Any one have a Stillen S/C Set-up?

taybo

Thinking of going FI on by Rev-up 350z and was wondered if any UK zedders have the Stillen system?

I know these are not so popular but I tried a Vortec zed and found the boost comes too far up the revs for what I'm looking for. Would be great to see one for myself before deciding on which direction to take.

Best sounding one going, sadly not so good for power and install

You don't get anywhere near the power of a Vortech and it doesn't fit under the bonnet so you will need to buy the cowl or bonnet or cut a hole in the bonnet, Vortech is the one to go for

Hi Chris - yes I did email you a few weeks ago. As above the Vortec is not what I'm looking for as got to test drive one. The boost didn't kick in to close to 5000rpm! Need something with a boost at low to mid revs but would like to try before I buy! Plus it sounds great from the YT vids I have looked at. I have a grinder so I'm happy to cut up that lovely Seibon CF bonnet you sold me ;-)

Edited by taybo

Low boost and supercharger don't go together. Supercharger is close to NA in terms of power delivery. If you want grunt from low rpm than turbo is way to go. But again lot of torque from basement is only good for wheel spin

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Low boost and supercharger don't go together. Supercharger is close to NA in terms of power delivery. If you want grunt from low rpm than turbo is way to go. But again lot of torque from basement is only good for wheel spin

Low boost and supercharger DO go together , the Stillen kit on the 370z only gives around 8psi at max rpm, up to about 5000rpm its barely making 5 psi

• Like 1

Low boost and supercharger DO go together , the Stillen kit on the 370z only gives around 8psi at max rpm, up to about 5000rpm its barely making 5 psi

I might have typed my sentence wrong I didn't ment on low boost but torque on low rpm. Hard to expect from SC big grunt of torque from bottom

• 4 weeks later...

I was very interested in the Stillen when I first got into 350's, for the whine, lol, but after some research it was pretty clear they dont even come close to Vortech In terms of overall performance. I ended up with a V3 and have to say my experience couldnt have been any different to what your describing, loads of torque from low down and good power across the revs. If you want to change where it makes full boost, change the pulley size, but then you wont get as much output, any particular reason why you want full boost in low/mid?

Edited by Jetpilot

Are we not talking about the stillen twin screw supercharger for the 350?

Yes the Stillen roots charger for the 350 DE. Not the Stillen/Vortec one for the HR or 370.

The one above in the YT video is the first evidence of one in the UK I've seen!

Edited by taybo

any particular reason why you want full boost in low/mid?

The V3 350 I tried was such a late boost (5000rpm). Just didn't seem beneficial for road use and I'm not intending to track my car. Don't need full boost low/mid (potential to damage engine) but some would be good. Just want to compare the two systems at this stage. Plus I do love the Stillen whine too ;-)

I must admit i didnt think my v3 lacked any grunt low to mid rpms, it pulled like a train really. Pretty sure from memory of my dyno graph, it was making 250 ft lbs (which isnt much less than peak on a na 350) at just over 2k prm and just over 350 ft lbs at 7k prm, you arent going to get a much flater torque curve than that, if you worried about hp/boost just change the pulley size, i really cant see the Stillen is going to offer anything better.

I seem to remember the hks supercharger offering more torque, but no idea where in the rev range.

Found it, dont think that looks half bad to me ;)

V3%20350%203_zps0ctcmo3v.jpg

Edited by Jetpilot

This is the best dyno on the (above) Stillen SC 350 I could find online. Torque is pretty steady at approx. 300 lbft. As you can see the BPH is low and only at 7psi. Apparently once he put HFC (instead of race pipes) and an Uprev tune it was running at 400BHP (8.5psi at pulley)

a483dded_zpslnb4ukvf.jpg

Apart from 500 prm between 3k and 3.5k where the v3 looses maybe 25flt tops, the v3 is the same and better after 3k.

I am afraid i would be very dubious that adding hfc's over decats would gain him 60hp, if anything it should be the other way round, it must have been mapped to give 338hp

Edited by Jetpilot

• 2 months later...

Hey, im a little late to this thread i guess. I have a Stillen stage 4 S/C in my 350.

There are far too many threads all over the net crying about this S/C or the other and in most case apples are being compared with bananas and vice versa.

Choice of supercharger will depend on a huge number of personal preference or personal situation elements (price, self fitting ability, install price, sound, upgradability, etc) and comparisons can be irrelevant depending on those personal preferences, and on support mods, the actual map, the driving style etc etc /insert endless list here.

I drove 2 vortech S/C 350s before the Stillen i have now, before looking at any printouts of claimed figures and without consider who had mapped each and to which instructions/ability/preference and without considering supporting mods (or actually, compatible mods - since not all mods help) i have to say that power wise they didnt FEEL much different. One of the Vortechs seems to add the power a bit later up the revs, but otherwise they 'felt' comparable. Personally i would vote one against the other if it were mebuying one now today.

The huge difference in the 2 kits however is the sound of the Stillen!! and that, is one of preferences :-)

^^^ I currently have a twin scroll on my vx220 and love the sound and that was only downside to the v3 on my 350z, however, i would happily sacrifice the sound for 50 bhp or so more the vortechs give, its universally acknowledged the stillens are low on power compared to vortechs, supporting mods and mapping taken into consideration, no one is crying about it, its just factual.

Edited by Jetpilot

^^^ I currently have a twin scroll on my vx220 and love the sound and that was only downside to the v3 on my 350z, however, i would happily sacrifice the sound for 50 bhp or so more the vortechs give, its universally acknowledged the stillens are low on power compared to vortechs, supporting mods and mapping taken into consideration, no one is crying about it, its just factual.

Yeah, i agree that power wise the Vortech can produce more. I guess i was trying to answer the OP original question by introducing more questions on personal preferences, available funds, aim, use etc :-). For example id personally rather have the sound than the 50hp (in the case of my 350 because of what i have it for).