The GTM Supercharged Silver Pheonix

andy james

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics from a very hot Sunday at Shelsley Walsh last Sunday.

It was a round of the HSA and other championships.

Got another second in class but again got duffed up by a Celica GT4.

Really struggling against these light 4x4 Rally cars as again down by nearly a second on launch and through the twisties but through the mid way and finish line speed traps I'm going 20 mph faster.

I'm sure some of it is down to my lack of confidence as the car definitely has a lot more to give.

Video footage to follow.

9289c66ed44fd45c16bdf5dba7088796_zpsmna8pdpe.jpg

f7a121a5d240fc3b913473876b076055_zpsllccsw5b.jpg

212e8af155acd1b1f07cf8265aaa79e8_zpsfatr8usp.jpg

92a230599c02171a9dae40197644aca5_zps2cy8qa96.jpg

0f7a6f268406b565668e5392076a5d40_zps9fae0twi.jpg

• Like 2

Must have been hot day out!

How's the BOV problem going??

It stuck again on the way home from the Bristol breakfast meet the other weekend so I sanded down the brass piston some more and luckily it was fine over the weekend considering the heat.

The unreliability is driving me nuts so another make,or repositioning seems to be the way forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the Shelsley video delay (which is crap quality, go pro on shopping list)but a holiday and a brilliant messy weekend in Coventry distracted me!

looking forward to gaining new skills at CAT Millbrook on Wednesday.

Also  want to say a big "B0--0X to you" Photobucket for wiping out over 5 years of images of my hard work! IMG_1592.thumb.JPG.179c3d1215631a731f495c3ad83e5161.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

• Like 4

On 17/07/2017 at 22:13, andy james said:

Sorry for the Shelsley video delay (which is crap quality, go pro on shopping list)but a holiday and a brilliant messy weekend in Coventry distracted me!

looking forward to gaining new skills at CAT Millbrook on Wednesday.

Also  want to say a big "B0--0X to you" Photobucket for wiping out over 5 years of images of my hard work! IMG_1592.thumb.JPG.179c3d1215631a731f495c3ad83e5161.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

Great to see the silver phoenix in action. Sounds like a fantastic day lined up at CAT training, hoping to get there myself at some point in the not too distant future! :#1:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It has been a quiet and hectic month without going to too much detail.

The Pheonix has two events coming up.

Gurston Down Hillclimb this weekend.A championship event on Sat and Sun. Looking forward to growing a pair and putting my new found skills learnt at the Cat driver day into practice! Lol

Next up is The Brighton Speed Trials. This event which I have attended for many years has always been an incredible day out out for spectators watching the various types of cars blast along the promenade for the 1/4 mile drag. 

Got my conformation of entry today and as you can see from the list this even is now attracting some quite seriously fast,exclusive and expensive Cars ! 

Looks like the Datsun is under pressure. 

If you live local and have the time pop over For a chat and a bacon sarnie.

IMG_0346.PNG

IMG_0348.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Wasso said:

That does look like an nice day out even if not competing. Good show on your position Andy considering the competition.

Thanks Ian.

just shows how fast cars have become compared to my icons of the past.

i know I can't compete against 750bhp GTRs, Mclarens or single seaters on slicks but still chuffed to beat a F40 Ferrari, Porsche 993 turbo and a flat nose turbo S.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy james said:

Thanks Ian.

just shows how fast cars have become compared to my icons of the past.

i know I can't compete against 750bhp GTRs, Mclarens or single seaters on slicks but still chuffed to beat a F40 Ferrari, Porsche 993 turbo and a flat nose turbo S.

You went blow for blow with the A45 AMG as well, after all the praises everyones been singing about that car the owner must have been sweating a bit that a 10+ year old RWD roadster matched his AWD super tech hatchback xD. 

Also obligatory im jealous of your car comment xD.

• 1 month later...

After yet another diverse and enjoyable season of shows,sprints,HillClimbs and track days the long winter of deliberation is looming. 

Ive come to the conclusion that our beloved Zed cars are getting a bit long in the tooth now and the new era of small engine 4x4 turbo cars have moved the game on regarding launch and gearbox technology in such a way that big power does not necessarily mean fast.

How do I justify spending any more money on a 10 year old car rather than moving on?

The answer is simple.

The car has gripped me like no other.

The Pheonix and I have come a long way together.

This Forum is the best and friendliest out there.

Not sure how long a large engine rear wheel drive manual  car will be available.

So call the men in the white coats as this is my plan.

1. Full interior makeover.

2. Arbs, gearbox mount.

3. Ohlins shocks.

4. New seats ordered.

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

• Like 2

Credit to you Andy for sticking with the 350 - the mods you have done and continue to do have made your ZED arguably one of the best around, IMHO.

Dread to think what it has all cost (not including the 'rebuild') but admire your dedication both with the ongoing changes and prepared to use the car in serious competition.

:clap:

• Like 1

Haha yet again you indirectly convince me to part with my hard earned cash Andy.  I'd love mine to be half the car the Phoenix is!

Glad to know she has such loving owner and enjoy it every time I get to see her in shows or on track.

Edited by Flashback
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, andy james said:

Thanks guys for the encouraging words. This ongoing passion for the Zed doesn't make financial sense but I'm loving it!

You are mad! 

Bit I totally understand :lol:

Good work can't wait to see what you do with the inside 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to fully refurb the 5Zigen wheels.

i bought them a few years ago in exceptional condition but after scuffing the two nearside ones on the Euro tunnel and a few seasons of shows they were looking tired.

Very impressed with finish as I know Smoked Chrome is very difficult to produce.

IMG_1201.JPG

• Like 3