The Grand Tour

StevoD

I watched the TG Burma special yesterday and it made me feel sad. It is far from the best TG special, but it just seemed natural and unscripted (Even though it definitely was). It is leagues ahead of TGT though in terms of my enjoyment.

Episode 3 was a lot better than the other 2, but I will never watch them again as I do old Top Gears. It seems like they are trying to play characters - Hammond in the latest was so unnatural it was cringe-worthy. It's like they are aiming for a completely different demographic... which is OK, things change, but I'd like to think that they could also include something for people that have liked watching them for the past 10+ years. The new show is devoid of the intelligence and subtlety that you sometimes got with TG and this glaringly contrasts with the high production quality.

Maybe it will get better whenever the BBC clause ends that clearly prevents them from making a show as good as like Top Gear... I live in hope...

I admit I liked watching the specials, a few were a bit crap like the source of the Nile etc. but due to the nature of them i.e. you cannot account for all eventualities so spontaneous stuff will happen makes them so much more watchable than them pretending to ad-lib when we all know its highly scripted poorly acted.

Meh, episode three was better than two (which was a complete crock...).

Still undecided to be honest, the scripting is not up to the standard they are capable of. They seem less 'natural' or 'comfortable' than they used to be. Almost as if they are bring over directed or produced.

Obviously TG had a lot of great writing, which took some time to develop. I hope this new GT show won't take too much longer to gel together.

To be fair I was bored of the old Top Gear as it was getting a little staid, regardless of what they try on TGT I doubt very much I will find it entertaining. I just don't find them funny anymore. Had Clarkson and Co stayed with the BBC I would still feel the same.

I watch car programmes for the cars not the presenters.

Ep4 was okay, definitely better than 1 and 2, but still got a lot of rubbish that needs sorting.

Still don't get the point of the celeb bit. It's just a painful, unfunny waste of 5 mins.

Worked out what "The American" is reminding me of:

Review of the GT3 RS with M4 GTS was great, rest I could easily give a miss. tbf I did always like fifth gear as its a car show more so than entertainment for the masses

Which is why the Chris Harris section of new Top Gear are really good. It's entertaining AND about cars.

Some great content in some episodes, but if I'm honest, it's just a bit boring.

Used to enjoy the road trips, where they would actually spend time comparing the cars, whilst having a laugh and taking the ****.

Equally, I used to enjoy the road trips where they would go to countries or locations. Where I would think, "Wow, Romania looks really interesting..." or "Vietnam looks bonkers!...".

And then I would think, I should find out more about that place, or I really want to go there, how do I do that?

It was when TG just became them cocking around with cliche's, all the time, that I got bored. The Grand Tour has started, for me, with exactly that feel.

Where are the great road trips through the amalfi, in dodgy 80's 'also-ran' hot hatches? Where are the epic long haul challenges across Mongolia, in a cheap 7 series, XJ and a Volvo 960? What about tackling the Canadian rockies in an 90's Renault Espace, a Mazda Bongo and a Seat Alhambra?

I want to see something that wows us with the new, celebrates the old and occasionally 'plants a seed' that makes me thing 'I should / could do that...'

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Sat and watched one yesterday over at my brothers, he likes the three of them but in the end he switched off the episode we were watching as it was so slow paced and just boring (one with them in Italy in Dodge, RR and Aston) even he said it was pretty boring so we gave up after 35 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I got Prime on a free trial as I ordered some crimbo presents, have to say this really is utter crap, how un-engaging can it be. Although again, I don't see national press coverage slagging it off asking for the presenter to be sacked despite how they have created a very poor programme using a ridiculous amount of money.

Yes saw that, a very reserved bit of journalism, no one asking for them to get the chop, no one really shouting 'disgust' just stating some facts. Never going to make front page news, not like the press when they desperately wanted new TG to fail so they could rip into CE and make a full story out of it. Given that those three have slated various nationalities, racism and all sorts in the past can't see anything coming of this? Can you?