Ridiculous price on HKS exhaust copies (aka Japspeed K4)

Aashenfox

I just bought the classic HKS rep exhaust from the US of A from K2 motor for the princely sum of 189 quid. Delivery was steep naturally, and of course there will be import duty. For me this is going to work out that I paid about 350GBP for the exhaust all told. You UK folks should clean up for even less.

Of course it's not going to be perfect for that price, but the reviews on the product are universally good. In rust-free Greece I doubt I'll have a problem with it. Ever.

Just thought I'd share...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301952892888

• Like 1

Good price for a replica.

I still dont understand why none of the UK manufacturers produced a dual exit style system, they were all traditional backbox designs. Cobra, Scorpion, Miltek. None of them really offer anything that the other doesnt.

You get what you pay for. I got my Japspeed K4 from UK ebay.

When it comes it nice and shiney. Fitment is not perfect bit it can manage. But after a let say a year of time you will get idea why it cost 350 GBP.

I had it on my NA vq35de with Invida decats. Car was custom tuned. Already before a year of owning it, rear mufflers had to be opened and welded due to ratling noise which was caused by deterioration of material inside. It lasted bit more and again same problem. Quality of stainless steel used in it is very poor.

If you are after a exhaust system which is loud and cheap than is good choice. But on long run if will cost you more than if you go with something like Invidia Gemini

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

The Japspeed on my Celica has been on there since 2009 and is still immaculate. For the gen 6 Celica group you are much more restricted in whats on offer, HKS, Blitz, Japspeed and thats about your lot. A guy cut open a Japspeed exhaust and found for the money its great value, the bends were good, the interior flow no worse than the more expensive systems. There will always be an association around them, they are loud and low price therefore must be rubbish, however lots of older Celica's running them fine for years. In terms of fitment they almost never fit, but again when he cut one up found that you only had to reduce the mid pipe length by about 3-4 inches and the whole thing fitted perfect.

I can picture up mine as I haven't trash it yet. Car was driven in salt free area so you will get idea how it looks after a year and half of use and looks for good for waste. Plus it was already repaired. Maybe they changed quality since 2009 as my was bought in 2014

Edited by Snjur

I think its hit and miss, have heard good and bad. Its also known in gen 6 celica circles that the expensive Blitz nur spec exhausts do snap regularly, throwing good money at stuff doesn't always necessarily mean its bullet proof.

I think its hit and miss, have heard good and bad. Its also known in gen 6 celica circles that the expensive Blitz nur spec exhausts do snap regularly, throwing good money at stuff doesn't always necessarily mean its bullet proof.

Sure I agree on that as well. I have witnessed original Invidia Gemini after 4 or 5 years of use on FI 350Z and it looks grate. Owner says even sound hasn't changed a lot.

Which was a case when I need exhaust so I decided to stretch my budget a bit and made a quality custom made exhaust rather than change exhaust every year and half what I had experience with cheaper ones.

Edited by Snjur

I've had mine a year and its fine no rattles no rust ...... i don't get where the bad rep comes from ....... now i paid a bit more direct from Japspeed but not that much extra plus you can comfortably buy like nearly 3 for the price of on gemini so i just can't justify it.

I think there are brands called things like 'infinity' on ebay that replicate japspeed stuff and it could be that those are really poor quality and break, which owners then associate with Japspeed.

Dont get me wrong, Japspeed doesnt do premium high end exhausts, but shouldn't dismiss outright without any ownership experience or understanding of the build quality

I guess I should qualify that I have no proof that this is the same exhaust as the Japspeed K4. After all this is made by D-Spec (well known 'cheap chinese parts' brand, in the US (like Japspeed in the UK I guess). But let's face it, it probably is the exact same thing, and if it isn't it's from the same templates, no doubt, so really, what's the difference... :)

About welding there's a certain school of thought that says welding in China is often better than in other more 'respected' countries. Why? Because they make so damn many of everything they make, they have had more practice. Food for thought. I will certainly be posting detailed installation, short term and long term reviews in due course.

You get what you pay for. I got my Japspeed K4 from UK ebay.

If you are after a exhaust system which is loud and cheap than is good choice. But on long run if will cost you more than if you go with something like Invidia Gemini

Invidia not the best example, made in China by the same factories making the knock offs (no I can't prove it, they keep where they're manufactured very close to their chests, probably for this reason!), hence the 30% lower than premium pricing of their stuff, it makes sense. Sure, they're 'slightly' better built with 'slightly' better quality control, but I just paid less than 1/5th the price of a gemini. Invidia quality is definitely not 5 times better. Plus, there are plenty of tradesmen that will repair your 200 quid exhaust for 50-100 quid if a weld cracks. Let's say you do this every 2 years, after 10 years, you have still paid a LOT less than the 'premium' parts.

You just have to question whether you believe that the R&D that went into a product justifies the insane price differences, now that you know how much the Arc Dual costs to manufacture (about 200 quid tops), how do you feel about paying eight to nine times that for one over the counter? The 'premium' brands are ripping you off 7 ways from sunday, car parts that sell in volume such as exhausts on popular cars like ours, should be much, much cheaper, and more people should vote with their wallets. Yes, I'm going to have less problems because I'm in Greece (just like the southern US states who have never had any issues with D-Spec stuff, because their cars simply don't rust), but that doesn't change the fact that you are getting ripped off hard by the premium brands.

