Moved house - 15 miles - insurers want an extra £2000 HELP!!

Mikevv

Hi guys, I moved house about a week ago and have got most things sorted regarding paperwork. Time to do car insurance... wow.

Long story short, I used go compare to try and find a few cheaper quotes, and was shocked to see the magical 1 had been switched to a 3....

My current policy was for about £1250 or something, but now the best I can find online is £3200 or so!!!! the moment I put my old address back in it drops to nearer the original figure :'(

What can I do?? I'm not being funny but if everyone is going to charge me £3000 a year for insurance I may just sell the Zed, much to my annoyance.

I have asked my current insurers to give me a quote but they're busy working on it and will email me back ( don't worry I will start a new policy for comparison as well, thats how I got a cheaper price last time hehe )

Any insurers on here wanna help?

Or any tips I can use? From what I can tell, it is purely based on my address changing

That's a dull one !!!!, have you moved to a high risk area ?. Might be worth trying to Google car thefts etc between your old post code and new post code

I have no idea mate, I tried to google it, and it said basically its "low" - BH21 6SW if anyone wants to check haha

Can someone confirm ( I'm new to all this ) If I had a previous policy with company X, then start a new policy with the same company, do I lose my "no claims" for that part of the year? I ask cause my dad was on my last policy, and now I don't want him on it ( he has a claim ) and change of address, and job... just a nightmare haha

I know if you swap from company X to company Y it gets lost, which is understandable, but keeping it in the family shouldn't change?

Can someone confirm ( I'm new to all this ) If I had a previous policy with company X, then start a new policy with the same company, do I lose my "no claims" for that part of the year? I ask cause my dad was on my last policy, and now I don't want him on it ( he has a claim ) and change of address, and job... just a nightmare haha

I know if you swap from company X to company Y it gets lost, which is understandable, but keeping it in the family shouldn't change?

You're not starting a new policy in that case, you're simply removing a driver from your existing policy. You won't lose any NCB.

What was your old postcode out of interest? The new one doesn't exactly look high risk to me, but I'm not local to that area.

Hi Mikevv, what's your age please? And where will the car be parked overnight at the new address (garage, driveway, road, etc)?

best,

Nick

Hi Nick, I'm 22 ( August ) The car is parked on the driveway over night, blocked in by 2 other cars hehe

You're not starting a new policy in that case, you're simply removing a driver from your existing policy. You won't lose any NCB.

What was your old postcode out of interest? The new one doesn't exactly look high risk to me, but I'm not local to that area.

Old post code is BH24 1SZ

I moved one street away and saw a marginal increase on my insurance of about £50 - it seems nuts as actually the road is a cul-de-sac instead of a busy through road so the car is theoretically safer but hey thats the numbers game for you - that said to go up x3 seems ridiculous, the only thing I can think of was that your original insurance was far too low for whatever reason?

One of the reasons I left the UK...Come to Greece! It's sunny and I pay 350 quid a year TPF&T (I'm nearly 40 with over 10 years no claims and the car is in a locked underground garage in a respectable suburb of Northern Athens). :)

You don't want to make a claim here though, been through that once (theft), never again. Lost a LOT of money.

Edited by Aashenfox

I moved one street away and saw a marginal increase on my insurance of about £50 - it seems nuts as actually the road is a cul-de-sac instead of a busy through road so the car is theoretically safer but hey thats the numbers game for you - that said to go up x3 seems ridiculous, the only thing I can think of was that your original insurance was far too low for whatever reason?

They were all in the £1200-£1500 range - had 3 quotes like that, so I doubt they were too low, and my quotes for my old house are still in the same price range haha gonna have to wait it out n call around I guess

That's just ridiculous, you've barely gone anywhere!

How much extra is it to cover you for the rest of the year? Or is that what you're waiting for?

That's what I'm waiting for them to tell me. Got a new quote and it goes up around £100 I think, but thats without my dad and an entirely new quote, My current policy runs out in April - I'd rather get the 3rd year NCB, but not for £2000 hahaha

Just a waiting game now I suppose?? see what they come back with?

Aliveboy lives in the ghetto shocker :p:lol:

Unfortunately the "area" for my post code is massive, it includes some of Woking town centre, 4 villages, 2 of which have massive council estates in :( On my actual road there's very little at all reported for Jan-Aug. Surrey isn't all leafy and posh, they've let some riff raff in recently, I guess around 27 years ago ;):lol:

*edit: changed non-nonsensical sentence*

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 1

double check your settings in the comparrison website sometimes the smallest thing can make it shoot up... mine was actually cheaper without my parents on it (im 23 in less than a month)

Also the crime in the area is very low my postcode has had 14 vehicle related crimes in august, January-August i'm looking upwards of 50 and my policy (currently) is 1100 quid and thats more down to the fact i have 6 points, definately check your settings! hopefully you get it sorted

I moved one street away and saw a marginal increase on my insurance of about £50 - it seems nuts as actually the road is a cul-de-sac instead of a busy through road so the car is theoretically safer but hey thats the numbers game for you - that said to go up x3 seems ridiculous,

Mine was the same. Moved from an extremely busy city main road which saw an accident happen outside my house once every few months, to a very quiet cul-de-sac in a quiet pensioner town only to find my insurance went up as the new post code was a "higher risk" - simply because it included some dodgy areas in the next town.

What I usually do is to just have a play on confused.com. One year adding my 90 year old granny dropped my premium on my zed. Quite why they felt she was a safer risk than me I dont know. But then last year, removing any oldies from my policy actually reduced it. Changing job title increased it. Saying I was married rather than co-habiting increased it. Saying I parked it in the road and not on my drive reduced the premium. Changing from third party only to fully comp reduced it. Just have a play!

Edited by rabbitstew

If it was me, I would not mention the move until renewal in April 17, its only 6 short month. Then get a fresh new quote that you said it was 100 quid more. This is only my opinion and not suggesting you do that lol. They are robbing baskets more often than not with huge mark ups, BUT you are just 22 and thats High Risk to them. Joys of owning a 3500Ltr V6.

Another way is to get a 100 quid clio. Do a change of vehicle and address on that till April.

If it was me, I would not mention the move until renewal in April 17, its only 6 short month.

And if the car gets stolen? If he was involved in a crash they'd ask to see his license and V5C, so unless he also commits MORE fraud by not changing those, they'd find out. Definitely wouldn't do this. It's fraud, illegal and pretty risky.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I left the UK...Come to Greece!

Quite a commute to Birmingham wouldnt you say?? :lol:

Phone a broker - a real life motor insurance broker and explain the situation to them, theres probably an anomaly in the quote system that needs a human pair of eyes to look at it and realise its bollocks. BIBA would be my first stop although I cant say Ive ever asked them anything like this before, yuo need a broker and not a comparison company

One of the reasons I left the UK...Come to Greece! It's sunny and I pay 350 quid a year TPF&T (I'm nearly 40 with over 10 years no claims and the car is in a locked underground garage in a respectable suburb of Northern Athens). :)

You don't want to make a claim here though, been through that once (theft), never again. Lost a LOT of money.

That insurance price seems comparable to the UK, I'm paying about £500 fully comp for a pretty heavily modified car incl. NOS. The sun however, isn't comparable :lol: