Toyota GT86

Superman001

The GT86 needs a 2JZ, should have come with one. That's it. /thread. If you can afford the swap, get one, if not, there are better cars.

Zs are tail happy if you add grip to the front.

Best car you can get that fits your description, fun but can squeeze the kids in, just get a 911 and be done with it.

A 911 for 25k with no more than 50k miles is going to be 10 years old with higher fuel costs, higher, tax, insurance and massive maintenance bills.

• Like 1

The GT86 needs a 2JZ, should have come with one. That's it. /thread. If you can afford the swap, get one, if not, there are better cars.

Best car you can get that fits your description, fun but can squeeze the kids in, just get a 911 and be done with it.

Lol it needs a 2JZ? Even with standard power the car is a blast, not every car needs big power to be fun.

• Like 2

A 911 for 25k with no more than 50k miles is going to be 10 years old with higher fuel costs, higher, tax, insurance and massive maintenance bills.

I can't beleive you can get them for 25k over there, you're so lucky. Not a single 911 worth touching in Greece for less than 35k and for that money it would have 200k miles. :( A good one will set you back 50k.

Maintenance on a 911 isn't that bad I'm told, but hey, just putting the best out there.

As for the gt86 not needing power, sure, if you plan on roling on those two pence pieces that the car comes with, it's a blast. lol. It was a huge missed opportunity and I'm stunned any car lover would refute that. At least they could have given that 2l lump a small turbo and proper size rims and tires, if they had it would have been so much better. As it stands, a GT86 needs at least 5 grand in the engine for a turbo or SC, at least 2 grand in wheels and tires, and another in brakes, to do what should have been done at the factory. The stock car has a terrible identity crisis.

Edited by Aashenfox

Aren't global MX5 sales enough to confirm that a sporty little number needs neither the tyres nor 300bhp to be an enjoyable driver's car? Even though it's cool to write the Toybarus off as underpowered.

Not my words Carol, they're the words of Top Gear magazine!

Depends what you're used to I suppose. It's notoriously difficult to take a downgrade in power and still be satisfied, and I've been messing with high power to weight ratio cars for too long to go back to NA 4 pots. The S2000 (one of my favourite and one of the greatest cars ever) needs more power as well, in mine and many others' opinion.

This thread is about the GT86, and my comment is that it isn't a very quick car, if you're used to fast cars, try it first cos you might be disappointed, I was. I wouldn't be satisfied with an MX5 either, despite being a great drivers car if you can't afford something faster. Give it 300hp and it's another matter, and the same goes for the 86.

Edited by Aashenfox

The GT86 is an interesting car, it follows in the same vein I think as the idea behind the gen 7 Celica (which I wouldnt buy either!) with some idea that handling is more important. I think another problem with the GT86 which hasnt been mentioned and like the gen 7 Celica, is that it has been styled to look much faster than it actually is. If it looked like a warm hatch then no one would complain and probably more people might buy it, but its been styled to look like a performance car and in terms of outright performance it is down the pecking order unfortunately.

People always seem to ask me if the 350z was tail happy and have this impression that they are.

Errr ......... they are? See many , many threads on here about the evil that will occur if you turn the traction control off for evidence :o

Never found mine to be massively tail happy.

Turn the TC off for a week, come back and tell us how you got on. One of the easiest cars Ive driven to provoke controllable oversteer in, easier than "drift legends" AE86 and 200SX for instance.

I had a GT86 for a day, took it on track and played with it on a skid pan. Interior was by far much nicer than my 350, but then that's over 12 years old now. Very easy to drive (from 350 owner). Weight/balance ratio pretty much spot on. Turned off all the 'helpful buttons' and was able to slide it around nicely. Not sure I even noticed rear seats?! But lovely, all-round car. Power was mildly irritating! Would I buy one? Not right now, was more than happy to jump back into my 350. They do look nice when you drive past them though.