Winter Tyres - Public Service Announcement

ben@RARE RIMS

It's that time of year again - temperatures are regularly into single digits, and the ground is usually colder than that.

Some areas are being hit with snow, ice, and around here huge amounts of rain!

To get the most from your car, be it daily or toy, if you plan to use it through the winter, consider some winter tyres!

The net cost if you keep the car balances out, as you're not wearing your summer tyres down through the winter - and also you're a lot less likely to ruin a tyre by sliding into a kerb.

If you're in any doubt, take a look at this:

There are many similar videos on Youtube from different tyre brands, but this shows what should be a worst case for most cars, rear wheel drive and hills with snow.

Winter tyres are not just for snow however! They will clear more water, and grip better in cold and damp conditions due to having different compounds and tread designs which allow them to actually get up to operating temperature. Your normal summer tyres will not be working as well as they should at the moment, you will notice more wheel-spin or traction control lights coming on as a result - this is in part due to the slippery roads, but also due to the tyres not working so well in these conditions.

Most people will get by, and manage fine, especially if there is no snow - but when the time comes to need to stop or steer round something in an emergency that's when having the right tyres will really pay dividends.

So ends my annual public service announcement - drive safe everybody!

Ben @ Rarerims

Edited by ben@RARE RIMS
  • Like 2

Hmmm, I don't doubt that winter tyres are better in poor conditions but manufacturer adds appear to make you invincible when using them. When the Lexus failed the corner test you could see the drive lit up the inside tyre and it pushed wide. A heavy foot would have done the same with a winter tyre too. I may be completely wrong but both tests looked somewhat manipulated to gain the results that summer tyres should not be used in snow

It's not much of an expense if you keep your cars for a while - as you're not running your summer tyres in the winter, so the cost balances out over the extended life of your summer set. It does cost a bit more, but it doesn't double the cost of your tyres or anything close to it.

While many people 'cope' and 'manage' without changing them, the difference is pretty pronounced and should actual bad weather arrive you'll be prepared :)

There's no hard sell here, just making people aware of the differences and advantages. It wasn't long ago I had a smug customer give me a call to tell me he just passed his neighbour driving out of their road. My customer was in his E61 530D, his neighbour in a nice new RangeRover who had just been telling him the week before how he would be fine with his 22" wheels and high performance summer tyres. This was in actual snow, so an extreme example, but it's just something I try to highlight every year. If one person reads this, and takes the plunge, then relies on them to get them home, or allows them to pull up that bit shorter and save them from a horrible accident, it's worth having gone and posted up on all the forums :)

I dont mean to come across confrontational here either, just trying to give people a heads up of what's out there - as many do not realise they're not just a snow tyre, but just the best tyre for conditions under 7 degrees :)

Most people are fine every year, as harsh winters here are rare for sure - but those based a little further North really feel the benefits. It's law in parts of Germany and pretty well everywhere North of Germany for certain parts of the year you need to have winter tyres fitted.

Edited by ben@RARE RIMS

I've a 370z nismo.

This is my first winter in it, and it's my everyday car/commuter.

Currently have the 245/40R19 and 285/35R19 on.

So, what tyres are best for winter/wet?

Am I better getting a set of rims and a tyre package for the winter?

Recommendations for something less than 1k?

Pref less than £800!

J

The MPAP4 certainly get great reviews but come at a cost.

Mates with Z4s and Porches reckon changing tyres could damage my rims, as could a winter curb.

So they reckon a set of spare rims with winters on best option.

But it doesn't appear that it's easy or cheap to get a set to fit the nismo

So tyres only might be the option?

The MPAP4 certainly get great reviews but come at a cost.

Mates with Z4s and Porches reckon changing tyres could damage my rims, as could a winter curb.

So they reckon a set of spare rims with winters on best option.

But it doesn't appear that it's easy or cheap to get a set to fit the nismo

So tyres only might be the option?

How much are normal 370z rims? Would they look that bad? I had the 350z touring alloys as my winter rims on my 350z but they were cheap. Think I bought them for about £150.

How much are normal 370z rims?

Normal 370 GT Rims sell for around £900-£1100 depending on condition. Might be better off just getting a set of JR's or whatever the new 'Rota' copies are these days :lol:

If the guy swapping your tyres over has potential to damage your wheels then find a new tyre guy! I've used the same place for years and wouldn't trust anywhere else :)

I've a 370z nismo.

This is my first winter in it, and it's my everyday car/commuter.

Currently have the 245/40R19 and 285/35R19 on.

So, what tyres are best for winter/wet?

Am I better getting a set of rims and a tyre package for the winter?

Recommendations for something less than 1k?

Pref less than £800!

J

Hello!

The easiest solution is to get your OE sized tyres fitted to your OE wheels, and just swap them back in March sometime when the weather warms up. This will get well within budget.

The alternative is some winter wheels - 18" would make the whole thing cheaper than going for 19s, but will add the cost of a set of wheels pushing them over your budget assuming you go for wheels which are nice - you could go for some OE 350Z wheels which would be cheap but wouldn't look the best on your 370 I would think.

If you're going for option A and swapping the tyres on the OE wheels, I would suggest talking to your local preferred tyre supplier as they'll be doing the fitting you will get some good will by having them both supply them and fit them - otherwise it's possible they may charge through the nose for the fitting and balancing.

Thanks for advice.

Black circles say my car fitment is 275/35R19 at the back.

But the nismo runs 285.

Does this make a difference? Can I go ahead and get the 275s?

I'd say 285's as nismo wheels more than likely wider than the oem 370z wheels which black circles are more than likely basing results on.