Do you find front wheel drives boring?

Exec

Il throw it out there, over the past week iv driven various hot hatches (not that I wanted to - work related) including the new Ford Focus st-3, Renault Megane RS, New Civic Type R and probably a few others I forgot about.

Every single one I'm not keen on! They're just all a bit boring to drive, a bit predictable? Not to mention iv never found a powerful fwd capable of putting any power down effectively.

I would much rather have any rear wheel drive vehicle regardless of power than a front wheel drive. Four wheel drives on the other hand I can understand.

Anybody else feel this way?

• Like 1

Yes and no. Yes, I have to have a RWD car. But also, no. Try a Mini Cooper S, 2002-05 with supercharger, not turbo. I've had a decent variety of both FWD and RWD cars and hold the mini in very high regard. The car just fizzes, from its quick steering to eager throttle response. Owned one by chance in between a 400hp BMW 335i and the Z, and find myself missing it a great deal, I was really surprised how engaging it was and also how rewarding; I used to use lift off oversteer to rotate into the works parking. lol. You really need to get in one for a while to learn them and appreciate them but yeh, really, special FWD driving experience, imo.

Edited by Aashenfox

You are asking a bunch of owners of V6 rear wheel drive cars if they find FWD cars boring. I suspect you are fishing for a nice collaborative response. To be honest, of course people will. But to be frank, FWD have benefits where RWD do not - and as an owner of an AWD car I could say RWD cars are tail happy, lack traction, dont corner as well and are out and out dangerous ;) but of course it depends what forum I am on.

I have heard Integra Type Rs are fantastic FWD cars, and that you would take a Civic Type R over a GT86 every day. But hey you count car vs car rather that drive type vs otherwise.

Il throw it out there, over the past week iv driven various hot hatches (not that I wanted to - work related) including the new Ford Focus st-3, Renault Megane RS, New Civic Type R and probably a few others I forgot about.

Every single one I'm not keen on! They're just all a bit boring to drive, a bit predictable? Not to mention iv never found a powerful fwd capable of putting any power down effectively.

I would much rather have any rear wheel drive vehicle regardless of power than a front wheel drive. Four wheel drives on the other hand I can understand.

Anybody else feel this way?

yes. but unersterr is so much more pedictable, and easer to push to limits.

driving the jag around at the moment ive had to re-assertain its driving limits. even them the back end can slip and you have to be ready - even in a straight line!

using the missus' fwd drive car, its so much more fun to take a corner at silly speeds and ''see what happens'', as the understeer is very forgivable. and in the wet its easy to find that limit too

To answer your thread title, ...No.

I used to have a 2003 Civic Type R (EP3) which I think was my favourite FWD car that I've owned as imo it had just about the right amount of power to weight ratio to be fun which was coupled with a fantastic handling set up. Definitely wouldn't say that was a boring car and very rewarding when driven hard. ;)

But would I have a FWD over my current 4WD vehicle? Or possibly over a RWD vehicle?

Then probably no again unless it was something really special which I've yet to see. :thumbs:

The Abarth is quite a nippy fwd car - handles like a go-kart and is prone to a bit of torque-steer when you're giving it the beans - that's about the only point your heart-rate will get elevated. Otherwise its as boring as any other car where you can't kick the arse out.

I'd've thought that the traction off the line in a FWD car, would be marginally better than a RWD car due to the weight on the front wheels dishing out the power. But then yes, the cornering. asking the front wheels to do too much is never good.

Are they boring? No, i wouldn't say so. Limited when pushed to the edge compared to RWD cars? Perhaps, but all cars have their foibles. Apart from the Pulsar GTi-R

I'd've thought that the traction off the line in a FWD car, would be marginally better than a RWD car due to the weight on the front wheels dishing out the power. But then yes, the cornering. asking the front wheels to do too much is never good.

no when you accelerate the weight shifts to the back of the car lifting the weight off the front wheels giving less traction.
  • Like 3

Do I find rear wheel drive cars boring?

.......yes........

image_zpsejxcwgfh.jpeg

We only bought it for our friends to drive around Cornwall when they visit.

Of course we always leave it in the Hamlet car park opposite, and not on our drive.......... ðŸ˜

totally agree with coldel on this.

my last car was a FWD Toyota celica ss3 beams .

massive fun and certainly not boring .

would give the zed a run for its money , cornered quicker and safer in any weather , tons of power for a 2.0 na engine and rev range and speed of revs that made you grin like an idiot.

tbh i only got rid to give the V6 RWD itch a scratch but in hindsight i wish i had of kept her as my weekend toy .

dont get me wrong i love the zed ...but with the crappy weather atm it spends weeks in the garage where as the SS3 Beams would be out in all weathers with no scarey moments like the zed can throw at you .

That's what separates good drivers from poor ones. My nan could probably drive as quick as me in an Astra, but she'd be backwards in a hedge in an Elise.

RWD provides a better challenge and a better reward for the more accomplished driver who enjoys feeling a car pushing from the rear, rather than being dragged from the front.

Loved my old B-Reg Toyota Corolla GT hatchback (AE82), light-ish car with 120bhp, was a right laugh grinding the front bumper in corners at speed.(bought car for £1000, spent just over the same on bits, brakes, exhaust, new struts and springs all round, TSW Blades in 15" just before everybody and their dog got them :lol: )

firstcar001.jpg

Edited by BulletMagnet
  • Like 1

That's what separates good drivers from poor ones. My nan could probably drive as quick as me in an Astra, but she'd be backwards in a hedge in an Elise.

RWD provides a better challenge and a better reward for the more accomplished driver who enjoys feeling a car pushing from the rear, rather than being dragged from the front.

I'd love to see your nan deal with lift off oversteer :lol:
  • Like 1

no when you accelerate the weight shifts to the back of the car lifting the weight off the front wheels giving less traction.

i didn't know that. Thanks! :)

After a lot of experience in front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars I think they can be just as fun as each other, just depends on the circumstances.

On the track I'd take a rear wheel drive couple over a hot hatch any day, on the uk road's, I'm having WAY more fun in the focus ST than I ever did in the Z.

In my opinion they both have positives and negatives, but to enjoy a rear wheel drive cars positives you pretty much need to be breaking the law and going sideways etc. Yes drifting is great fun, letting the back end step step out and controlling it is great fun but is it safe to do or legal on the roads? No.