May be time to get a Jag...

gangzoom

Jag have just announced their Battery EV SUV, due in less than 18 months time, 400bhp, 220miles of range, full 5 seater, smaller than F-Pace.

I_Pace_Jaguar_015-L.jpg

I excepted something good from Jag but not so soon or so attractive (18 month to delivery??). According to piston

heads, price 10-15% above equivalent F-pace. The closest F-pace with similar performance is £53K before options, so say £63K with a few options, and on 10-15% your looking at £70K mark, its a whole wedge of money but bang on what the Model X costs.

Bugger...Maybe I jumped the gun with the Model X order, really really want one of these over any Tesla. Really tempted now to cancel the Tesla order - take the £2K hit, get a cheap used Leaf/Zoe/i3 to bridge the 12 months gap before the i-Pace hit production. wub.gif

Jaguar I-Pace heralds electric future | PistonHeads

Reading about Tesla of late i'm not sure I would be buying one, they are not in a great position financially and the markets seems to be consistently betting against them, whether there is a long term business model there or not I'm not sure, this whole dropping of the lifetime supercharger access doesn't bode well on an expansion of the network.

I certainly would think twice about buying a brand new model , i much prefer to leave it a while to allow the bugs to be ironed out and sadly Jag isnt what it once was either

Good to see other manufacturers taking the leap though

As above, its great you are looking to be one of those innovators in new tech in this industry but personally wouldn't throw good money at something that is so new, still lacks charging infrastructure and no government support for a bigger roll out.

Definitely need to set up a jag section in here somewhere :blush::lol:

Was all set to get a XJ supersport before I got infested by the EV bug and ended up in a Leaf!!

Got to have a Jag on the driveway at some point, the i-pace looks stunning and a serious rival to Tesla, unlike the Audi e-Tron which looks just like a Q7.

Put my name down already as potential buyer but their website state late 2018 delivery so will go ahead with the Tesla, but will be keeping a very close eye on what the final production car lools like.

Great to see Jag come up with a compelling EV in a relative short timeframe:).

• 3 months later...

Hmmm have to say I am with Dan on this, looks a bit Hyundai if you ask me. Even companies like Jag who make aggressive fearsome cars still conform to the dull uninspired look that all EV seem to have to be styled as.

Looks Korean.

And I don't mean in a good way.

Just like how the 911 still looks like a squashed Bettle after all these years, honesty you would think Porsche designers could at least try to not just use the copy/paste button in the design studio ;)

But subjective looks aside the specs are sensible enough to make 2018 production/launch look realistic.

90kWh battery

Dual motor

Heat pump

Seating for full five adults

Rapid charger on board

Providing Jag can keep the price not too far north of £60k they are on to a winner.

Personally I'm more tempted to down a preorder on the iPace than the Model 3.

Edited by gangzoom

I wonder how feasible it would be to have solar PV on the roof instead/as well as the panoramic glass

Solar PVs simply wouldn't generate enough kWh to make it worth while. The efficiency/cost balance isnt quite there yet.

A reasonable size roof solar PV system will generate 4kw per hr in perfect situation at a cost of roughly £3-5k for the panels. Most EVs can average 3-4 miles per kWh, so your gain 10 mile per hour charge in perfect conditions once efficiency loss accounted for.

Your have to do something like this :)

Overland-Truck-Car-Roof-Top-Tent-with-Awning-House.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

That interests me about this much -----> <----- Why, besides your kids safety, why people buy big high rise things SUVs, etc I've no idea (unless your using it for a farm, but I doubt 20inch wheels help there). I hate being up high, I like low slung, feels more secure, anytime I try SUV's etc I just feel like I'm in a big bus no matter how luxurious it is. BUY A BLOODY CAR... lol Wee rant there. Oh and on the new Jag thread I would like to show my appreciation for a 5.0 XKR, any discounts my friend, send em' my way and I'll visit... :lol:B)

EDIT - Didn't even notice I've already posted my hate for this vehicle on the thread further up.. :lol: :lol:

Edited by AMT

^Space, comfort, not getting blinded by everyone else's headlights, tower over other road users and command more authority - make you seem tougher when you're pushing your weight around on the road

Edited by Strudul

Sports cars can be comfy... ish. I never look at someone in an SUV and think...there lordin' it over me, I'm the one that could leave it at will... unless its some form of Porsche turbo thing, then it'd kill me.. with its ugliness lol Nah I hate SUVs and will never see the point, they are a tool for carrying passengers and winter driving. (but this is my opinion etc etc etc :lol: )

Not saying I agree with it or would ever want to join them, but AFAIK those are the main reasons. Some people just don't like driving :shrug:

You may not be intimidated, but they feel intimidating, which is enough for them. To be honest though, if a huge SUV tries to push in, you're gonna back off. No two ways about it, you are gonna come up worse off.

Can only improve how it looks :bleh:

It's just a case of mind games. In an SUV they feel more powerful and think it gives them a free ticket to push in etc. They want this, and they may not think they can do it in a car with less presence.

That interests me about this much -----> <----- Why, besides your kids safety, why people buy big high rise things SUVs, etc I've no idea (unless your using it for a farm, but I doubt 20inch wheels help there). I hate being up high, I like low slung, feels more secure, anytime I try SUV's etc I just feel like I'm in a big bus no matter how luxurious it is. BUY A BLOODY CAR... lol Wee rant there. Oh and on the new Jag thread I would like to show my appreciation for a 5.0 XKR, any discounts my friend, send em' my way and I'll visit... :lol:B)

EDIT - Didn't even notice I've already posted my hate for this vehicle on the thread further up.. :lol: :lol:

But by SUV standards the iPace is 'compact', Jag quoting roughly 1.8 meter width 4.7 length. That's basically the same size as a F30 3 series.

The Model X is 2.1 meters by 5!!....It's big but the New Range Rover Discovery is virtually the same size, as is the X90, X5 and even Ford Edge.

Like it or not these cars are selling more much better than any 'sports car'. Porsche sold 220k cars in 2015/16, only 30ksh were 911s, the Macan/Cayenne sold 160k in total (70% of cars sold). This makes SUVs sales more important to Porsche than 'sports' car, like it or not this is what the mass market wants at present.

Edited by gangzoom

like it or not this is what the mass market wants at present.

Great, but we are not members of a mass market suv forum, or an electric car forum, something that keeps eluding you, we are here for our passion of cars AND our enjoyment of driving them, none of which you seem to share, we are in the right place......are you?