Do I buy premium brands where it counts? Of course I do. An exhaust is not really a 'where it counts' item, imo, it's a metal tube. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't fundamentally disagree with you, if the Gemini was about half the price (still more than double the one I bought), I would probably have bought it, but when this tried and tested product is available for that price, there is no reason to line the pockets of these greedy 'JDM' corporations for their fancy metal tubes. :)

Edit: Guess I should also mention for the record, I'm not a serial cheapskate...I tried 'the best', paid 1600 quid for a J's Racing full titanium single on my s2000. Sure I didn't need the weight benefits and therefore never realised them, but still, that is one EXPENSIVE metal tube....Since then, I've said; never again paying a grand for a glorified drinking straw. :D

Edited by Aashenfox

I Have a Japspeed rep HKS duel on mine from Toyo (ebay) Paid 220 for cat back and 90 for de-cats. Its bloody awsome for that rediculas cost. Been on for 2 and a bit years. issues.......nope. quality........up there with anything else Ive had.

Most of the items are made overseas in China. Again depends what you say quality control and materials.

I'm talking from my experience with K4 Jaspeed. For most of people is imortant is ridiculous loud and cheap. OK for that. I have a twin turbo set up and simple I won't risk any issues over items that can in end cost me double. Before going twin turbo exhaust was down and flexible joints where already worn out. They as well should be replaced. So original price I payed was I don't remember I think 550 euros, first repair cost was 70 euros, again flexible parts if I was going to repair would be 100 to 150 euros. This is already 770 euros in total.

Repair shop told me as well next time there is nothing more to repair inside car back as it is completely burned out and is not worth money labour.

For 1000 euros I got custom made Invidia Gemini replica of perfect fitment, excellent quality build and 3 years warranty.

Mine didn't have cracks on outside but X pipe joint splited and was welded plus rear muffler cat back was deteriorating from inside. And this was on NA car. Left side one.

Buddy's Invidia has 4 or 5 years in FI car where temperatures are a lot bigger than on NA.

As far as price/quality I think Invidia is best buy. I reckon if Akrapovic was making exhaust for 350z I wouldn't be less than 3500 euros. While Invidia depends of place and if sales you can get for 1000 euros

Edited by Snjur

Anyway since it is for waste I can even open the mufflers and picture it after 1.5 or max 2 years of use.

Again it is still usable exhaust but... Flexible parts are due to change and is asking repairs

I think it's the same system as the exhaust we fitted on my car this year. Sounds really awesome with the dual pipes, but fitting it underneath the car is a pain in the ass. It's a USA system and therefor used for Z's with the smaller non LSD diff. We needed to cut my exhaust on three places and welded it back together.

I wanted the car to be a bit more extreme and fitted the Invidia Testpipes I got. It destroyed the middle demper and it's just way to loud sounding like @*!#. I'm going to ditch the testpipes again this winter and need to fix the middle box.

Don't get me wrong, I don't fundamentally disagree with you, if the Gemini was about half the price (still more than double the one I bought), I would probably have bought it, but when this tried and tested product is available for that price, there is no reason to line the pockets of these greedy 'JDM' corporations for their fancy metal tubes. :)

I couldn't agree more man. "JDM" is an excuse to charge a fortune..its nearly as bad as drift tax.... and id have paid a bit more to get an ARC or the Gemini but they are both silly money. i really think there is this culture around these cars that stems from there price when they were new that makes manafactuers charge OTT for parts and its frustrating. These cars aren't often for sale for more than 8/9k yet people still can expect to pay nearly a quarter of that for an ARC Grip....... MADNESS!! Even the £1000 for the gemini... on a car that isn't worth it (economically).

When i fitted mine it was actually cheaper to buy the Japspeed than it would have been to buy brand new nissan parts. (£450ish) i paid about £390

I will say my car is one of the early ones an 04 plate so mine certainly isn't worth 8k but still..... if its worth half that its even more crazy to think about spending £1000 for an exhaust system.........

Toyo, Japspeed, Megan Racing etc etc are all 1/3 the price of an Invidia or Ark, but won't last half as long or sound anywhere near as good. I've recently just removed the Toyosports that came on my car for a much much more expensive exhaust and it's the best thing I could have done. There's build quality and also sound quality, no one wants to listen to a droney toneless exhaust.

• Like 1

Whatever, I said in the OP not to expect perfection for that price, again I don't disagree with what you're saying. I just figured I'd share a great price on what seems on the face of it, a decent product, I'm not here to defend it, I haven't even seen it in person yet, but I will call 'ripoff' on the top brands.

SNJur, I had an Akrapovic on my 335, previous owner paid 3 grand for it, that was the single most rip off pipe in history. The straight 6 N54 isn't the best sounding engine in the world, but the Akrapovic didn't help much either. I don't understand at all how akrapovic can justify their prices, unless they admit they are simply hiking them so that the typical people who buy them can **** in the pub about how much they spent on their midlife crisis 911s and BMWs and how 3 grand ain't @*!# to them. Catering to a demographic, that is called, and it's what the fashion industry is all about. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox

As for Akrapovic I agree. Since I'm from Croatia and Slovenia and Akrapovic is our neighbor I remember the days when he was just a small production in garage under name of Scorpion. How he manage to launch it self out of space I have no clue. Latest X6M fellow I know payed on discount since it was first ever mounted exhaust on X6M 8000 euros. On discount!! Full price was near 11 000 euros. Ridiculous

Edited by Snjur

M tax :(

No idea why people pay that sort of money for an exhaust, regardless of value of the car. No exhaust is worth that much.

I have no idea... It that kind of thing where money is no issue.

Even here in Croatia we a guy named Milletech has a FB page as well.

https://www.facebook.com/Milletechnology/

Awsome production, materials and so. But price I dare to say like Akrapovic. And than people ask me when I was doing my exhaust why I haven't done it at Mille. Simply I can't justify that amount of money for exhaust.

This custom made replica in terms of price/quality/warranty was best value for money.

Yes Akrapovic or Mille would have fancy name tag but still....