Dash cam questions

gstraw

Hey I'm looking to get a dash cam.

First thing is that there are not many that are dual camera like front and back. My concern is that someone hits my car and drives off so I kinda want front and back.

Any recommendations apart from the road angel since it's so expensive.

Also How can you wire it so that it keeps recording when the car is parked? I hear some cameras have an ability to monitor the battery voltage and if it falls below a certain value it switches off.

Also for front only what dash cam do people recommend? I heard the Goluk T1 is meant to be decent.

Oh and should I pay someone £50 to install it or DIY

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackvue with power magic pro covers what you need.

https://www.blackvue.com

It has front and rear cameras with the rear camera being infrared for heater night time viewing.

The power magic pro cuts off the day am if your battery gets to a certain voltage.

The app had loads of settings. You can set it to carry on recording for a set time after driving and also have it come on whilst parked if it detects motion either as movement in front of the camera and or by movement of the vehicle.

Its about £450 for a 2 channel set up, with the power magic pro and install.

It pays for itself you catch one person.

Edited by Randy_Baton

£280 plus a power magic pro and install will run to about £450 as RB said

I've just put a DR650 single channel in my Jag apart from wi-fi its pretty much the same as earlier models

The blackvues have great software and gps but the quality is about the same as the humble G1W

Wow the Blackvue ones are so expensive lol

I just ordered a Goluk T1 since I got good reviews from an installer. It's £90 from Amazon.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Is there anything special I need to do to wire it to the battery but ensure that it doesn't drain the battery? Like should it be connected to a fuse in particular

So I'd like to have it recording all the time unless my battery goes low. It's more for any hit and runs TBH. So I think I need to get another voltage cut off cable which cuts off power to the cam if the battery gets below a certain value.

Anyone have any recommendations and can I connect it to anywhere in the car that is effectively the battery rather than trying to get a cable through a Groningen to connect directly onto the battery?

Sorry for the silly questions

I am sure if you broke open a lot of these high end cameras you would find the same hardware in there. Agreed you are paying for a nicer 'packaging' in most cases and some better software, but ultimately you want it to video something for you which in its basic form can be gotten for £20, anything else on top is extras you can choose to pay for.

But again, its how far you want to go, I can zoom in and read number plates and all manner of details on the footage mine collects. No different to high value models - I think you are literally paying for some software advantages, the clarity of video though is on par, which is what is most important for me.

• Like 1

Cheaper cameras dont tend to have GPS and that does add significant functionality, and whilst the Blackvues are expensive they are one of the most discreet options, have excellent software and come with features like auto parking mode, shock sensors, gps and connectivity options which allow immediate download to a mobile device/upload to the cloud so they are good value for money

However as I said earlier if all you need is a basic dashcam then the G1W is hard to beat

Dashcam with GPS (turned on ie speed display) with clould uploading.................... i couldnt think of a better way to screw one self LOL

If thats really a concern you might want to reconsider your driving