a renewal price.

Not exactly surprising that they don't have any interest in the modified car market.

LV insured my old 350 with a mod list stretching onto the back of an A4 page :shrug:

Insurance quoting is like a raffle, don't take much notice or who quotes you or who doesn't want your money, just always find the best deal available to you.

LV have pretty much stopped taking any mods on now, in the last couple of years. The Lotus guys got stung pretty badly by that.

I would be pretty angry if I was with a company for a few years and then they suddenly refuse to insure me. Absolutely nothing anyone can do about it, but they'd certainly be on the naughty list!

• Like 2

Well it's that time of year again and being 58 and registered Disabled with a degenerative condition DVLA Aware and no restrictions along with just aftermarket alloys and full Cobra Resonated. All declared and 25years plus no claims was shocked how much the mods added to the premium, after several hours of pc form filling and phone calls with mods declared my premium has risen by £130.00 a year and my declared 8000 milage has to be monitored.

Is this normal ?, BTW loads refused to insure when exhaust was added ?, now with Adrian Flax lots of extras included with the policy, protected no claims / courtesy car etc

I am 53. Last year when I had a 350 and when getting quotes for car with modified exhaust there was little difference in the premium. Now have a 370, looking again at quotes if I modify the exhaust and also looking at approx. £130 hike in price.

• Like 1

The thing I think most of you have missed is my Disability, so as was mentioned quiet early on I think it was just the Mods that put up the price, this is the first year fitted and declared, my surprise was how much and the fact that several reputable ( is there such a thing ) Insurers refused to even quote with Mods Declared.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, Adrian Flux have been vey helpful so went with them ( first time ) of course come renewal I will do it all again as I never accept a renewal price.

Hi,

Glad we could help out with your insurance.

Regards,

Dan.